Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default What non-cosmic can beat Dr. Doom?

The comic book version.

It seems to me that Dr. Doom is one of the two most OP supervillains in the MU (the other being Thanos) who are not naturally cosmic beings.

So, what non-cosmic hero can actually beat Victor von Doom in a standard Rumbles settings match?

Which non-cosmic hero, from any publisher, can withstand/negate his crimson bands, ovoid mind transfer, and other abilities he always has access to within his suit?

Is superspeed blitz the only salvation his potential opponents have?

How do you beat Doom in a so-called fair fight?

Do you count Sentry as cosmic? Because screwing with that guys brain is risky business and he's already busted through Dooms crimson bands on one occasion.

Anyways, you can go a lot lower than Sentry to find a match for Doom.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

He's borderline, but not quite. Same as Gladiator, Silver Surfer, and PC Supes.

Well, how does one resist the ovoid mind transfer?

Superspeed? Forcefield? Force of will?

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    He's borderline, but not quite. Same as Gladiator, Silver Surfer, and PC Supes.

Well, how does one resist the ovoid mind transfer?

Superspeed? Forcefield? Force of will?
    Either being where it's not, so super speed, or having some kind of potent willpower or mental resistance should do it. Perhaps a passive magic spell protection as well. Maybe a TP blocking piece of gear like Magnetos helmet?

I'm confident Dr. Strange in his prime could wreck Doom.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Reed does it all the time by exploiting Dooms characterbweak esses Of pride and such.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

So Doom is pretty bad ass but he's not quite in the "tank extended abuse from a class 100" camp without utilizing some tech or magic to at least bolster his shields. So you don't necessarily need full blown super speed if you can strike first and lay into him with sufficient damage to keep him from getting fancy. Super speed definitely helps with that though.

Dr Doom is what Batman fan's imagine the character of Batman to be in fights meaning Dr Doom is fairly straightforward to beat but words "With Prep" the scope of people he can beat becomes ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Dr Doom is what Batman fan's imagine the character of Batman to be in fights meaning Dr Doom is fairly straightforward to beat but words "With Prep" the scope of people he can beat becomes ridiculous.
    Yep. Doom with prep, do not go there. Guy has a time machine, that said method does not make multiple time lines.

I'd say Squirrel Girl, but pretty sure she's secretly the One Above All.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

I believe Doom himself once said that Sue could beat him single-handedly.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I believe Doom himself once said that Sue could beat him single-handedly.
    Which strikes me as rather odd. Yeah, she's hella dangerous if you don't have a counter to "force field suddenly exploding my brain." The thing is, Doom really should be able to build such a counter and should have it as a standard part of his armor by now.

Astonishing Member

Reed Richards has been doing it since the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Reed Richards has been doing it since the 70s.
    OP specifically mentioned in a standard Rumbles Arena setting.

Reed is not beating Doom in the Arena.
    - big_adventure

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

I mean, a fair ballpark: classic or Jane Thor, in the Arena, wrecks him. Doom can't no-sell Thor's stuff or come all that close, and any Thor has enough of a speed edge to drop the guy before he can get going. The Ovoid, while lovely, doesn't seem to work on beings that different from Doom. It's fine on humans or things close, but I'm pretty leery on it working on something vastly non-human - and Marvel gods have some special energy or something that Doom can't duplicate or overcome. I mean, I don't recall Doom using the Ovoid on anything other than a human or at least a full on "mortal." I'll accept corrections if I'm wrong.

Doom with prep is a whole different story, of course.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    I mean, a fair ballpark: classic or Jane Thor, in the Arena, wrecks him. Doom can't no-sell Thor's stuff or come all that close, and any Thor has enough of a speed edge to drop the guy before he can get going. The Ovoid, while lovely, doesn't seem to work on beings that different from Doom. It's fine on humans or things close, but I'm pretty leery on it working on something vastly non-human - and Marvel gods have some special energy or something that Doom can't duplicate or overcome. I mean, I don't recall Doom using the Ovoid on anything other than a human or at least a full on "mortal." I'll accept corrections if I'm wrong.

Doom with prep is a whole different story, of course.
    The ovoids are an alien race he learned the mind transfer from. I could buy it not working on something that lacks eyes or has explicit mental resistance that bounces powerful psychics all the time, but I wouldn't put that to any Asguardian or other marvel 'gods' that aren't gods. Odin/Zeus maybe, but not Thor who's been mind-whammied as many times as he's resisted them as far as I remember.