Page 102 of 105 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105 LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 1569

Thread: Dark Phoenix

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Serious question. Did you watch the movie? Because...

spoilers:
    Jean doesn’t become Dark Phoenix in the movie. The story about her evolving from that fate thanks to Xavier having hope in Jean controlling her powers. Similar to how DOFP was about Xavier turning Raven away from becoming Mystique. Both Dark Phoenix and DOFP even have the same narration opening about evolving beyond a destined fate.

The notion of Jean being the X-Men’s greatest foe is a marketing misdirection.
    end of spoilers
    I did watch it. In fact, I went to the first screening on the first day. I have even admitted in this thread that it was entertaining. I get what they were going for. Nevertheless, the execution left little to be desired.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    It wasn't marketing misdirection it was bad story telling. Jean wasn't the "enemy" technically in the Dark Phoenix Saga since the X-Men wanted to save her thru out the storyline. But the Phoenix persona no matter if going with the cosmic entity or darkside of Jean reveled in committing acts of evil and while not their greatest foe she is their greatest threat. The film tried to tell this story but failed this wasn't misdirection it was ineptitude.
    This. 100%.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Sad fact is you and many fans put more thought into wait was done in these films than the filmmakers for these films.
    I remember Kinberg saying in a recent interview that it was about Jean having control over her own destiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I did watch it. In fact, I went to the first screening on the first day. I have even admitted in this thread that it was entertaining. I get what they were going for. Nevertheless, the execution left little to be desired.
    Couldn’t agree more.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    And remember, Kevin Feige was also the producer of X-Men for a while, without the experience and lesson he had learned from these movies, there would be no MCU. MCU is good but it didn't come from nowhere.
    This is true, there would be no MCU without the X-men franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    reviews are harsh enough to kill off bad franchises within 3-5 years.
    Not really. There was a study a couple years back saying that RT doesn’t effect the performance of a film neither negatively or positively

https://r-login.wordpress.com/remote...02554546%2F&h=

Just saying it would be better since most of the problem came after he left. Starting from X-3.

Not really, X-Men got quite a few good movies and was able to go through without hard reboot, that's worthy to give credit to.

Like or not, it's been there for 20 years, and its original material never ever cared about continuity, it's not like they turned gold into turd.[/QUOTE]

conceptual art Dark Phoenix 1 version/ Captain Marvel

The two parter was a thing until 2 months before filming and Fox had not decided which studio it would sell itself to at that point.
    The story that was told needed no other parts to it, because it wasn't the Dark Phoenix story we all know from the comics. It was something that had elements of that, but had quite a different message and goal. I'm glad, though, because had this been a Part I, chances are good we'd never have seen a Part II. Which is a REALLY sad way to go out. As it was, I was quite satisfied.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    The story that was told needed no other parts to it, because it wasn't the Dark Phoenix story we all know from the comics. It was something that had elements of that, but had quite a different message and goal. I'm glad, though, because had this been a Part I, chances are good we'd never have seen a Part II. Which is a REALLY sad way to go out. As it was, I was quite satisfied.
    Had it been two parts, they would have been filmed simultaneously as one movie. So yeah, we would have seen part 2

BANNED

There are only TWO ways to make the Dark Phoenix saga appealing to comic book fans:

1- Do a 15-episode X-Men TV series with cinematic production quality. Featuring the X-Men. Make Jean become Phoenix in Season 2 or 3, make her turn into Dark Phoenix in Season 4 and get killed on the moon.

2- 5 movies. Jean is Marvel Girl in the first two. She becomes Phoenix in #3. She's Phoenix in #4. She turns into Dark Phoenix in #5. Same actress in all 5 movies.

End of the story.

Astonishing Member

The I think a huge part of the problem is that they are overshadowed by the original cast.
    Yeah I don't believe that at all. Eventually every movie has a shelf life. The writing was on the wall for X-Men with Apocalypse. No one cared about Godzilla 2, Secret Pets 2, Lego Movie 2, MIB 4. No one cares enough about these movies/franchises.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Had it been two parts, they would have been filmed simultaneously as one movie. So yeah, we would have seen part 2
    It would have been interesting to see if Fox fleshed out the movie and the first one still bombed big time if they would have gone and released part 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Yeah I don't believe that at all. Eventually every movie has a shelf life. The writing was on the wall for X-Men with Apocalypse. No one cared about Godzilla 2, Secret Pets 2, Lego Movie 2, MIB 4. No one cares enough about these movies/franchises.
    I think Logan proved that people still had an interest in X-Men. Wolverine in Apocalypse was one of the film’s main criticisms.

The summer films of 2019 were cannibalizing each other. Aladdin would have probably made a billion dollars considering what Beauty & The Beast made.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    It would have been interesting to see if Fox fleshed out the movie and the first one still bombed big time if they would have gone and released part 2.
    If everyone had went according to plan they would not have delayed the film and put it in June. Jean would have been an actual villain from what I hear.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 06-25-2019 at 08:14 PM.

BANNED

Logan proved people like Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart as they say goodbye in a ridiculously well-reviewed movie. Every movie with the new cast underperformed relative to the old cast.

Astonishing Member

The summer films of 2019 were cannibalizing each other. Aladdin would have probably made a billion dollars considering what Beauty & The Beast made.
    How can that be the case when the majority of summer movies are proving to be underperformers? Aladdin is reaping the benefits of playing in sea of mediocre films. It literally had no competition till Toy Story 4 opened. The summer films are not cannibalizing each other. Box office gross is still down. Lots of articles are being written about how weak this summer is.

https://comicbook.com/movies/2019/06...-dark-phoenix/

http://www.channel4000.com/economy-b...cks/1088966496

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...203007993.html

I enjoyed the movie, but man, a lot of these X-Men films just can't make me care when someone dies. Alex in the last one, Raven in this one, I just kind of shrugged and figured it was to put the focus on other characters.

When this movie was planned to be 2 parts, would Peter have gotten more to do? I've been looking forward to seeing this moment between him and Magneto as father and son for so long. It's been like 20 years their time, what happened to this plot? I wasn't surprised Peter was taken out of the action for most of the movie, but it does make me question why they decided to make him an X-Man at the end of Apocalypse in the first place. His powers are too much of a story breaker (although I guess if Mystique is to be believed, the women have been carrying the team, so maybe he hasn't been solving all the problems since he joined).

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I would love to see a slow introduction though. You don't have to throw every X-Men character into a film but build to introducing them. (Part of me hopes that Marvel uses the Uncanny X-Men as the movie name)
    That would be a fun title, but part of me hopes that they go the Spider-Man route and call it X-Men: Homeschooling.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    However, I think another thing that Fox could have done to make it less of a bomb is actually put the name "X-Men" in the title!

A lot of people say that they didn't know that an X-Men movie was coming out, and while we comics fans know what "Dark Phoenix" means, I don't think DP means a damned thing to the average moviegoer. So anyone just scanning the listings for current movies and comes across the DP name might just keep on scanning because there's no "X-Men" brand name to stop them in their tracks.
    Maybe they figured it'd be the same as Dark Knight or Dark Knight Rises. They didn't need "Batman" in the title, so "X-Men" isn't needed either (although I think the movie should've been X-Men: Dark Phoenix as well). Or maybe the marketing team wanted to evoke Harry Potter feelings, so anyone scanning movie listings would go "Phoenix? Like Order of the Phoenix? Let's do this!"

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    2- 5 movies. Jean is Marvel Girl in the first two. She becomes Phoenix in #3. She's Phoenix in #4. She turns into Dark Phoenix in #5. Same actress in all 5 movies.
    You could do it in half that. Marvel Girl in one movie, Phoenix in the next, and then Dark Phoenix in the final movie. Speaking of "Marvel Girl", I wonder if that's her code name in universe? I only caught Storm, obviously, and a sign for Nightcrawler. Did they all get code names at some point?