Page 3 of 105 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by MaddieGrey View Post
    I seriously doubt this is true, but it kept popping up yesterday: Dark Phoenix Could Be Disney's First X-Men Movie
    I saw that too, but I don't think it really changes anything. It might just be a technicality because the movie will likely come out after the Disney/Fox merger is finalized.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by MaddieGrey View Post
    I can see this falling victim to a cost-risk analysis by Disney, ie will it cost them more to shevel it on streaming and lose movie revenue? Or Would it hurt the brand to send products to theatres that they didn't create, lose the First Disney X-headline, possibly delay IP integration and lose an opportunity to advance their streaming service?

Time will tell, but I want to see this on the big screen:

Attachment 72594
    Attachment 72595
    The whole rumor that Disney won't release Dark Phoenix is just that. A rumor. And it has been debunked. This isn't a cheap Roger Corman movie that can be easily buried. This is a $200 million movie with A-list actors and actresses. Canceling the movie or dumping it on a streaming service will cost a lot more in the long run because it won't recoup anything at the box office and the actors will likely sue the studio. Given all the time and effort that Fox has put into this movie, it makes no sense to throw it away. If anything, Disney has even more incentive to see it succeed because a successful Dark Phoenix movie reinvigorates the X-men brand. And increasing the value of a brand is a big part of Disney's business model.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    The whole rumor that Disney won't release Dark Phoenix is just that. A rumor. And it has been debunked. This isn't a cheap Roger Corman movie that can be easily buried. This is a $200 million movie with A-list actors and actresses. Canceling the movie or dumping it on a streaming service will cost a lot more in the long run because it won't recoup anything at the box office and the actors will likely sue the studio. Given all the time and effort that Fox has put into this movie, it makes no sense to throw it away. If anything, Disney has even more incentive to see it succeed because a successful Dark Phoenix movie reinvigorates the X-men brand. And increasing the value of a brand is a big part of Disney's business model.
    One word Mowgli

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    One word Mowgli
    Not to mention that if the budget really is around $200 M, then it needs to make something like $500 M to even break even.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

I just don't see Disney putting a mainline X-Men movie on streaming. New Mutants, being a spinoff project, I could totally see, but not Dark Phoenix.

In regards to the budget and making money back, Apocalypse cost around $200M to make, and they recouped that cost. Not by a huge amount, but they did. And that was with three weeks worth of mediocre-to-bad reviews being released beforehand. If this movie's good and gets good word of mouth, it'll easily beat Apocalypse and make its money back. I also think it's gonna be pretty damn good, too.
    Last edited by Sam Robards, Comic Fan; 10-22-2018 at 08:06 AM.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    I just don't see Disney putting a mainline X-Men movie on streaming. New Mutants, being a spinoff project, I could totally see, but not Dark Phoenix.

In regards to the budget and making money back, Apocalypse cost around $200M to make, and they recouped that cost. Not by a huge amount, but they did. And that was with three weeks worth of mediocre-to-bad reviews being released beforehand. If this movie's good and gets good word of mouth, it'll easily beat Apocalypse and make its money back. I also think it's gonna be pretty damn good, too.
    Bad reviews are much much less worrying than mostly indifference from general audience.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

One word Mowgli
    What was the budget on that? I suspect they did it because they thought it was going to bomb due to the Disney version being released not to long ago.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 10-22-2018 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    What was the budget on that? I suspect they did it because they thought it was going to bomb due to the Disney version being released not to long ago.
    No clue the budget is no where online but given the cast and it's at least 50% motion cap and CGI this wasn't cheap. Yes they were afraid it wouldn't do well do to Jungle Book comparisons but also they saved a ton on marketing by selling to Netflix.

Dark Phoenix if it could hurt their plans for the X-Men going forward by either not being good or even they simply want to move on to a MCU reboot they could very likely bury it on streaming either selling it to Netflix an automatic profit and no cost for marketing which can cost almost as much as the film itself in some big releases. Also there is the option of using it to promote their streaming service while simultaneously burying it. Mandolorian the Star Wars series is going to cost 100 million for 10 episodes and I doubt the Live Action Lady and the Tramp is cheap this isn't a service to dump low cost items so Dark Phoenix isn't an automatic no due to its budget. Also how many would get the service to see the last Fox X-Men (Main Team) film if it ends up the case?

Does this mean that Disney is going to delay the movie premiere yet again??

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

No clue the budget is no where online but given the cast and it's at least 50% motion cap and CGI this wasn't cheap. Yes they were afraid it wouldn't do well do to Jungle Book comparisons but also they saved a ton on marketing by selling to Netflix.

Dark Phoenix if it could hurt their plans for the X-Men going forward by either not being good or even they simply want to move on to a MCU reboot they could very likely bury it on streaming either selling it to Netflix an automatic profit and no cost for marketing which can cost almost as much as the film itself in some big releases. Also there is the option of using it to promote their streaming service while simultaneously burying it. Mandolorian the Star Wars series is going to cost 100 million for 10 episodes and I doubt the Live Action Lady and the Tramp is cheap this isn't a service to dump low cost items so Dark Phoenix isn't an automatic no due to its budget. Also how many would get the service to see the last Fox X-Men (Main Team) film if it ends up the case?
    The merger is expected to be completed in summer of 2019 around the time movie comes out. So it would be Fox that would be marketing the film.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 10-23-2018 at 03:03 PM.

One word Mowgli
    I wouldn't compare that to a Xmen movie myself.
    Last edited by choptop; 10-24-2018 at 02:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I wouldn't compare that to *a Xman movie myself.
    Why?

'an X-Men movie' by the way.

Beyond Shakespearean paradox reading this. This movie originally goes far and wide to distance itself from Disney movies, only to become a Disney movie in the end. It make sense for Kinberg to say the movie had some of the cosmic inspirations from Thor but claims the tone is different from Thor, If this become the first Disney movie, the tone may very much be like Thor. Talk of bad for a film with the title of Dark Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Why?

'an X-Men movie' by the way.
    A Xmen movie Just seems like a bigger deal to big just to sell off to Netflix or something.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    A Xmen movie Just seems like a bigger deal to big just to sell off to Netflix or something.
    Is it though? Apart from Deadpool, they don't exactly set box office on fire.