Page 76 of 105 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 1569

Thread: Dark Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    Jean should not start as the most powerful mutant but as one of the weaker ones. So when she gains the Phoenix Force we can see her reveling in her new power and warning signs of trouble ahead. Then do Mastermind the HC and DP.
    Which ironically given how it ended the original X trilogy got right never thought there could be a day where Last Stand might end up being the "Good" Dark Phoenix story.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Which ironically given how it ended the original X trilogy got right never thought there could be a day where Last Stand might end up being the "Good" Dark Phoenix story.
    It was still way too fast. You need at least one preferably more movies with her as a weaker mutant, at least one to gain the PH and revel in it and another as DP. Someone said it needed a 3-5 movie arc and I think 5 would be the way to go, why rush it?

Astonishing Member

Feel really bad for the cast. All that hard work down the drain. Dark Phoenix could possibly be the lowest grossing domestic X-Men movie in the franchise.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    In some ways I think the set up for Phoenix at least might have been a bit better. They at least teased her power in X2 and had her die, with the resurrection of Phoenix being in the next movie. Not that this couldn't have been more spread out too, but bhis movie seems to jam the death and resurrection all in one film. X-Men movies needed to do a better job mapping out their movies with more long term storytelling. I don't expect them to do what marvel did with nearly 2 dozen movies leading to Infinity War and End Game, but they should at least be able to handle a trilogy.
    Here’s the beauty of the Phoenix storyline, it can literally be an indefinite B plot for like 5-6 films that slowly develops beforebyou actually pull the trigger

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    It was still way too fast. You need at least one preferably more movies with her as a weaker mutant, at least one to gain the PH and revel in it and another as DP. Someone said it needed a 3-5 movie arc and I think 5 would be the way to go, why rush it?
    You need at least one film where they just have some big battle where Jean can be normal but then ends up having her coma and becomes Phoenix at the end. You should probably leave it as a cliffhanger where Jean is missing. The next film can be a standalone story where she comes back with her powers. Then just do two or three films that have nothing to do with it where once or twice s film she goes berserk with her powers. Then do a two part Dark Phoenix film

I'll chime in and agree with those saying Dark Phoenix needs a build up similar to Thanos had in the MCU.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Here’s the beauty of the Phoenix storyline, it can literally be an indefinite B plot for like 5-6 films that slowly develops beforebyou actually pull the trigger
    I thought this approach was set up perfectly with X2. The fate of Jean Grey really needed some time to breathe, so that two films later we all we going - she's back with Phoenix power, holy crap! Then have her turn dark in the next film.

X2
    Apocalypse part 1
    Apocalypse part 2
    Hellfire Club (return of Phoenix)
    Dark Phoenix

Instead we have the franchise jumping all over the place and two separate Dark Phoenix stories, both pretty much having the same amount of buildup - a single camera shot of Jean with Phoenix power.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 06-05-2019 at 11:09 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I'll chime in and agree with those saying Dark Phoenix needs a build up similar to Thanos had in the MCU.
    My impression is that most of the comments here suggest DP needs a much bigger buildup than Thanos had (a couple of cameos and a running McGuffin gag)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    My impression is that most of the comments here suggest DP needs a much bigger buildup than Thanos had (a couple of cameos and a running McGuffin gag)
    Not really. Jean is an X-Men she can easily be relevant in films even if you aren’t always pushing to Phoenix. You need a regular run of the mill X-Men film that establishes Jean and everyone else. Then at some point do a film where she sacrificed herself at the end and gains the powers. Then just do a few normal X-Men movies where Jean is Phoenix and we watch her powers flare up for 30 seconds once or twice. Then do a two part Dark Phoenix film.

It’s not that difficult. She’s already part of the team. Just dedicate the end of one film to her “dying” and use Phoenix as part of her power set.

It’s no different than if you did 2 or 3 Spider-man films with him in the black outfit before Venom shows up and once or twice a film he gets aggressive

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Not really. Jean is an X-Men she can easily be relevant in films even if you aren’t always pushing to Phoenix. You need a regular run of the mill X-Men film that establishes Jean and everyone else. Then at some point do a film where she sacrificed herself at the end and gains the powers. Then just do a few normal X-Men movies where Jean is Phoenix and we watch her powers flare up for 30 seconds once or twice. Then do a two part Dark Phoenix film.

It’s not that difficult. She’s already part of the team. Just dedicate the end of one film to her “dying” and use Phoenix as part of her power set.

It’s no different than if you did 2 or 3 Spider-man films with him in the black outfit before Venom shows up and once or twice a film he gets aggressive
    My opinion is that those proposed storylines represent much bigger buildups than Thanos got.

In part that depends on how you want to potray the Phoenix.

In Last Stand, it was just the name of some personality disorder Jean has. That's still something that needs to be built upon, but there's less ground work needed there than establishing that Phoenix is some sort of cosmic entity looking for a host.

Though yeah... in the least I would agree either way it's less work than they necessariy need with Thanos. Thanos is a straight up villain so you don't have to care as much (even though they did a pretty descent job with him).

Extraordinary Member

My opinion is that those proposed storylines represent much bigger buildups than Thanos got.
    I disagree. I think you can literally accomplish all of that as much as Thanos and the infinity stones were used prior to Infinity Gauntlet

Astonishing Member

I always wanted the sun destroying Phoenix and final fight with the Shi'ar. The watering down of the interstellar aspects of the story made me lose interest. Plenty of stories of women just flipping out. Carrie did it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    I always wanted the sun destroying Phoenix and final fight with the Shi'ar. The watering down of the interstellar aspects of the story made me lose interest. Plenty of stories of women just flipping out. Carrie did it better.
    They did imply that they changed the ending of Dark Phoenix because it was too similar to another super hero movie. I wonder if we sort of lost out on a more cosmic fight with the bad guys because of the Captain Marvel movie.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    They did imply that they changed the ending of Dark Phoenix because it was too similar to another super hero movie. I wonder if we sort of lost out on a more cosmic fight with the bad guys because of the Captain Marvel movie.
    Doubtful they would not throw away something that would cost tens of millions just to be different. I am sure the Shiar were never in the budget.