Page 18 of 105 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Phoenix

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    She was the assassin DOFP the film was like doing Batman Begins but spending half the film examing Joe Chill's motivations.
    Tim Burton’s Batman was pretty much that.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonflyJones View Post
    I really don't get the hype. I thought it was pretty terrible like most of their other movies. The only actual enjoyable scenes were when they were fighting the future sentinels. I never understood what people liked about it.

I was annoyed they couldn't even get little shit right...like hair. The one character known for being bald and you got him rolling around with Jesus curls. Let alone the fact that Mystique was a main character and the actual story had little to do with its comic counterpart. That movie was a mess
    I totally agree. I was so excited to see what they were going to do after First Class. That was the only X-Men movie I enjoyed and I wanted to get away from the original cast and do something different. When they showed Magneto putting on his original costume at the end, I couldn't wait to see where they were going to take things.

But then they just rehashed the old characters and made it all about Wolverine again

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    made it all about Wolverine again
    It wasn’t. It was all about Xavier according to the filmmakers. He has the most screentime, dialogue, has a character arc and the movie heavily focuses on his relationship with Mystique. Saying the movie was about Wolverine is like saying the Wolverine and The X-Men cartoon was about Xavier.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramas View Post
    I wonder why some MCU fans feel like this, not watching Days of future past because it was not an MCU flick that more than stomped over all the MCU flicks is not a reason I will ever skip a movie if I had the chance to see it. Name me one MCU movie more bad ass than Days of Future Past you saw on TV to the MCU movies you saw in cinema? Honestly I get why you chose not to see it. this game has been going on for more than 6 years with the soft reboot of first class. what makes you think dark phoenix wont do the same? stomp all over the MCU movies you like so much?
    Pardon me, when did I say I decided to not pay money for these two X-Men films because of the MCU? I've done this with MCU films too like Thor: The Dark World, Iron Man 2 & 3, and Black Panther.

You do know that people can make judgments of films based on what they see in the trailers and from what they hear word of mouth when the film comes out, correct?

If I don't see anything that makes me want to see the film, I don't spend money on it. It's as simple as that.

Point blank: The Phoenix Saga has been tried a number of times now and each time, it's been a pale shadow of the original story. I've seen nothing to suggest they've gotten it right this time in the trailers. I will wait and see what I hear when the movie comes out to decide if I want to spend money on it or not. But at this time, it's a pass for me.

The Phoenix sounds like a great idea on paper but just doesnt work on film in the more grounded terms they want to set these movies in, though I'd argue thats an inherent problem with the X-franchise as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    The Phoenix sounds like a great idea on paper but just doesnt work on film in the more grounded terms they want to set these movies in, though I'd argue thats an inherent problem with the X-franchise as a whole.
    Dark Phoenix was basically a superpowered version of Harvey Dent’s arc in The Dark Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Dark Phoenix was basically a superpowered version of Harvey Dent’s arc in The Dark Knight.
    That is... gross oversimplification.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    That is... gross oversimplification.
    I mean thematically they are very similar. Jean and Harvey are both heroes who were corrupted by villains, causing them to go down a dark path that leads their deaths.

Tim Burton’s Batman was pretty much that.

I mean thematically they are very similar. Jean and Harvey are both heroes who were corrupted by villains, causing them to go down a dark path that leads their deaths.
    Burton definitely was more interested in the villains of his Batman films which has always been a criticism of them

While Two-Face and Phoenix share corruption from outside forces the basic them is vastly different one is a story of corruption by tragedy and the other corruption by power.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 12-26-2018 at 04:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaddieGrey View Post
    They might be mixing both stories. Or just the intros to the stories. Who can say...
    The plot synopsis revealed that it’s more than the intro.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I'm still surprised people like DOFP frankly. It was awful. Singer practically threw out everything that he could of Vaughns because he actually made a good piece of work and just reverted to type. Wasted so many characters, ideas and plotlines its insane. Then led us into Apocalypse.
    The bold is one of the reasons I love DoFP. It's a great movie overall, but I didn't actually like First Class that much. It had some good casting (McAvoy and Fassbender, mainly) and a couple cool sequences (Magneto v South American Nazis and Shaw's death), but there was so much wrong with that movie on a basic level.

I won't get into all my reasons, so as not to derail the thread, but the faster they could jettison a lot of the crap that Vaughn brought on board, the better. Don't get me wrong, FC is still a better movie than X3 and Origins. It just happens to be the best of the worst, in my humble opinion.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Astonishing Member

Which doesn’t happen in this movie. Magneto wants to kill Jean as shown in the trailer. Don’t know how you misread his intent.

Also doesn’t happened in this movie, but that did happen in the original Dark Phoenix.

That is a part of Jean’s backstory in the comics. Except it was her childhood friend Anna that was in a car accident. Jean wasn’t the cause but her powers manifested during that event.

Mystique dies pretty eariler as the trailer shows. So...
    I think the point was, magneto didn’t need to be in X3 and he doesn’t need to be in this one either. Also he could want to ‘use’ until she flattens Genosha. And neither jean or dark Phoenix were ever ‘evil’ (having malicious intent, like the nazis she’s getting compared too. That line kinda bugs me.

Xavier clearly did something well intentioned, but manipulative, hence why J-law’s mad at him, pretty close.

One was a tragedy jean witnessed and this is a tragedy jean caused...that’s kind of different...

We still don’t ctually know that, though it is possible.

Currently third most anticipated film of 2019 on IMDB.

https://www.thewrap.com/captain-marv...f-2019-photos/

Halston Sage has reportedly been confirmed to be cast as Dazzler in ‘DARK PHOENIX’

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/s...40193637228544

Currently third most anticipated film of 2019 on IMDB.

https://www.thewrap.com/captain-marv...f-2019-photos/
    I am very much anticipating this movie...!