Page 84 of 105 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 1569

Thread: Dark Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Details on the two hour+ version of Dark Phoenix.
    -Scott had a speech about what Raven would have done that united both sides as they were captive.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Hey, guys. I found some interesting gossip about this movie originally being a two parter from someone at atrl.

Fox execs expected this huge invasion style attack on New York, with the X men battling along side.

What they got was just Jean and Scott saving civilians and UN leaders, Charles is also there, but his powers don’t work on aliens, so was a liability more than anything. The UN attack was scripted differently when this was going to be A TWO PART saga. (A WHOLE other messy story lol)

Also this old 3rd act was not well received by test audience, “long and bloated” “huge action set piece no substance”, was the kind of feedback they received. (XMen are imprisioned during this whole thing)

They initially wanted to redo the UN sequence with all the X Men present, but the sets had been long destroyed, and rebuilding them (it’s the biggest set of any X film) and acquiring the licenses and permits for the locations was too TIMELY and COSTLY.

They had to settle for the train sequence which was predominantly shot on a sound stage, with the exception of the leaked set pics, which were shot on a yard. This sequence as seen in the trailers, has all the Mutants fighting alongside each other, the REQUIREMENT Fox asked for.
    - Okay so there are some HUGE name OSCAR winning people behind the scenes creating this movie, look them up on IMDB. They ALL signed on to a FINISHED two part script, and were hired for their experience and talent, to bring together the huge undertaking of filming TWO movies.

- The two movies were to be filmed together. The plan was to film most of the huge action pieces first. So the UN set, the largest of any X film, as well as the New York night street battle set, were all being built. These to sets were the THIRD act sets for each movie, with the UN set serving as the HUGE invasion style finale for PART TWO! Part one‘s finale set, is still partially in THIS movie, albeit scaled down, and with key players missing. It also serves as the close of the second act, opposed to a final act battle.

- Fox, with about 2 months until principal photography, BLINDSIDED the entire team, CUT the budget and informed the creative team to scale it down to ONE movie. They were not told of any reason (no employee at Fox knew about the merger until it was announced, only higher ups). They scrambled. They had to rewrite an ENTIRE script, pulling together pieces and ideas from the old ones, while COMPLETELY cutting out characters, set pieces, sequences, and changing some characters motivations.

- The biggest omission from this is the Shi’ar!!!!! Yes the Shi’ar were to be introduced and fleshed out in the scrapped two part movies. Simon KNEW bringing them in this new script would be foolish, drawing away the spotlight from Jean. Having to do their origin story, as well as a certain character’s relationship with Charles, while also telling Jeans descent into darkness, in a two hour time frame, was UNREALISTIC. Things had to be cut guys.

- Jessica Chastain signed on to play LILANDRA! When the scripted changed, they had to delay her from shooting, while they figured out who she would play and how she would be involved. Eventually Jessica started TWO and a half months after all the other actors had started.

- Because they already had sets built for the original idea, they had to use them, also with the budget cut, they couldn’t just destroy them and build new ones. They incorporated them into this singular movie. While they had managed to rewrite the first two acts, by the time shooting had begun, THEY HAD BARELY a working script for the third act lol. Just ideas.

- The reason Jessica kept teasing her character was because even after the rewrites, they still intended her to be Lilandra. They filmed a whole scene of her introducing herself to the world as the Empress, although the Shi’ar are NOT named, instead she leads a mysterious grey humanoid alien race. They realised she resembled NOTHING of Lilandra, so shot an alternate version of her being nameless, which would have been the cut we saw, had they kept the old third act. Basically someone needed to have a chat with Jessica lmao!

- When Fox reviewed the footage, and seeing the test audience feedback, they realised their blunder, and allowed for additional photography to commence (reshoots).They realised in doing so, they would have to push back the film. Fox wanted the February date while Kinberg urged them for a later date, because the reshoots would end in September, and the film coming out in Feb wouldn’t allow enough time to edit, score and add effects. Keep in mind they are REPLACING a whole third act. Fox Announces the Valentine’s Day release anyway.

When everything was completed, FOX again realised the effects weren’t going to be complete lol, so agreed to move it to the current date, ON THE CONDITION a trailer was to be released in order to soften the delay. The trailer would have the new date, and would be the announcement. Somewhere in the shuffle, the company that cuts trailers, left the Feb date on and was released. The biggest LOL....

Because the delay in rewrites, they had to cut out, Storm, Beast, Magneto, who all had other commitments by the time filming the old third act had started. Easiest option was to have them “captured”. This new Sequence corrects that! Only Evan Peters (Quicksilver) was unavailable to do both (AHS) lol.

Astonishing Member

Hey, guys. I found some interesting gossip about this movie originally being a two parter from someone at atrl.
    The behind the scenes stuff coming out of this makes for interesting reading. Honestly, this film was entertaining enough. But I really hope that, down the track, we get a directors cut.

Yeah, I heard over 1 year ago that it was supposed to be 2-2hr plus movies:Phoenix, then Dark Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Well, Kurt snaps after one of the soldiers who was guarding them dies in his arms. So I guess some could argue that it was understandable as he was fueled by grief. I am not a big Nightcrawler fan by any means, but when he started killing the D'Bari, even I thought it was widely out of character (despite being cool to watch.) I mean, he gets hold of one their bladed weapons and teleports multiple time around one D'Bari while slicing and dicing, one he stabs through the neck with his tail, and another he gleefully teleports onto the tracks ahead of the military train to be steamrolled.

So yeah, if you are a diehard Kurt fan, that bit might leave you a bit miffed.
    Ahh yea Kurt is one of the chatacters I'm 100% confident will be better Disneyfied. Worried about Wolverine getting Neutered(Fox Neutred him.untill his very last movie anyway). But yea NightCralwer will benefit from a more a kid friendly aproach since its fit his character. Hes fun comic relief who can also deliver a powerful moral or faith based speech when needed. He not some emo guy who self mutilated and goes on killing sprees. But yea if Purifers are worth trying to save to Kurt I dont see why D'Bari wouldnt be. Sounds like from spoilers they are trying to capture the Phoenix to restore they're planet. They are more sympathetic on paper then Purifiers

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Ahh yea Kurt is one of the chatacters I'm 100% confident will be better Disneyfied. Worried about Wolverine getting Neutered(Fox Neutred him.untill his very last movie anyway). But yea NightCralwer will benefit from a more a kid friendly aproach since its fit his character. Hes fun comic relief who can also deliver a powerful moral or faith based speech when needed. He not some emo guy who self mutilated and goes on killing sprees. But yea if Purifers are worth trying to save to Kurt I dont see why D'Bari wouldnt be. Sounds like from spoilers they are trying to capture the Phoenix to restore they're planet. They are more sympathetic on paper then Purifiers
    I can see that, the MCU formula likes comedy relief and Beast, Iceman and Kurt are prime candidates for wisecracking/quipping in movies.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 06-09-2019 at 04:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I don't know who the Purifiers are, but in the film the D’Bari not at all sympathetic.

Wow, what a mess.

When you hear problems that had with this film, or DC had with Justice League, it really just makes you respect the machine that the MCU has become that much more impressive. Granted marvel has had it's share of problems, like losing the director for Ant-Man and the whole Gunn thing, but they still seem to be able to keep their stuff together.

BANNED

We play the "it was supposed to" game for bad movies. Nova was in an earlier cut of Infinity War. Thor's brother in one of his movies. We think those are cute and interesting for movies that are good.

For dumpster fires like this one the people who wanted the movie to be good run to those stories and point and say "See! If only they had stuck with THIS version"

That's BS. It was a bad movie. Stop searching for a scape goat.

Weekend estimates are in....they are bad.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

33 million. 14 million less than Secret World of Pets 2.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Weekend estimates are in....they are bad.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

33 million. 14 million less than Secret World of Pets 2.
    140 million worldwide but still yeah ouch. Dark Phoenix is at the bottom for XCU films for me but still you'd wish the franchise could had gone out on a higher note.

I decided to skip seeing it. The bad reviews and the woke-ass Mystique rant turned me off. I hope Disney doesen't **** the X-Men up with any progressive bullshit when they start making the films. I really want to see and enjoy them.

Astonishing Member

My point was that the Phoenix saga had power in the books from its cosmic nature, the genocidial actions of Jean, the fight with the Shi'ar and her sacrifice, suicide (of course that was undone). The current appearances of the Phoenix are just a nutty, pretty strong TK user who does some pretty standard nutty stuff and her friends are all a flutter. Moving away so much from source material was a killer for the saga.

It's the same wishy-washy approach that killed the FF, SS and Galactus confrontation in that movie. Instead of Galactus, you get a giant gas bag.
    Same with Green Lantern, another gas bag for Parallax.

Messing with source - usually kills a superhero movie when it becomes extreme. In the Justice League movie, their version of the Flash almost killed that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    I decided to skip seeing it. The bad reviews and the woke-ass Mystique rant turned me off. I hope Disney doesen't **** the X-Men up with any progressive bullshit when they start making the films. I really want to see and enjoy them.
    I hate forced politics of any kind in films but there is a certain irony to say you'd hate "progressive bullshit" in a comic property that is progressive in its very concept.

Dark Phoenix Pitch Meeting