Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shi'ar Imperial Guard Appreciation Thread

Admins, please remove this thread if it already exists or place it in the appropriate location. I just figured that the Imperial Guard was very much part of the X-Universe.

Are there any fans of the Imperial Guard?

If so who are your favorite characters?

Who would you like to see written or developed in upcoming events?
    Attached Images Attached Images

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelboy1974 View Post
    Admins, please remove this thread if it already exists or place it in the appropriate location. I just figured that the Imperial Guard was very much part of the X-Universe.

When they are gonna get wrecked next?

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelboy1974 View Post

Great idea for a thread, Marvelboy 1974!

That is a terrific pic of the Guardsman. Is it new? It really seems to capture the majesty and power of the alien team! I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post

That is a terrific pic of the Guardsman. Is it new? It really seems to capture the majesty and power of the alien team! I love it!
    I don't think that's a Byrne, but it's heavily inspired by him. I don't think it's new(maybe fan art?), that's the old school classic Guard.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I’m not sure who the artist is but I got the image from hero wiki. The only thing I did was color Oracle’s hair light blue since it was white in the image.

I can almost make out a signature in that root in the bottom left corner, but the resolution is a bit fuzzy.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Ultimate Member

I'm a huge Legion fan, and a huge Dave Cockrum fan (even from before he worked at Marvel, when he was pitching characters named Nightcrawler and Wolverine to DC), so the Imperial Guard were a treat for me, back in the day.

It's interesting to me that the 'Shiar' Imperial Guard has so few Shiar in it. Of the originals, IIRC, only Electron was Shiar. It really is a neat way to highlight how much of an actual 'Empire' the Shiar have compared to the Kree or Skrulls, whose 'super-teams' tend to be mono-racial.

Of them, Oracle is one of my favorites. Her visual is amazing, and her combination of telepathy and other more 'general psychic' powers is cool, and differentiates her from the plethora of other telepaths (or telepath/telekinetics) running around the Marvel universe.

Of the newer recruits, again, mostly for the visual, I love Manta. (And also for being less of an obvious Legion riff. She's more reminiscent of the Teen Titan Raven, but more unique than derivative, IMO.)

It is hilarious how many of the Imperial Guard have had to change their names. Hobgoblin's now taken. Nightshade. Tempest. Magick. All have had to change their names as other characters, sometimes from other companies, have come into prominence.

I liked the fat one that bounced around like speedball. I think he was in the Thanos series.

Other than that, nightshade and manta were my favourites.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

I think a genderbend Hobgoblin meant be Jessica Chastain’s character in Dark Phoenix given her character description and the rumors of her being gray Skrull-like character.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    I think a genderbend Hobgoblin meant be Jessica Chastain’s character in Dark Phoenix given her character description and the rumors of her being gray Skrull-like character.
    Given that the Legion that inspired them were created in the seventies, and are a bit old-fashioned, I always wanted the Imperial Guard, if they ever got fleshed out, to diverge wildly from the Legion.

Hobgoblin being a genderless blob of protoplasm adopting a humanoid gendered form could be one tweak. Mentor could be one of dozens, or perhaps even hundreds, of mobile interfaces for a planet-sized supercomputer somewhere in Shiar space (and there being a 'Mentor' on every squad, since it can be in many places at once, and serves as communications for the far-flung squads, since all of them are in real-time communication with their planetary central processor). Gladiator could be the repository of the channeled psychic power of thousands of his planet's people, sitting in chairs and donating their (individually almost insignificant) psychic power to him, granting him what appears to be incredible power.

It would be a fun way of differentiating them from the Legionnaires they resemble and also go wild and crazy into sci-fi territories that the Legion never could.

I love all of these characters.

The fiery guy---Starbolt?--he reminds me of Firelord but I don't know anything about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I love all of these characters.

The fiery guy---Starbolt?--he reminds me of Firelord but I don't know anything about him.
    He is one of the long serving Imperial Guards. He is not Firelord, but he is a 'hothead'. He had some nice focus in the War of Kings; Skaar, where he and Inhuman Gorgon ended up on a lonely planet.

A very loyal member.

Bolt.jpg
    Last edited by Jesse-James; 10-15-2018 at 12:43 AM.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I really liked PLUTONIA and MENTOR as they are one of the very few who's characters were a bit developed besides Gladiator, Starbolt and Oracle.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

BANNED

Oracle, Nightside, Mantis, and Magique are my favorites. Primarily because I love the Legion of Superheroes heroines they are based on.

ASTRA
    First appeared in Uncanny X-Men #107
    Powers: Density Control and phasing.
    Astra has been a member of the Imperial Guard since the very start. Fun fact: In one of the earlier fights she was able to knock-out a phased out Shadowcat.

AstraI.jpg