Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

He certainly made a total mess of things from my perspective, but he also hasn't written anything that's made me rush out and buy another issue.
    And it's still early days. Let's see what his body of work looks like after 12 months.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Ultimate Member

What are "sjw" politics? Comicsgate isn't a thing on CBR.

Anyway, Bendis has been pretty solid on Superman.

It's been one of the better runs on the title that I've read.

I've only read Man of Steel and Action Comics #1000 so no opinion so far. But I'm beyond excited for Young Justice and the return of the YJ gang.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

as others have said, some of his marvel work is quite good. it's not his daredevil or dark avengers or ultimate spider-man i had a problem with -- those books were fantastic -- it's when he starts churning out company-wide crossovers and thinking too big that we start running into problems.

though it's VERY early, i think his action comics has been extraordinary and his superman pretty good. i'm glad he decided to split them up and give us two different superman story lines a month rather than linking them together. i will buy the crap out of young justice. survey says: the experiment is thus far successful. when he begins to throw out phrases like and it's gonna change EVERYTHING!... guard yourselves accordingly.

I'm reading his Superman stuff...the MOS mini series was...fine. Nothing special. Action has been great, I think. Superman has been hit and miss for me. Although issue 4 was much better than the first 3 issues...the first three to me, the storytelling was not paced well and was a bit disjointed, in my opinion. Whether thats on BMB or the artist (likely both) I don't know.

Fantastic Member

It's just sort of "there" for me. There are good moments, but there's mischaracterization, new pet characters, a "major" new bad guy that's turning into a dud, and the whole thing is far too decompressed for a monthly schedule. I wasn't impressed with Man of Steel either.

I'm someone who reads for the story, not because of hype. The "what REALLY happened to Krypton!" junk and the constant hints and rumors that Bendis is about to completely upend the family dynamic for no reason don't excite me or make me interested; it's the exact opposite. I want writers who put their stamp on a character by telling me a good story, and right now, I don't know that I'm getting that. We're almost a third of the way through the yearlong arcs Bendis described, and nothing has grabbed me one way or another to say if I should keep reading or stop reading.

I guess I'm waiting for Bendis to either hook me or make me angry enough to quit. I suspect I'll have an answer once the family dynamic changes are finally revealed.

I'd prefer it if he'd leave his political views at home, and just write entertaining comics.
    Give me Brexit or give me death.

No complaints about Bendis run so far. It feels like he's raised the stakes in the Super books from the villain-of-the-week mode they had been in for quite some time.
    It's still early, but I'm not burning the furniture over this run by any means.
    Last edited by astro@work; 10-16-2018 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Truman Burbank View Post
    It's just sort of "there" for me. There are good moments, but there's mischaracterization, new pet characters, a "major" new bad guy that's turning into a dud, and the whole thing is far too decompressed for a monthly schedule. I wasn't impressed with Man of Steel either.

I'm someone who reads for the story, not because of hype. The "what REALLY happened to Krypton!" junk and the constant hints and rumors that Bendis is about to completely upend the family dynamic for no reason don't excite me or make me interested; it's the exact opposite. I want writers who put their stamp on a character by telling me a good story, and right now, I don't know that I'm getting that. We're almost a third of the way through the yearlong arcs Bendis described, and nothing has grabbed me one way or another to say if I should keep reading or stop reading.

I guess I'm waiting for Bendis to either hook me or make me angry enough to quit. I suspect I'll have an answer once the family dynamic changes are finally revealed.
    About where I'm at.

So far so good for me. He has quite a different voice than Jurgens did in his recent run, but that hasn't been a dealkiller. The villain is a total Worf-effect guy, though. And I keep getting the growing feeling that, at the big climactic moment, a black kid is going to take him out with a Kryptonite gumball or something like that.

But you know, I'm on board until not!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Three pages in and still no mention of the Jinxworld titles? Those were pretty much the reason I was excited to see "Michael Bendis" (damn, it sounds weird...) coming to DC! With the planned Vertigo relaunch still in embryonic status (those two issues of Border Town were not half bad, but it's still too little to do a proper assessment of the operation) Jinxworld is officially the standard-bearer of author-driven comic books at DC and it seems that nobody is talking about it at all in this forum.

As far as I'm concerned, I've seen onlt good things so far.

Pearl was the absolute surprise amongst the new entries. Not only it's probably Michael Gaydos's best work to date, but it's the kind of noir story (Yakuza, protagonist who sees their life purpose derailed and just a tad of oddity -- Pearl's skin condition -- to give spice to the whole ensemble) that I personally can't get enough of.

Cover promised to be a graphic masterpiece and David Mack delivered exactly that. Plus the fact that the protagonist is a comic book author (and an absolutely realistic take at the realities of being one) is a very underused concept in American comics, where such professionals are almost exclusively used either as demiurges or comic relief.

United States vs. Murder Inc.. Oeming and Bendis (of Powers fame) together again in high-stakes Mafia drama. I was sold one second after reading the announcement. Nothing more to say, sorry.

Scarlet was something I dearly missed during the years Jinxworld was dormant. And now she's back. As of now, Maleev's art hasn't yet managed to impress me as it used to do in the first 10 issues back when the title was published under the Icon label, though it must be said that the environment where the titular character moves is so different from the past that perhaps it just doesn't play to the artist's strengths.

Overall, this Bendis Renaissance has my official seal of approval.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I will be all over the Young Justice book though!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Does anyone else find it annoying when things like acknowledging racial and sexual minorities exist get called "sjw politics"

Mighty Member

Loving his Superman run so far. And I read Pear, which is quite good. Looking forward to his Young Justice and Naomi.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    When he's not Doc Doom says to Cpt Marvel "your whore's heart".
    It doesn't surprise me what he makes characters say anymore.