Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    South Pacific was awesome, but I was thinking of non-musocal scores. I agree that Musicals are a different category.
    Well in that case, I'll just say any movie that used a musical score done by Ennio Morricone.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

John Williams' Star Wars score followed closely by Superman. Superman has my favourite film theme ever but as an overall score Star Wars is still the one to beat.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Well in that case, I'll just say any movie that used a musical score done by Ennio Morricone.
    You can never go wrong with Morricone.

Lawrence of Arabia is pretty ace.

Incredible Member

Here is one from a movie that almost no one ever saw.

Stardust. Directed by the greatest director few people know much about, Matthew Vaughn.

Star studded cast, original place I saw charlie cox from daredevil, scored by Ilan Eshkeri.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKTU76tteRQ

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    You can never go wrong with Morricone.
    True.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1u-SP4RjPU

Empty is thy hand!

I can't choose. It's like deciding between which baby you love less. It's hard to quantify certain kinds of beauty.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Mine tend to be oldies: My favorite film composers are Franz Waxman, Erich Korngold, Bernard Herrmann (can't believe his name hasn't been mentioned yet), John Williams, James Horner (mostly for Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan)

Scores

Bride of Frankenstein - Franz Waxman
    Sunset Boulevard - Franz Waxman
    Erich Korngold - The Adventures of Robin Hood

John Williams....yikes where do you begin?
    Dracula
    Jaws
    Star Wars
    Empire Strikes Back (which I think is actually the better score)
    Superman

Bernard Herrmann

Ghost and Mrs Muir (one of his personal favorites)
    Vertigo
    Pyscho
    Obsession (completed just before his death )

My standouts would be:

Vangelis on Bladerunner for its sheer sumptuous feel.
    Shore on LOTR:Fellowship for the thematic work.
    Williams on Jaws for one of the most iconic moments in film music history.
    Williams on Star Wars because of that glorious operatic element he brought back to movies.
    Morricone on The Good the Bad and the Ugly because it is the first theme I was ever conscious of existing and loving.
    Herrmann’s North by Northwest because it’s just the most fitting opening theme I have ever heard.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 10-15-2018 at 03:22 PM.

Composers ... Bernstein, Elfman, and Williams ... they are the giants to me. Vangelis is close with Chariots of Fire and Bladerunner and Steiner for Casablanca and Gone with the Wind.

Single films would be ... Flash Gordon (Queen rules!), Back to the Future (Silvestri), LotR (Shore's stuff), Godfather (Rota), and The Good, The Bad And The Ugly (Morricone).

I'm partial to Berstein's Magnificent Seven, True Grit, and Ghostbusters scores, Elfman's Batman and Edward Scissorhands, and Williams has giant catalog I enjoy.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 10-15-2018 at 03:49 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Retired

I don't really like Williams or Elfman that much. When I first heard the big brassy sounds in Williams movies, it offended my taste. I like that for what it is and I love SUPERMAN, but I don't want music intruding so much and pushing me to feel things. It's too much. Likewise Elfman and the Batman movies. I like some of those melodies, but I don't believe a movie should rely so heavily on music to build up a scene.

I much prefer musical scores that work in the movie as part of the soundscape.

This may be the Trekkie in me, but I find myself humming Jerry Goldsmith's score from The Motion Picture/First Contact to other space exploration movies that really soak in the visuals, like Interstellar. And by that, I mean some of the slow build and quieter, more patient sections rather than the bombastic parts that it's more known for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oWqFnalzKg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARcgqTx3NOg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiK1...1MKP_&index=28
    Last edited by Cyke; 10-15-2018 at 07:42 PM.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    This may be the Trekkie in me, but I find myself humming Jerry Goldsmith's score from The Motion Picture/First Contact to other space exploration movies that really soak in the visuals, like Interstellar. And by that, I mean some of the slow build and quieter, more patient sections rather than the bombastic parts that it's more known for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oWqFnalzKg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiK1...1MKP_&index=28
    So it's not just me!

I'm not even a huge Trekkie but the First Contact theme is one of the great underrated movie themes. Combine that with the acknowledged masterpiece that is the main theme for TNG/ TMP and you have a real winner.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Mighty Member

I guess I'd pick the most obvious choice: the "Star Wars" original trilogy.

yeah, if you listen to a lot of classical music the music of John Williams can be hyper-romantic, pandering, and schmaltzy... but for Star Wars it was a perfect fit. actually made these ground-breaking genre films into the classics that they are. if these films didn't have such a great soundtrack these films probably would have been cult classics instead of the pop culture behemoths that they have become. (okay, maybe they wouldn't have been as obscure as "Space Hunter" or "Flash Gordon"... but, y'know, they wouldn't be as huge as they are now)

"Star Wars" works superbly well as a soundtrack and also as a stand-alone piece of music in the concert hall.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I really regret not seeing John Williams conduct the Chicago Symphony orchestra in a program featuring his film work earlier this spring.