Page 89 of 105 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 1569

Thread: Dark Phoenix

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Tbh I think not being a two parter was a blessing. I just don't think this would've been good under any capacity.
    Trust me, it would have helped. The main criticism of this movie is that it’s rushed and too short. There was an 2+ hours version of this that was screened in November that had decent reception. Viewers say this version was worse.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 06-11-2019 at 06:02 AM.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Uhoh, I better go see it soon.

For me, the original two X-Men movies are the gold standard where it comes to setting up Magneto and what really makes the X-Men tick. So much so that I wonder if the franchise would be a whole lot better had they not made the big misstep with X3 that made them scramble for ideas.

On the one hand, we did get some gems in all the scrambling (Logan, First Class, DoFP) but overall its an unconscionable mess.
    I think Fox has a really good track record overall. I'd say X1, X2, First Class, DoFP, Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix, The Wolverine, Logan, & Deadpool (haven't seen the second one yet) all range from good to great. That really just leaves X3 and X-Men Origins: Wolverine as disappointments for me personally, but hey, you can't win 'em all.

But even if we just went with the ones on your list, that's an impressive record all things considered. There really aren't a lot of franchise comparable to the X-Men in terms of volume (Bond, Batman and the MCU), and it's generally agreed they all have some mediocre outings. And gems is pretty high praise.

Anyway, I love Fox's X-Men (warts and all) as well as the MCU (and Batman and Bond, naturally). I think the idea that Fox's X-Men is a mess is one that's been repeated so often that people take it for granted, even if you when you break it down they like or even love over half the films.

We live in weird times where people spend more time talking about reviews, box office projections, and what they would have done differently than the films themselves. There was a time not so long ago when we were pretty much thrilled with one great superhero film every decade, and now people think of Fox's X-Men as a failure in spite of having give us so many strong outings.

At any rate, I loved Dark Phoenix and I suspect you will too. It's filled with great character moments and has a strong emotional core, as well as being a satisfying sendoff for most of the characters.

Astonishing Member

Fox should have stuck to their Feb.14 opening date but apparently James Cameron might have been the reason because he wanted Alita to avoid the Winter Holiday schedule https://ph.news.yahoo.com/x-men-dark...160131248.html.

As it is I don't think DP can beat Alita's overall gross or domestic for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Trust me, it would have helped. The main criticism of this movie is that it’s rushed and too short. There was an 2+ hours version of this that was screened in November that had decent reception. Viewers say this version was worse.
    Every screening ever leaked said this thing was bad.

I think it would have HELPED ... but I'm still not sure that it would have actually been that good. Not to be overly pessemistic, but I just have a compete lack of faith in some of the people involved in it at this point. I think FOX probably should have quit while they were ahead with Logan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Every screening ever leaked said this thing was bad.

That was the under 2 hour version that isn’t much different from the theatrical cut. I talked to someone who went to test screening in late January.

I don't think getting more of a movie that's not that great is going to make it much better.

It's like the old joke goes. "Waiter, this food is horrible, and such small portions."

That was the under 2 hour version that isn’t much different from the theatrical cut. I talked to someone who went to test screening in late January.

Okay in February they (Fox People) denied there was any new test screenings and the last ones were a year earlier before reshoots. Now there were screenings after the reshoots? Wish they'd get their stories straight.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 06-11-2019 at 07:43 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I don't think getting more of a movie that's not that great is going to make it much better.

It's like the old joke goes. "Waiter, this food is horrible, and such small portions."
    This is so Batman vs Superman excuses. A secret hidden version that's a million times better and Oscar worthy.

BANNED

I have yet to hear the big complaint being pacing. The reviews I've read, here and more broadly, are just that it is uninspiring. More content isn't going to fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    It's probably just as well. Since this "X-Women" bullshit started up I'm not looking forward to whatever Disney comes up with.
    I know the poster is banned, but I wanted to point out that "X-Women" has precedent -- Chris Claremont tried to pitch an X-Women movie back in the 80s (makes sense considering in the late 80s, women evened out or outnumbered the men on the team) and even met with James Cameron, and a 3rd X-game for the Sega Genesis was in development starring Rogue, Storm, and Jean as the only playable characters, but the studio shut down before they could finish the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I know the poster is banned, but I wanted to point out that "X-Women" has precedent -- Chris Claremont tried to pitch an X-Women movie back in the 80s (makes sense considering in the late 80s, women evened out or outnumbered the men on the team) and even met with James Cameron, and a 3rd X-game for the Sega Genesis was in development starring Rogue, Storm, and Jean as the only playable characters, but the studio shut down before they could finish the game.
    Yes, I heard that also. I would have loved that game!

Going to see Dark Phoenix today.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yes, I heard that also. I would have loved that game!

Going to see Dark Phoenix today.
    Yep! Here's some gameplay footage (potato quality since it's from 1996)

Many people think the Daredevil extended cut is a good movie unlike the version released in theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Okay in February they (Fox People) denied there was any new test screenings and the last ones were a year earlier before reshoots. Now there were screenings after the reshoots? Wish they'd get their stories straight.
    Because private screenings are different from test screenings.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 06-11-2019 at 09:34 AM.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

I was fine with the X-Women line: I just think there needed to be some kinda build or X-Men reference prior to it. As it is, she just kinda throws it out there at the end of their argument. It certainly didn't bother me like it did some people.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."