Page 7 of 105 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    I wonder what the run time for this movie is. Craming all of that into one movie.

It took X-Men TAS 9 full Episodes to tell the Phoenix story. Kinberg is a person I find selfish (for now). He has never directed anything before, he has a cast of babies outside of Xavier, Magneto, Charles. Yet he chose to green-lit such an iconic story into a film as a first time director.
    He answers this in an interview w Colider. The cast aren't babies and w the right vision he could pull it off.

Just rewatched the entire Phoenix Sage and Dark Phoenix Sagas of X-Men TAS and is the best adaptation of the story but its amusing because of broadcast and standards how many times Destroy/Destroyed is used to substitute for Kill/Killed.

Quote Originally Posted by MaddieGrey View Post
    He answers this in an interview w Colider. The cast aren't babies and w the right vision he could pull it off.
    My bad. I meant Mystique, Xavier and Magneto. His cast are babies. they are still too young. Storm, Nightcrawler and Cyclops look like kids in the trailer. Part of the big problem of X-Men Apocalypse was the teen angle, we are only seeing these characters for the first time , to take on such a big villain was a set up for failure. I don't like Infinity War. regardless, it is more believable to see experienced grown ups who have been making these movies for 10 years (Chris Evans, RDJ, Scarlet Johanson. Chris Evans, Mark Ruffulo) fighting Thanos than first time teenagers fighting Apocalypse. Phoenix is the same thing, another epic villain and we have unexperienced teenagers fighting her.

Not that it matters but the direction they went I find foolish. when the timeline was rebooted after DOFP with a young cast of mutants, why did they think it will be good to take on so many iconic xmen stories. Dark Phoenix, Age of Apocalypse? Think about it. the original X-Men movies with an older more experienced cast of established actors (Ian Mckellen, Alan Cumming , Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Patrick Stewart, Famke Janssen) did not dare to go down that part. So why are this teens actors doing so?

Fox/Kinberg should have started with something small, let the cast grow up,get seasoned before they start making this big X-Men stories like Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix. He could pull it off, I really believe he can but I won't say I 100% bet on it.
    Last edited by Marvelgirl; 11-08-2018 at 04:49 AM.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

So....wild speculation? I can dig it.

Hopefully, they (Fox/Kinberg) will put out new info soon.
    Yes. Oracle so far is the closely character she resembles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Just rewatched the entire Phoenix Sage and Dark Phoenix Sagas of X-Men TAS and is the best adaptation of the story but its amusing because of broadcast and standards how many times Destroy/Destroyed is used to substitute for Kill/Killed.
    That’s not nearly as bad as “send you to another dimension”.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I never picked that up. In another episode Gambit used ‘’kill and assassins'’ in one sentence. It must depend on who the writer is and what he is comfortable writing for each episodes.

I never picked that up. In another episode Gambit used ‘’kill and assassins'’ in one sentence. It must depend on who the writer is and what he is comfortable writing for each episodes.
    Corsair is the worst offend when talking about D'Ken and his wife. I think occasionally they could sneak one in but according to John Semper the show runner for 90's Spider-Man TAS they all got hit hard in wake of Batman TAS.

My bad. I meant Mystique, Xavier and Magneto. His cast are babies. they are still too young. Storm, Nightcrawler and Cyclops look like kids in the trailer. Part of the big problem of X-Men Apocalypse was the teen angle, we are only seeing these characters for the first time , to take on such a big villain was a set up for failure. I don't like Infinity War. regardless, it is more believable to see experienced grown ups who have been making these movies for 10 years (Chris Evans, RDJ, Scarlet Johanson. Chris Evans, Mark Ruffulo) fighting Thanos than first time teenagers fighting Apocalypse. Phoenix is the same thing, another epic villain and we have unexperienced teenagers fighting her.

Not that it matters but the direction they went I find foolish. when the timeline was rebooted after DOFP with a young cast of mutants, why did they think it will be good to take on so many iconic xmen stories. Dark Phoenix, Age of Apocalypse? Think about it. the original X-Men movies with an older more experienced cast of established actors (Ian Mckellen, Alan Cumming , Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Patrick Stewart, Famke Janssen) did not dare to go down that part. So why are this teens actors doing so?

Fox/Kinberg should have started with something small, let the cast grow up,get seasoned before they start making this big X-Men stories like Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix. He could pull it off, I really believe he can but I won't say I 100% bet on it.
    Not trying to be a jerk, but I'm going to disagree with all of this.

The only characters that "look too young" are the ones that should have aged decades in universe. They are playing the younger versions of established characters. They need to look younger, especially some of older actors aren't over the hill. The new class doesn't look like teens. They look like a bunch of early to late twenty-somethings. It also helps to use younger actors to revitalize the franchise and build up on that. They should have just focused more on these actors like the MCU did with Spiderman.

Also, the new class' ages have nothing to do with their fighting ability, especially since they still have mentors. Young mutants, including the 05, have taken on tremendous threats even on day one. All this team needs to do is show that they can work together, use what they learned, level up and convincingly take on the movie villians.

Speaking of which, Apocalypse is overrated. He isn't the X-men's Thanos and the storyline they used (not Age of Apocalypse fyi) didn't require a Thanos build up and older actors to be convincing. It required a better movie setup and more focus on the younger actors, plus better writting for the title villlian. Apocalypse was closer to Hela in terms of importance by the film makers. (I really liked that movie!)

Dark Phoenix only requires that the audience is invested with the characters. Thats the only reason it needs more movies before it. Old or young, the X-men can't defeat her. This isn't a Thanos threat either. Its a personal story set in the cosmos. Its a story where the characters fighting ability and experience aren't enough. Its the heart of the characters that needs to show because only those connections could save the day. They can be legit teens and this movie would work as long as they properly established and developed the core memebers, like Jean/Scott/Ororo. The actual plot of the Phoenix Sagas can be done in one movie or two. The heart of the team is what you need to build up to. The cast itself doesn't need to growup to take on big stories.

Thats the main failure in what they are doing. Its not about aping Marvel or doing "small" movies (its a movie go big or go home) or aging the cast to competent age, its about investing in characters and the personal plots they created. The actual plot ideas they wanted to turn into movies are fine and Kinberg can do it if he bothers to do character development.
    Last edited by MaddieGrey; 11-08-2018 at 05:02 PM.

acecon.jpg

Saw on Twitter.
    Last edited by MaddieGrey; 11-09-2018 at 08:58 PM.

BANNED

Is a 2:11 trailer not considered a “full trailer” nowadays? Or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Is a 2:11 trailer not considered a “full trailer” nowadays? Or am I missing something?
    Good point. Also, it might have been person not people. I just hope they talk about Storm's role and Mag's relationship to Quicksilver.

I also want proper costume reveals, ie full Phoenix, and Chastain's character reveal.
    Last edited by MaddieGrey; 11-09-2018 at 09:13 PM.

Good point. Also, it might have been person not people. I just hope they talk about Storm's role and Mag's relationship to Quicksilver.

I also want proper costume reveals, ie full Phoenix, and Chastain's character reveal.
    Storm’s role is likely the same as it is in every Phoenix story she is in. They really shouldn’t explore that relationship since it has nothing to do with Jean. There is a reason why X-Men is not in the title.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Storm’s role is likely the same as it is in every Phoenix story she is in. They really shouldn’t explore that relationship since it has nothing to do with Jean. There is a reason why X-Men is not in the title.
    That'll be an inexcusable mistake, especially when one of the biggest compliants for Apocalypse was not focusing on the new class and this is a Phoenix story with Magneto, Quicksilver and Mystique in prominent roles.

Its a story that affects Jean and her friends. Not exploring Jean's relationships and the people in those relationships will go down poorly.

so will there be toys and other merchandise based on the movie? Hmm..

That'll be an inexcusable mistake, especially when one of the biggest compliants for Apocalypse was not focusing on the new class and this is a Phoenix story with Magneto, Quicksilver and Mystique in prominent roles.

Its a story that affects Jean and her friends. Not exploring Jean's relationships and the people in those relationships will go down poorly.
    Apocalypse was meant to be the closing chapter of the old class. So that was never really a valid complaint. And I’m saying that too much attention shouldn’t be given to the Quicksilver and Magneto relationship.

Nothing suggests that Quicksilver has a prominent role as far I as know and J-Law had only spend week of shooting on this film, iirc. Magneto has had a prominent role in the a Phoenix story, he’s the reason why she’s had been dead for nearly 20 years.

Marvel recently put this on YouTube. Obviously because of the movie.