Page 81 of 105 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 1569

Thread: Dark Phoenix

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    My cousin saw it last night and I asked him who the bad guys were and his exact words were "I dont know some shape shifter aliens.(Long pause) .....I think."
    Their name is mentioned very briefly. So it’s easy to miss.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Their name is mentioned very briefly. So it’s easy to miss.
    Just maybe you missed his point there....

I can’t tell if this is a joke or not, but just in case you are serious this movie started filming before Captain Marvel.
    Well, it's intentionally tongue-in-cheek, because according to early rumors about the movie, the aliens were originally intended to be Skrulls. Even James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender kind of joked about it, suggesting that was one of the reasons why the ending was reshot.

The X-Men have always had non-mutant fans since the Stan Lee era and considering that...

spoilers:
    its shown that the X-Men have lost favor with the public after what Jean did that is not really a valid complaint.
    end of spoilers
    In the comics, yes, but the larger point I was making is that my removing the "protecting the world that hates and fears them" from the movie, especially early on, the X-Men lose one of the things which makes them distinctive from other superhero teams like the Avengers or Justice League. And yes spoilers:
    while Jean's actions does cause the government to go after and detain mutants considered high-level threats, what do we see by the movie's end? All the X-Men are back at the newly renamed "Jean Grey School for Gifted Youngsters," and a retired Xavier at a cafe playing chess with Magneto. Seems like they got that favor back, especially considering they renamed the school after a wanted criminal.
    end of spoilers

The 200 million is so far, just a guess by journalists. There is a conflicting report on the budget.

Though I disagree with you on the cinematography, CGI, and action. Thought it was. They actually got the guy who did the cinematography for Avatar and the action unit director of Mad Max: Fury Road and it showed imo.
    If those worked for you, that's great. And it's not like there weren't some decent shots, CGI, and action. But like I said, most of the time, it seemed it had the feel of a highly produced tv show than a big budget movie, as I thought most of it looked surprisingly small scale compared to previous X-Men movies. That both Avatar's cinematographer and Mad Max: Fury Road's action unit director were involved makes it even more surprising. Still, that's just my personal opinion.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Why do you do this?
    Do what? say my opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Do what? say my opinion?
    [Insert latest non-mcu comic book movie usually with bad reviews] is better than [insert latest mcu movie with much better reviews].

I'm seeing a pattern here.

You dodn't how you felt about the movie at hand, you just immediately compared it with mcu movie for no reason.

Astonishing Member

Going in with center of the Earth low expectations, I liked it. Best of all there was enough going for it that I didn't leave with the kind of Amazing Spider-Man 2 or Apocalypse aftertastes that would prevent me from considering rewatching those for years after. I wanted a last fix of Fassneto and some Sophienix eye candy and I got my ticket's worth and a little more.

Totes don't see how you could spend a full 200 million (or even Godzilla II's 170 million) on this though, unless part of it went to a bigger final act I was kinda hoping would continue when the movie simply ends.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    [Insert latest non-mcu comic book movie usually with bad reviews] is better than [insert latest mcu movie with much better reviews].

I'm seeing a pattern here.

You dodn't how you felt about the movie at hand, you just immediately compared it with mcu movie for no reason.
    No reason? The MCU movies are the gold standard why wouldn't I compare a CBM to another CBM? If you don't like what I have to say or think I'm picking on the MCU? That's your problem that you have to deal with I can say what I like and unless you're a mod you can't tell me what to post or how to post it sorry.
    Last edited by choptop; 06-07-2019 at 08:09 PM.

Let’s be honest, the broccoli looked silly.
    Twenty years ago I would had said most comic book characters couldn't translate on screen because they would look silly and I was wrong if a purple alien with a nut sack chin can work broccoli people can work.

Also I'm not giving points because Kinberg got cold feet on Skrulls once Marvel announced them at 2017 Comic-Con for Captain Marvel and he decided to rename them D'Bari an alien species from the origin story while keeping them more Skrull than D'Bari. This IMO was like Dark of the Moon Megan Fox got fired and Bay renamed the Sam love interest Carly Spencer the name of Spike's wife from the animated series but it was painfully obvious the role was suppose to be Mikela with very little changed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    My cousin saw it last night and I asked him who the bad guys were and his exact words were "I dont know some shape shifter aliens.(Long pause) .....I think."
    I'm a fan. Even I was left scratching my head wondering who they were until they were mentioned on screen. I can't even remember if Chastain's character is even mentioned by name. I had to search it out after leaving the movie. So I guess they didn't.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Just maybe you missed his point there....
    Yeah, I miss read it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    It settled for a few bland aliens.
    A few? Dude, we saw three small ships arrive. Then, for most of the movie, it was only a handful of them. Once we get to the final battle on the military train, they were coming out of the woodwork like cockroaches.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    A few? Dude, we saw three small ships arrive. Then, for most of the movie, it was only a handful of them. Once we get to the final battle on the military train, they were coming out of the woodwork like cockroaches.
    We don't even see how big the ships actually are, we only got a decent view at the one spying on the orbiting Phoenix. They could've been filled to the cryopod gills with Signs aliens.

But they were certainly down to the last man motivated despite lacking non-physical powers, gotta give them that.

This was a okay movie. It was a Phoenix Force movie and a Jean Grey movie. It was an X-Men movie and it was a Fox movie.

So... it was joyless, soulless, made its point and moved the pieces where they needed to go. I’m proud of everyone involved’s efforts.

That said, Kinberg did his research! Vuk was a deep cut, the finale was from Excalibur 50, and the epilogue was a layman’s understanding of the White Hot Room.

Mighty Member

I'm sorry to hear it's such a let down......but Kinberg wrote Last Stand. Which I absolutely hated.
    I guess I'll go back to watching the first two films, DoFP and The Wolverine again, and think of what might have been!

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Well, it's intentionally tongue-in-cheek, because according to early rumors about the movie, the aliens were originally intended to be Skrulls. Even James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender kind of joked about it, suggesting that was one of the reasons why the ending was reshot.

In the comics, yes, but the larger point I was making is that my removing the "protecting the world that hates and fears them" from the movie, especially early on, the X-Men lose one of the things which makes them distinctive from other superhero teams like the Avengers or Justice League. And yes spoilers:
    while Jean's actions does cause the government to go after and detain mutants considered high-level threats, what do we see by the movie's end? All the X-Men are back at the newly renamed "Jean Grey School for Gifted Youngsters," and a retired Xavier at a cafe playing chess with Magneto. Seems like they got that favor back, especially considering they renamed the school after a wanted criminal.
    end of spoilers

If those worked for you, that's great. And it's not like there weren't some decent shots, CGI, and action. But like I said, most of the time, it seemed it had the feel of a highly produced tv show than a big budget movie, as I thought most of it looked surprisingly small scale compared to previous X-Men movies. That both Avatar's cinematographer and Mad Max: Fury Road's action unit director were involved makes it even more surprising. Still, that's just my personal opinion.
    I mean after all the **** mutants have been through they should actually win some rights back at this point in this timeline. We can't keep pushing down mutants and expect them to stay low in society. Real social minority people have more rights than mutants...