Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Thoughts on Michael Bendis at DC?

Obviously, Bendis is a big name in the comic book community but I haven’t read much of his work. So I can’t really judge the guy, but I have heard a lot of negative things about him.
    The disregard for continuity, sjw politics and apparently there is this thing known as
    “Bendis-speech" where one character says something and then someone else repeats it as an answer or something like that. And i mean, we already got one Tom King at DC.
    I haven’t experienced much of this firsthand but marvel fans didn’t seem too unhappy to see him leave.
    And then while reading “the man of steel” I came across a huge red flag.
    (SPOILERS!) At the end of “The Oz Effect” Jor-El is pulled away by this blue light
    (Dr. Manhattan) and that’s the last we see of him. Until this story where he just shows up out of thin air and picks up Jon for a little field trip across the universe. And Kal just lets his son go?
    But what irked me the most was how they completely ignored the established continuity. As if the OZ Effect never happened. I mean, you’d think they address what happened to the guy or at least have Superman show some conser. Last time they were with each other Kal was trying to save him from the “blue light”. Overall the story wasn’t anything special but definitely not much to judge by.
    I get that this arc was supposed to set up his tenure going forward and that lots of writers make little “tweaks” in continuity to fit their narrative, but the Oz Effect was just too recent and tied to a much bigger event (Doomsday Clock)
    And when you have in mind the guy’s reputation it’s kind of hard to cut him any slack.
    So how do you guy feel about all this? And what’s up with this new imprint...

Astonishing Member

He's bringing back Young Justice and is most likely going to throw out all the sketchy stuff that contributed to their character derailment. Bendis is good in my opinion.

Also his Superman run is somewhat decent.I don't agree with some of the stuff he's done but it hasn't been the trainwreck I thought it was going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    He's bringing back Young Justice and is most likely going to throw out all the sketchy stuff that contributed to their character derailment. Bendis is good in my opinion.

Also his Superman run is somewhat decent.I don't agree with some of the stuff he's done but it hasn't been the trainwreck I thought it was going to be.
    Rebirth already retconned that out anyway.

Personally? Not a fan of his Doomsday-wannabe character that supposedly destroyed Krypton. Which has taken up a good chunk of Superman and Supergirl. He canceled Super Sons just to ship Jon off into space with Jor-El (and still no explanation on how Jor-El is magically back, nor why Supes is suddenly trusting him with his son).

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Rebirth already retconned that out anyway.
    Has it?

I thought Rebirth still runs with new52 history and has only restored somethings from before flashpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    Has it?

I thought Rebirth still runs with new52 history and has only restored somethings from before flashpoint.
    Nope. Things like Tim's pre-Flashpoint history has been brought back. Along with that, when Future Tim mentioned Connor awhile back to present Tim, present Tim had no idea who that was.

Also, things like the sex pirate Amazons were erased (an illusion, the real ones were never like that), Diana and Clark never dated (Diana and Bruce were both at the Fortress of Solitude to help Clark and Lois as Lois gave birth to Jon), the original Titans team was brought back (along with original Wally West), etc.

His Action Comics is stronger than Superman but overall I’ve enjoyed him. I suspect how Jor-El returned will either have some story significance or be ignored and either is fine. Oz Effect was pretty terrible but it’s interesting to see what happens with a living Jor-El in canon.

Extraordinary Member

I'm liking him a lot so far. I liked some of his Marvel work. His New Avengers run was good to me until it wasn't, I did follow his Iron Man run for a bit, and I did read some of the big mega-events he helmed. But he was never one of my must-read Marvel writers. His Superman and Action runs, though, have been making him one of my go-to Superman writers.

Has it?

The New 52 history has been essentially moot since at least Superman Reborn. The state of the timeline as it is currently is basically Pre-Flashpoint, but with still some huge chunks of history missing, like the JSA, the (original) YJ, the NTT, and the original JLA. Though, who knows, maybe some of that's been brought back?
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 10-12-2018 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Nope. Things like Tim's pre-Flashpoint history has been brought back. Along with that, when Future Tim mentioned Connor awhile back to present Tim, present Tim had no idea who that was.

Also, things like the sex pirate Amazons were erased (an illusion, the real ones were never like that), Diana and Clark never dated (Diana and Bruce were both at the Fortress of Solitude to help Clark and Lois as Lois gave birth to Jon), the original Titans team was brought back (along with original Wally West), etc.
    Holy cow, didn't know DC got rid of that one. Thanks

Just one question if you know, In New52 tim's parents are alive (just in witness protection), is that still in?

Holy cow, didn't know DC got rid of that one. Thanks

Just one question if you know, In New52 tim's parents are alive (just in witness protection), is that still in?
    Unsure. When Tim popped back up, it was rather vague on his parents. And last anyone saw, he and Stephanie left Gotham for the time being.

Astonishing Member

At this point, continuity is a bad joke. Not even the writers and editorial know what's happening.

Astonishing Member

I remember when he made Flash say 'Caca poopoo'.

He's been gold for Superman thus far. The books are selling well first and foremost but there's an added feeling of importance outside the comics because he's keeping the Superman mythos in geekdom news with teases, hype, and just a general air of anticipation that you usually don't see out of DC anywhere else but the Bat line anymore. The Wonder Comics imprint with revived beloved characters in theory could be another home run, though of course there is no execution on that whatsoever to judge any further than just loving the idea.

But so far so good.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-12-2018 at 11:29 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Loving his Superman run thus far. He has a great voice for the character.

I've got some minor complaints about his Superman and Action runs so far, but overall it's very strong work from him. It's got potential to be one of of really good runs on the titles. I'm especially liking his work on Metropolis' organized crime, something that, outside of Intergang, hasn't really been done much with in recent years.

Fantastic Member

Nice balanced debate. I have yet to read Bendis and I Don't want to jump on the bashing bandwagon. Make my own mind up. Maybe Bendis will read comments and retro-fixed that Joe-El continuity glitch, if he hasn't already.