Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Default Marvel series where the interior art is better than the covers

Having just started getting into comics a few months ago, what I'm asking might be blasphemy here, but I was wondering if there are any marvel series where you guys like the interior art better than the covers.

I ask because I am absolutely loving the art from immortal hulk, but I don't really care too much for the cover art style.

What do you folks think?
    Baby Thanos

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I can't think of anything off the bat but I see far too many series with a great cover as a lure and the interior art is a disappoinment. The She Hulk series was like that to me. Great covers but the artist doing the interiors drew the worst version of She Hulk that I could think of.

Interior art by Javier Bubillo

Cover by Ken Wada

This reminds me of Kitty Pryde's Mekanix from 2002.

Was this a Kitty solo? Why wasn't it called Kitty Pryde or Shadowcat then?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

There are a lot of artists who primarily illustrate covers that I'm not particularly fond of. Almost always the interior art would be more appealing, and visually cohesive. Would have a hard time thinking of any series that continually has had the issue of lackluster cover art paired with solid interiors however.

Invincible Member

Hmm...a lot of times it's the opposite for me, I'll like the cover artists more than the interior artists.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Was this a Kitty solo? Why wasn't it called Kitty Pryde or Shadowcat then?
    If memory serves, she had made the decision to quit being a superhero behind so she could lead a normal life. That entire period of Marvel X-Men comics were weird in that X-Force became X-Static, Havok was in a book called Mutant X, Cable was Soldier X and Deadpool was Agent X.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    If memory serves, she had made the decision to quit being a superhero behind so she could lead a normal life. That entire period of Marvel X-Men comics were weird in that X-Force became X-Static, Havok was in a book called Mutant X, Cable was Soldier X and Deadpool was Agent X.
    Rumor is that some of those title changes were about trying to get out of paying Rob Liefeld royalties.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Hmm...a lot of times it's the opposite for me, I'll like the cover artists more than the interior artists.

I found that was true of a lot of marvel books recently for me

Less so since fresh start

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Rumor is that some of those title changes were about trying to get out of paying Rob Liefeld royalties.
    That wouldn't explain Mutant X or Mekanix. Havok was created near the end of the pre-1975 X-men run and Kitty was a Claremont creation (and since he WROTE Mekanix, I still don't get why that book wasn't just called Kitty Pryde).
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Does there have to be a particular reason why it wasn't called Kitty Pryde? Kitty's nice, but I don't think her name sells huge numbers. As with the before mentioned titles it was probably called "Mekanix" because they thought having an X in the title would sell.

And you think an untested title would sell? Why would you market something under an unrecognisable name?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    And you think an untested title would sell? Why would you market something under an unrecognisable name?
    What anyone here thinks is irrelevant, and it didn't sell particularly well at the time. As to why the book was called "Mekanix" outside of the fact that it has an "X" in it, well that's a question I don't think any person posting on the CBR message boards would have a feasible way to answer.

Also, super off-topic.

Unless I think of something pertaining to the actual subject of the thread, I'm done here.

This is some of the worst i have ever seen:
    4in9bpoagcr11.jpg