Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    Really enjoying this more than Jurgen's run.
    Me too. I could barely get through his stuff. I found the issues piling up unread for months at a time. I don't think it was bad, I just found it totally generic, safe and lacking in any sort of voice. They were workmanlike and solid. I'm finding much more excitement in Bendis' run and I'm reading each issue as they come out.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I learned a while back that there is no right way, people with that much hate don't want those characters in the first place. There's no "winning" here.
    Wow… just wow. You try to make an actual valid argument and explain the reason you feel a certain way and people just ignore you and make up their own reasons to explain how YOU feel.
    You give up? No. I give up, trying to have a reasonable discussion with you.
    And just for the record, I don't hate anyone. And I really doubt other people hate anyone just because they don’t want to see a teenage girl replace Batman. It’s really not that hard to understand but I guess you just don’t want to because it doesn't align with your agenda.
    Either way, If you are not going to make a counter argument just stop commenting.
    Besides this is not what this thread is about

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I think it's a bad idea to give one creator too much control over the company. I'm thinking in particular of people like Geoff Johns. Or even someone like Grant Morrison. I get that they wanted to lure him over but letting him have complete control strikes me as risky. Especially if someone else has a better idea for a character but he gets first shot.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by starduck View Post
    Does anyone else find it annoying when things like acknowledging racial and sexual minorities exist get called "sjw politics"
    Depends how it is handled and used in the story. In some cases it is done very poorly and in others it is fine. I don't think you can say it is completely one way or the other and things like "sjw" this or "sjw" that are terms used to antagonize both sides it feels like. It is one of those situations where you have to look at them individually and take them case by case, but people get so sensitive about these things where they have already dug in their heels on one side or the other and you can't really have any discussions about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerr View Post
    Wow… just wow. You try to make an actual valid argument and explain the reason you feel a certain way and people just ignore you and make up their own reasons to explain how YOU feel.
    You give up? No. I give up, trying to have a reasonable discussion with you.
    And just for the record, I don't hate anyone. And I really doubt other people hate anyone just because they don’t want to see a teenage girl replace Batman. It’s really not that hard to understand but I guess you just don’t want to because it doesn't align with your agenda.
    Either way, If you are not going to make a counter argument just stop commenting.
    Besides this is not what this thread is about
    I was more so talking about the legions of racist trolls and irrational complainers that pop up anytime anything minority related is announced but go on. If you have valid reasoning's for not liking certain choices the big 2 makes then my post doesn't really apply to you.

Ultimate Member

And how exactly has “White Supremacy” entered comics? And this has nothing to do with being racist or sexist.
    But when you take a pre-established character who has existed for decades and has
    Developed a heavy fan following and replace them with a Black or Hispanic teenager for the
    Sake of being progressive, I can imagine fans won’t be happy with the changes.
    Why is this so hard for some people to understand?
    It’s kind of like the whole Titans-Starfire controversy. And before you respond with usual go-to
    Response (“Ohh, but Starfire is orange, not Black or White so why does it matter blah blah”)
    Let me explain something that should be blatantly obvious. Yeah, Starfire isn’t black or white. She’s Orange BUT she best resembles and possesses the features of a Caucasian woman.
    George Perez has even stated that the character was based on Red Sonja. And one of the most popular depictions of Starfire is the 2003 Teen Titans tv series where she was practically white witw a slight orange tint to her skin. I MEAN REALLY!!?? Is that too DIFFICULT to UNDERSTAND!!!
    It’s funny cause most people who are defending this aren’t even really fans of the show
    (MOST!!! ok..) Even some black fans of the teen titans think its weird.
    And don’t get this twisted, I’d be just as outraged if they would have made Cyborg in Justice League
    White, Asian, Hispanic or any other race or color other than black.
    Was it really that hard to just hire a white actress to play Starfire and give her an orange tan?
    And everybody would be happy. There are plenty of ways of introducing new characters, take Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz as examples of how to do it right. This really wasn’t the point of this thread but I felt the need to respond since you brought it up.
    And btw I like that quote you have, It’s funny…
    reminds me of a similar one I know...
    The whole comicsgate discussions have been banned on cbr so I can’t really go into too many specifics.

That being said, the whole talk about replacement heroes is void now because all the original characters have been restored months ago. They were temporary changes that were obviously going to run a short course and see the originals return. Folks on YouTube and social media are just using these talking points because it’s a low hanging fruit and can make a quick buck off them.

Regarding Starfire, the controversy is overblown. Yes, Anna Diop’s outfit looked quite ridiculous (and the hair for me should have been colored dreads or braids and not the curls they went for) in the promotional pictures but the hate she’s gotten has crossed over into full blown racism which is totally unacceptable. Starfire isn’t from Earth so literally anyone from any race or ethnicity can portray the character. It’s nothing new, Zoe Saladana (an Afro-Latina) played Gamora who also looked like a white woman with green skin but it’s not really an issue because GoTG worked very well as a movie. If Anna Diop plays whatever she’s given very well (and so far she’s gotten praise) then so be it. Her looking like a white woman shouldn’t be a deal breaker at all.
    Last edited by Username taken; 10-16-2018 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The whole comicsgate discussions have been banned on cbr so I can’t really go into too many specifics.

That being said, the whole talk about replacement heroes is void now because all the original characters have been restored months ago. They were temporary changes that were obviously going to run a short course and see the originals return. Folks on YouTube and social media are just using these talking points because it’s a low hanging fruit and can make a quick buck off them.

Regarding Starfire, the controversy is overblown. Yes, Anna Diop’s outfit looked quite ridiculous (and the hair for me should have been colored dreads or braids and not the curls they went for) in the promotional pictures but the hate she’s gotten has crossed over into full blown racism which is totally unacceptable. Starfire isn’t from Earth so literally anyone from any race or ethnicity can portray the character. It’s nothing new, Zoe Saladana (an Afro-Latina) played Gamora who also looked like a white woman with green skin but it’s not really an issue because GoTG worked very well as a movie. If Anna Diop plays whatever she’s given very well (and so far she’s gotten praise) then so be it. Her looking like a white woman shouldn’t be a deal breaker at all.
    I think you misunderstand the point though. Technically Anna Diop could “play the role very well”
    But you could say that about almost any actor playing any role. One of the things I love so much about these type of movies and tv shows is seeing my favorite comic book characters come to life. So it can be frustrating when those characters aren’t portrayed truthfully, especially for the sake of filling out a Hollywood checklist. You know what I mean? As far as Gamora and the GOTG, those guys were pretty much nobodies before the movie came out. They could have literally done anything and I doubt much people would have cared. They just didn’t have such a
    massive fan following if any (obviously that has now changed) so even if Gamora hadn’t been green I don’t think anyone would have mind. But she was and she looked great because the studio could afford it! If Titans had the budget to make Starfire the way they did Gamora that would be fantastic! But since they can't, wouldn't it be easier to just tan a white actress? That’s all I’m trying to say...And about the racism I completely agree. Racism is an awful and nasty thing that doesn't belong anywhere in this world! But I also believe that it’s being blown out of proportion as well. I haven’t encountered anyone really attacking the actress personally. Just a bunch of people on Facebook making fun of the costume they gave her (which you yourself said looked ridiculous) and pretty much just saying the same things I am. I mean is she really being harassed? I get it’s a touchy subject but people voicing their opinions that she isn't right for the role versus actually insulting her personally are two very distinct things. I just looked up her twitter to make sure I wasn’t talking out of my ass and I’m not. She’s actually getting lots of support. Maybe there were more of them before then there are now but either way those people are idiots.
    I don’t believe in bullying someone just because you’re unhappy with something that isn’t even their fault. And I'm still going to check the show out and hope it’s good regardless of the issues I have but i really wish Starfire was more comic accurate.
    Last edited by Jokerr; 10-16-2018 at 11:42 PM.

Ultimate Member

I think you misunderstand the point though. Technically Anna Diop could “play the role very well”
    But you could say that about almost any actor playing any role. One of the things I love so much about these type of movies and tv shows is seeing my favorite comic book characters come to life. So it can be frustrating when those characters aren’t portrayed truthfully, especially for the sake of filling out a Hollywood checklist. You know what I mean? As far as Gamora and the GOTG, those guys were pretty much nobodies before the movie came out. They could have literally done anything and I doubt much people would have cared. They just didn’t have such a
    massive fan following if any (obviously that has now changed) so even if Gamora hadn’t been green I don’t think anyone would have mind. But she was and she looked great because the studio could afford it! If Titans had the budget to make Starfire the way they did Gamora that would be fantastic! But since they can't, wouldn't it be easier to just tan a white actress? That’s all I’m trying to say...And about the racism I completely agree. Racism is an awful and nasty thing that doesn't belong anywhere in this world! But I also believe that it’s being blown out of proportion as well. I haven’t encountered anyone really attacking the actress personally. Just a bunch of people on Facebook making fun of the costume they gave her (which you yourself said looked ridiculous) and pretty much just saying the same things I am. I mean is she really being harassed? I get it’s a touchy subject but people voicing their opinions that she isn't right for the role versus actually insulting her personally are two very distinct things. I just looked up her twitter to make sure I wasn’t talking out of my ass and I’m not. She’s actually getting lots of support. Maybe there were more of them before then there are now but either way those people are idiots.
    I don’t believe in bullying someone just because you’re unhappy with something that isn’t even their fault. And I'm still going to check the show out and hope it’s good regardless of the issues I have but i really wish Starfire was more comic accurate.

OK. Fair enough. But I've seen a lot of ugly things said about Anna Diop which isn't fair to her, she's just an actress taking a role and honestly she did a pretty good job from the first episode that i've seen. Although you might be thrown because the Titans show is pretty much nothing like the comics.

You should check out Titans, the first episode isn't the train wreck that people thought it would be. I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I expected.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I think it's a bad idea to give one creator too much control over the company. I'm thinking in particular of people like Geoff Johns. Or even someone like Grant Morrison. I get that they wanted to lure him over but letting him have complete control strikes me as risky. Especially if someone else has a better idea for a character but he gets first shot.
    It's a problem that I've witnessed in the last few years with the rise of the "super writer".

Honestly, I have a problem with some creators approach to certain characters. I was actually afraid Bendis would break Superman's family but it seems he has a story he wants to tell with them. I just hope it doesn't end with Supes losing his family or something.

Never mind

10char
    Last edited by Flashback; 10-17-2018 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Not worth derailing the thread

BANNED

Ηis Earth At The Phantom Zone arc is pretty much enjoyable.

Mighty Member

You shouldn't take things so literally. I said “white” the same way you’d say “I like dogs” Without having to name every breed and mixed breed of dog in existence. I wouldn't care what race the actress was as long as she looked comic accurate to Starfire in the comics or tv series.
    sorry
    I think that I am still irritated about being unfairly accused of racism and bigotry on Twitter for suggesting that casting a tan colored skin woman would be an easier route for Starfire if they weren't going to have her walking around with orange skin all the time.

Heck....I actually like the Starfire in the Injustice 2 Video game. She has a complexion similar to mine.

As for the show, I am trying to keep an open mind. I want it to succeed.
    If Anna Diop acts like she grasps the character in the comics in major ways, I'll be fine with her as Starfire.

I have no positive view nor negative view about the show.
    I need to watch 5 episodes.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.