Page 80 of 105 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 1569

Thread: Dark Phoenix

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

I've heard the gamut of reactions, but, if we're looking for another industry opinion, John Campea said it's a middle-of-the-road X-Men flick. Some good, some so-so and some bad.

At this point, I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm not expecting the best of the best, but I'm not expecting the worst of the worst. At the very least, it's a chance for my wife and I to get out of the house for a few hours and nosh on some popcorn. That may not sound like much, but it does when you have three young kids.

Campea Link (It's the first thing he talks about):
    https://youtu.be/6mghmtFSrVA
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

So I went offline before the embargo lifted. Wanted to watch the movie blind and go in with zero expectations and I did. Had no idea what its reception was until after I saw it.

That said, I thought the movie was decent but nothing special. Good action, SFX, acting, and never drags. I thought it was an improvement over Apocalypse, better X3 and Origins. So I’m kinda shocked that it’s RT meter is below Origins. I did have a feeling that this was going to be another Godzilla 2 where it has good social media reaction but not good critical reception.

spoilers:
    Oh and I called D’Bari thing.
    end of spoilers

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Honestly, I enjoyed myself. There's some definitely sub-par acting alongside a few questionable narrative points, but it was one of the more coherently directed superhero films of 2019. Characters have believable motivations for their actions, and are even allowed to cut loose with fewer ratings restrictions to make for some interesting fight scenes. It lacks the series finality that some may have expected going in, but the X-Films have always been more about episodic adventures.

If you appreciated X-Men, X-2, FC, and DOFP I cannot think of a reason as to why you wouldn't be able to enjoy this movie. Maybe because the Marvel studios formula has seriously affected what viewers expect from superhero films, but that's about it.

I for one am just happy that it didn't end with an incomprehensibly large battle of hundreds of X-Men fighting a mass of bland aliens.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Honestly, I enjoyed myself. There's some definitely sub-par acting alongside a few questionable narrative points, but it was one of the more coherently directed superhero films of 2019. Characters have believable motivations for their actions, and are even allowed to cut loose with fewer ratings restrictions to make for some interesting fight scenes. It lacks the series finality that some may have expected going in, but the X-Films have always been more about episodic adventures.

If you appreciated X-Men, X-2, FC, and DOFP I cannot think of a reason as to why you wouldn't be able to enjoy this movie. Maybe because the Marvel studios formula has seriously affected what viewers expect from superhero films, but that's about it.

I for one am just happy that it didn't end with an incomprehensibly large battle of hundreds of X-Men fighting a mass of bland aliens.
    It settled for a few bland aliens.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    In a comprehensible fight scene.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    In a comprehensible fight scene.
    I had no problem following this or the bigger fight scenes from other films released this year but that's just me.

I liked that they actually used aliens from the original.

spoilers:

The Alien plot was dumb and made little sense with them wanting the thing that killed their people.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Its explained that they needed its power to recreate their world.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    I liked that they actually used aliens from the original.
    They used green broccoli people instead of gray (obviously once meant to be Skrulls) shape changing aliens? Because I thought I saw the latter.

They used green broccoli people instead of gray (obviously once meant to be Skrulls) shape changing aliens? Because I thought I saw the latter.
    Let’s be honest, the broccoli looked silly.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Let’s be honest, the broccoli looked silly.
    Even if they don't look exactly like they do in the comics, they probably could have done a better job coming up with a look that's at least a homage to the Broccoli people, if that's why they were. You shouldn't need Google to realize who they really were.

Well, I managed to watch Dark Phoenix and write up a review for it. Do I think it's as bad as X-Men: The Last Stand? No. I think it's actually worse. Because at least The Last Stand was actually fun to watch. This movie? Let's just say I find it very apropos that Dark Phoenix's ending literally involves a massive train wreck.

Dark Phoenix review: A big-budget burnout
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Well, I managed to watch Dark Phoenix and write up a review for it. Do I think it's as bad as X-Men: The Last Stand? No. I think it's actually worse. Because at least The Last Stand was actually fun to watch. This movie? Let's just say I find it very apropos that Dark Phoenix's ending literally involves a massive train wreck.

Dark Phoenix review: A big-budget burnout
    After all, if you’re going to close out your franchise before the inevitable Disney reboot, why not also ripoff Captain Marvel ?
    I can’t tell if this is a joke or not, but just in case you are serious this movie started filming before Captain Marvel.

MORE FROM MOVIES
    Margot Robbie Says The Male Gaze Will Be Absent In Birds Of Prey
    Dark Phoenix May Not Be Number One At The Box Office
    Warner Bros. Not At Hall H But Still Attending San Diego Comic-Con
    The First Poster For Wonder Woman 1984 Reveals A New Armor For Diana
    Dark Phoenix: Rotten Tomatoes Score Paints A Grim Picture
    Being derivative, however, is only one of Dark Phoenix’s many cinematic sins. In striving to create a more faithful adaptation of the “Dark Phoenix Saga,” Kinberg has churned out a superhero movie that’s just like every other superhero movie. No longer “protecting a world that hates and fears them,” the X-Men have essentially become second-rate Avengers. People cheer them at airports waving “Marry me” signs and action figures. Even the X-Men’s uniforms, inspired by Frank Quietly’s designs from New X-Men, look generic.
    The X-Men have always had non-mutant fans since the Stan Lee era and considering that...

spoilers:
    its shown that the X-Men have lost favor with the public after what Jean did that is not really a valid complaint.
    end of spoilers

Despite also being tied with X-Men: Days of Future Past as the most expensive X-Men movie ever made, you’ll keep asking yourself, “Where did all the movie’s budget go?” Magneto’s government-sanctioned island commune for mutants, for instance, looks like it’s filmed in somebody’s junk-infested backyard. The effects are your standard CGI extravaganza, most of which are saved for the climax. Even the cinematography and action choreography makes it seems like you’re watching something made-for-TV than made-for-the silver screen.
    The 200 million is so far, just a guess by journalists. There is a conflicting report on the budget.

Though I disagree with you on the cinematography, CGI, and action. Thought it was. They actually got the guy who did the cinematography for Avatar and the action unit director of Mad Max: Fury Road and it showed imo.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 06-07-2019 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Even if they don't look exactly like they do in the comics, they probably could have done a better job coming up with a look that's at least a homage to the Broccoli people, if that's why they were. You shouldn't need Google to realize who they really were.
    My cousin saw it last night and I asked him who the bad guys were and his exact words were "I dont know some shape shifter aliens.(Long pause) .....I think."

I am not sure on the source but some of the things make sense

https://mcucosmic.com/2019/06/06/the...ery-different/

Psylocke was originally in the movie and Olivia Munn was the one to reveal it as a two-parter when she told Collider, “It’s like a two parter, this movie. That’s more than I’ve said, in general. I don’t know why people have to be so secretive.” Apparently Psylocke would’ve filled the role that Selene did in the final movie, being the other telepath.
    The biggest difference between the movie in theaters now and the two-parter is that the Shi’ar originally did appear in the script and Chastain’s character was supposed to be Lilandra. The Lilandra name did survive in at least one cut of the movie that people saw in early 2018, before being removed.
    Keeping the name Lilandra secret makes sense