Thread: To Break A Slab

All-New Member

Default To Break A Slab

I have a Crow #1 (1989 Caliber) 1st printing that I plan on selling. It is currently slabbed as a CGC 9.4. However, I had the artist, James O'Barr, sign it for me on the front cover at a comic book convention in 2005. Unfortunately, it was not a CGC "witnessed" signature. So I received the dreaded green "Qualified" label from CGC. My question, from strictly a financial standpoint, do you think I would be better off selling it as is, or to break the slab and pay the roughly $50 and get it slabbed by CBCS and get a VSP (Verified Signature Program)? Major unknown, of course, is it could come back at a higher or lower grade. I'd probably also have it cleaned and pressed after breaking the slab before sending it to CBCS. I'm guessing that will be an additional $20 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by tastychowder View Post
    I have a Crow #1 (1989 Caliber) 1st printing that I plan on selling. It is currently slabbed as a CGC 9.4. However, I had the artist, James O'Barr, sign it for me on the front cover at a comic book convention in 2005. Unfortunately, it was not a CGC "witnessed" signature. So I received the dreaded green "Qualified" label from CGC. My question, from strictly a financial standpoint, do you think I would be better off selling it as is, or to break essay typer slab and pay the roughly $50 and get it slabbed by CBCS and get a VSP (Verified Signature Program)? Major unknown, of course, is it could come back at a higher or lower grade. I'd probably also have it cleaned and pressed after breaking the slab before sending it to CBCS. I'm guessing that will be an additional $20 or so.
    Hi tastychowder,

I'm well familiar with the grading system (just asked for opinion on CBCScomics Grading Help Needed), and in your case, it seems to me to be held to a higher standard. And in some years, I'm sure it can be a hot book.
    I always treat my collections though (including Marvel Milestone Edition: Fantastic Four #1 (SS Stan Lee) as well) as a memory, and as a unique possession.

However, I have never submitted my books for grading (was ready to do so a couple of times, but then changed my mind).

Cheers,
    Lumus