Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Does Doom have autoshields that can detect a faster than light incoming threat? If not any of the pre-COIE kryptonian level types (or similar after) can hit him with a near infinite kinetic impact. Does his armor alone resist that level of impact? It's a little bit more than the average brick punch.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Autoshields are autoshields. They're always up. They don't need to detect the threat if they're consistently 'on'.

That said, Pre-Crisis Kryptonians could simply punch through them. Doom's stuff isn't so good that it'll hold against someone who can tow long strings of planets, or the like. And that's without getting into the fact that they can lay down a ton of those punches nigh-instantly, due to their speed.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 10-15-2018 at 10:12 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Does Doom have autoshields that can detect a faster than light incoming threat? If not any of the pre-COIE kryptonian level types (or similar after) can hit him with a near infinite kinetic impact. Does his armor alone resist that level of impact? It's a little bit more than the average brick punch.
    Honestly, it doesn't take anyone near a pre-crisis Kryptonian: a post-crisis Kryptonian could wreck an unprepped Doom. Like I said, any version of Thor can, and Kryptonians from any era except Golden are definitely faster than that guy/girl.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    No. It is not that impressive. He was her actual love slave to the point of him proclaiming his love for her and so forth. She enslaved him despite otherwise keeping the planet under her control at the same time and she herself noted verbatim she could only devote a small portion of her power to doing so. And his "throwing her off" consisted of transforming to Don Blake because that was still in the time where Blake was a separate personality, because he knew as Thor he couldn't act against her and Moondragon hadn't bothered to control that part of him.

Moondragon, with most of her power focused on keeping a world under control, made Thor her love slave for an extended period. Thor had to straight up more or less transform into another person to get out of it. This is not some impressive showing for Thor.
    OK, it's then still more impressive than any one of the billions of other beings on the world managed. How is that?
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    OK, it's then still more impressive than any one of the billions of other beings on the world managed. How is that?
    "Thor has stronger mental resilience than some average random alien when dealing with some small portion of Moondragon's telepathy" is not worth noting.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 10-15-2018 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Dr Doom is what Batman fan's imagine the character of Batman to be in fights meaning Dr Doom is fairly straightforward to beat but words "With Prep" the scope of people he can beat becomes ridiculous.
    Well Batman is that good with prep it's just Doom is way better at everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    No-prep, Classic Strange destroys Doom.
    I'm not doubting that Classic Strange beats Doom, but 'destroys'? Classic Strange can steamroll about 99% of characters but I don't think Doom is one of them.

Wasn't Doom pretty close to becoming Sorcerer Supreme himself? His mastery over magic is no joke either.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophicles View Post
    Wasn't Doom pretty close to becoming Sorcerer Supreme himself? His mastery over magic is no joke either.
    He’s a decent sorcerer. But I wouldn’t even necessarily say he was in the Top 10 Marvel sorcerers. And Strange (well, Classic Strange) is A LOT better. He ‘nearly’ got the Sorcerer Supreme title due to sloppy writing, basically.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Honestly, it doesn't take anyone near a pre-crisis Kryptonian: a post-crisis Kryptonian could wreck an unprepped Doom. Like I said, any version of Thor can, and Kryptonians from any era except Golden are definitely faster than that guy/girl.
    Thor has wrecked Doom before.

I don't believe one has to be cosmic level to take out Doom in an arena fight.

Ultimate Member

Thor's resistance to telepathy is all over the place.

In AvX he was put to sleep by Professor X with the Avengers but in a straight up fight with Phoenix Emma, he kicked her out of his head.

She needed physical force to take him down.
    Last edited by Username taken; 10-16-2018 at 01:06 AM.

Ultimate Member

Nvm.......

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by k von doom View Post
    I'm not doubting that Classic Strange beats Doom, but 'destroys'? Classic Strange can steamroll about 99% of characters but I don't think Doom is one of them.
    Classic Strange, no prep, messes around with black holes, shields himself from supernovas (in his weaker, astral form), and blows up planets while in astral form by finding their weak points and 'pressure pointing' them. He goes against Dormammu and doesn't instantly get murdered. He takes on the Silver Surfer. His Bolts of Bedevilment actually knock Drax and Thanos on their rears (not saying they hurt those two, but he's capable of separating them mid-fight with all of a gang-sign and some energy beams).

Doom, no prep, doesn't do any of that as far as I know.

Classic Strange, no prep, versus Doom, no prep (which is the condition of this thread) is basically a 10/10 win for Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophicles View Post
    He wasn't. That gets exaggerated and noted without context so much that people have gotten this idea that Doom came in second place or something (I'm not saying you're doing that, I'm saying I've seen people put it forward enough without context that it has become something of a meme).

So here's the situation.

Strange gets summoned to a test involving all kinds of sorcerers for the position of Sorcerer Supreme (which he has been doing for a while, because the Ancient One slapped that title on him, but Stephen hasn't been vetted by the Vishanti, hence the test).

It's important to note that outside of Strange and Doom, there are NO name-level sorcerers in this crowd (no Mordo, for example). They're a bunch of nobodies (I guess maybe one of them is Rama Caliph, but he's never mentioned by name, and compared to Strange, RC is a nobody anyway).

So the test has two parts. Nobody but Strange and Doom make it through the first part.

Doom then decides that the best way to win is to take Strange out of the running, and directly attacks him with the Crimson Bands (surprise attack no less). Strange casually turns the Crimson Bands back on him and imprisons him. He then goes on to finish the second part of the test.

The Vishanti then reveal that the winner must grant a boon to all of the sorcerers who made it through the first half. Not 'second place'; EVERYONE who managed to make it through the first test, all lumped together. It just happens that this time, Doom was the only one who made it that far.

That's it, that's all.

Now, granted, Doom gets a lot better. Strange teaches him. Doom learns more. He arrives at the point where he can use magic really well to take on his opposition, and it's another serious weapon in his vast quiver of dangerous abilities.

But Doom simply doesn't have the magical feats to put him on-par with Strange, or even in the same ballpark. No shame, there; Classic Strange's thing wasn't 'Superhero versus Supervillain, with occasional foray into some big, world-spanning danger', it was 'invasion from another dimension, I suppose it's Tuesday and I'm glad it's someone a little less powerful than Dormammu this time'.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Thor's resistance to telepathy is all over the place.

In AvX he was put to sleep by Professor X with the Avengers but in a straight up fight with Phoenix Emma, he kicked her out of his head.

She needed physical force to take him down.
    That's not really all over the place, that's "Chaz did something to Thor in line with things that have been mentally done to Thor in the past" and "Thor jobbed someone amped with the phoenix force"

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    That's not really all over the place, that's "Chaz did something to Thor in line with things that have been mentally done to Thor in the past" and "Thor jobbed someone amped with the phoenix force"
    Thor has also resisted Phoenix Rachel, so maybe it's less a telepathy resistance thing and more of a god vs cosmic being thing.
    "Money and muscle, that’s what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won’t do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won’t enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it."
    Robert E. Howard