Page 83 of 105 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 1569

Thread: Dark Phoenix

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Movies that wander away from the source material usually stink.
    I would have thought that by now it was generally understood that comic book source material vs comic book movies is irrelevant.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    To be fair to Kinberg, there was scene that developed Scott and Jean that were cut from the final product of this film.
    That scene, by your posts, was a minute or less. C'mon.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    I always thought the story would be so watered down as to be uninteresting. Seeing Jean in the books in her Phoenix costume, both light and dark vs. the pale instantiation of her in the moves - how could it succeed. Her death in the books - after the Shi'ar fight - so much power as compared to fighting on a train.

Movies that wander away from the source material usually stink.
    I would say the opposite. The more you attempt source material purity the worse it is. Stay true to the heart of it, hit the big moments, but then remember you're making a movie and not a comic book.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    That scene, by your posts, was a minute or less. C'mon.
    I wasn’t referring to that cut.

Looks like Fox was being cheap, again.

Cool

There's also an article on the ringer that goes into more detail about the problems of the films.

https://www.theringer.com/movies/201...mcu-franchises

But it seems like all the x-men directors have explanations for why the movie wasn't good after it's already come out. Blaming the studio for their shortcomings. Singer did this, Vaughn did this(Saying his was too similar to Nolan), and now Kinberg. Singer made Superman Returns, Kinberg wrote Fantastic Four, Vaughn did Kingsman 2. This isn't like Scorsese and Spielberg were talking about.

I don't doubt that fox and Roth were difficult, but honestly I think some directors/writers are just better then others and these three just aren't that good. Outside of the x-men films how many great films have these guys done?

I think James Mangold was the best director of the group and he moved on to bigger and better things, while all others seem to still be struggling or in the same spot that they were years ago.

I hope that when Marvel does get around to making X-men they just forget about Phoenix storyline. IMO it isn't the best x-men story, and I'd rather see something new.

They spend 200 million on this film there comes a point where you quit spending good money on bad.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorStudent View Post
    There's also an article on the ringer that goes into more detail about the problems of the films.

But it seems like all the x-men directors have explanations for why the movie wasn't good after it's already come out. Blaming the studio for their shortcomings. Singer did this, Vaughn did this(Saying his was too similar to Nolan), and now Kinberg. Singer made Superman Returns, Kinberg wrote Fantastic Four, Vaughn did Kingsman 2. This isn't like Scorsese and Spielberg were talking about.

I don't doubt that fox and Roth were difficult, but honestly I think some directors/writers are just better then others and these three just aren't that good. Outside of the x-men films how many great films have these guys done?

I think James Mangold was the best director of the group and he moved on to bigger and better things, while all others seem to still be struggling or in the same spot that they were years ago.

I hope that when Marvel does get around to making X-men they just forget about Phoenix storyline. IMO it isn't the best x-men story, and I'd rather see something new.
    Studio interference isnt limited to Fox. But Singer I'm confused on how he gets work. On top of the personal stuff that if its true is unforgivable. I saw Rumors he went AWOL from Apocalypse and Kinberg had to step in and direct parts. Then did the same thing for the Queen Biopic Supposedly. Havent reseacrch sd this so could be. Mistaken on details though

Quote Originally Posted by PoorStudent View Post

Kinberg is not going public with this...yet. It’s just a screener who talked to him. Kinberg lied to the public and said that it’s because of the similarities to another superhero movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    They spend 200 million on this film there comes a point where you quit spending good money on bad.
    More like 194ish according to this guy. But the original third act did pay off the plot points established in the earlier film that the final cut didn’t.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 06-08-2019 at 08:14 PM.

After reading several professional reviews that savaged the film and nodding my head in agreement with many of their criticisms, I gotta say, I still found a lot to like about this movie. The audience I saw it with this morning cheered at the action sequences.

Considering all the permutations of X-Men films we’ve gotten over the years—and the resulting scattershot nature of the franchise—I guess I knew better than to think any director was going to be able to give us a Phoenix saga masterpiece in one movie. I lowered my expectations and was mildly impressed.

I really wish some writer had taken another crack at a lot of that heavy-handed, on-the-noise dialogue. Jennifer Lawrence, especially, just could not make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    After reading several professional reviews that savaged the film and nodding my head in agreement with many of their criticisms, I gotta say, I still found a lot to like about this movie. The audience I saw it with this morning cheered at the action sequences.

Considering all the permutations of X-Men films we’ve gotten over the years—and the resulting scattershot nature of the franchise—I guess I knew better than to think any director was going to be able to give us a Phoenix saga masterpiece in one movie. I lowered my expectations and was mildly impressed.

I really wish some writer had taken another crack at a lot of that heavy-handed, on-the-noise dialogue. Jennifer Lawrence, especially, just could not make it work.
    Yea my cousin who's not a comic fan said they're a cool scene where a pissed off Nightcrwker goes on a killing spree. Which he enjoyed to me as a Nightcrawler fan that sounds awful. I loved the X2 scene because it looked cool and Nightcralwer was out of character because he wasnt in control. But yea my cousin seemed to like the movie fine. Not enough to watch again or buy but he didnt hate it like some seem to. Ima go see it before the months over just not in a rush

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Yea my cousin who's not a comic fan said they're a cool scene where a pissed off Nightcrwker goes on a killing spree. Which he enjoyed to me as a Nightcrawler fan that sounds awful. I loved the X2 scene because it looked cool and Nightcralwer was out of character because he wasnt in control. But yea my cousin seemed to like the movie fine. Not enough to watch again or buy but he didnt hate it like some seem to. Ima go see it before the months over just not in a rush
    Yep, that scene with Nightcrawler was one of a few that drew applause. It took me by surprise. I thought maybe it was referencing something from the comics that Kurt’s fans were waiting for.
    Last edited by Largo161; 06-08-2019 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Yep, that scene with Nightcrawler was one of a few that drew applause. It took me by surprise. I thought maybe it was referenced something from the comics that Kurt’s fans were waiting for.
    Naw unless it AoA Nightcrwler he ain't killing people. Nightcrawlers the type of of by character who sees value in the worst of people. Not u made me mad now ima gonna stab u all. Ultimate Nightcrawler was homophobic I think but I didn't like ultimates so didnt read much. AoA I think was a killer but main Kurt Killing is as bad as Batman killing people. But hes already a self mutilater so why not go on a killing spree. Hes a side character(Side chatacter for alot of the Xmen us generous) so yes whatever doesnt bother me much, though in Apoclypse he seems more like Comic kurt so disappointed they went this route.

Naw unless it AoA Nightcrwler he ain't killing people. Nightcrawlers the type of of by character who sees value in the worst of people. Not u made me mad now ima gonna stab u all. Ultimate Nightcrawler was homophobic I think but I didn't like ultimates so didnt read much. AoA I think was a killer but main Kurt Killing is as bad as Batman killing people. But hes already a self mutilater so why not go on a killing spree. Hes a side character(Side chatacter for alot of the Xmen us generous) so yes whatever doesnt bother me much, though in Apoclypse he seems more like Comic kurt so disappointed they went this route.
    For what it’s worth, he's not killing Earthly humans.
    Last edited by Largo161; 06-08-2019 at 09:26 PM.

Astonishing Member

Well, Kurt snaps after one of the soldiers who was guarding them dies in his arms. So I guess some could argue that it was understandable as he was fueled by grief. I am not a big Nightcrawler fan by any means, but when he started killing the D'Bari, even I thought it was widely out of character (despite being cool to watch.) I mean, he gets hold of one their bladed weapons and teleports multiple time around one D'Bari while slicing and dicing, one he stabs through the neck with his tail, and another he gleefully teleports onto the tracks ahead of the military train to be steamrolled.

So yeah, if you are a diehard Kurt fan, that bit might leave you a bit miffed.