Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Default What would traditional teams look like in a DC-Marvel fused history?

Imagine the DC and Marvel Universes were rewritten as having occurred on the same Earth with a linear history. There are lots of interesting story potentials I'm working out, but I wanted to ask this particular question. Putting aside questions about the JSA, what would the traditional mainstay teams-the JLA, the Avengers, the X-Men, the Teen Titans, the Suicide Squad-look like?

If contrasted with the Avengers and then emphasized in their differences, the JLA is a pantheon of mythological or extraterrestial beings, and/or symbols of hope and ethical aspirations. They operate largely outside of societal structures. The Avengers, meanwhile, are very much a government-tied organization with a quasi-military focus (SHIELD) and figure less into influencing society's moral fabric.

An easy decision would be to put Captain America on the JLA; but who fits better on the Avengers? Black Lightning? Vixen? Aquaman? Black Canary?

If we make a similar parallel with the X-Men and Teen-Titans, one was founded by sidekicks of recognized mainstream superheroes, while the other grew out of a refuge for persecuted mutants. Yet the NTT had their own element of being outcasts in their own ways, while certain X-Men characters would potentially thrive as more mainstream superheroes. Would Beast Boy or Terra fit in with the X-Men better while Jean Grey, Kitty Pride, even Cyclops fit into the Teen Titans?

Which Marvel characters, too dirty for SHIELD, would find a home on Waller's team?

Discuss!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

What is DC equivalent for SHIELD? The Blackhawks? ARGUS?

Since Avengers have government ties, are they like New 52 Justice League International?

Dick will be besties with Nightcrawler for having a similar personality, being acrobatic and having gruff and scary older best friend slash partner with a trail of kids behind them, but if he's in leader mode he'll have more similarity with Cyclops.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-14-2018 at 05:43 AM.

I sorta feel if the X-Men/Mutants lived in the same universe as DC Universe they probably wouldn't exist at all. Cyclops would be a guy working at a desk job, Storm would still be in Africa, and Wolverine would be either running around naked in the woods somewhere in Canada or working on some military like team that is ok with him stabbing people every now and again.

With the people in the DC Universe being relatively ok with super people "mutants" may not even be a term. I feel that the DC people along with the people on Marvel who are fine with mutants would have evolved passed that king of bigotry. Another reason why I say that is because in JLA vs. Avengers it was mention that the Marvel earth was smaller in comparison to the DC Universe. Therefore, DC people should out number Marvel people. So the ideals of the more open minded would have at the very least suppressed the minds of feeble from taking such a strong hold over the treatment of a people.

Anyway, some of the X-Men may join up with super hero teams (mostly the ones who may not have any other choice but to. Examples: Rogue, Beast, Nightcrawler, ect.) but I think for the most part the core team as we know it would never have existed.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 10-14-2018 at 06:09 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Boisterously Confused

There really is no analogue for the X-Men in DC. As DragonsChi says, DC almost never took the view that inborn superpowers might generate anything but awe, and certainly not racism. The closest DC has are The Doom Patrol, and their abilities are mainly accidental rather than inherent.

So, if the X-Men existed at all in DC, there would probably be no change. The Doom Patrol might actually fit with The Defenders better than anywhere else.

As to The Avengers/JL cross-rostering, I could see Guy Gardner or Arsenal as agents of the kind of Avengers you propose, but not Aquaman. Both Captain Marvels (Monica and Carol), along with Quasar, would work for The JL.

Moon Knight, The Shroud, and Luke Cage would all probably fit nicely with The Outsiders.

Neither the Champions nor the Young Avengers would exist, and probably not the New Warriors either. The Titans are longer established than any of them so their members would just be on Titans teams.

Aquaman outright wouldn't exist, as he and Namor have the exact same role, King of Atlantis. Namor was created first so he wins out.

The Initiative/Dark Reign era Thunderbolts would be a Suicide Squad team, and thus include some of the SS members (from the SS vol 3 team which dates from that period).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Neither the Champions nor the Young Avengers would exist, and probably not the New Warriors either. The Titans are longer established than any of them so their members would just be on Titans teams.

Aquaman outright wouldn't exist, as he and Namor have the exact same role, King of Atlantis. Namor was created first so he wins out.

The Initiative/Dark Reign era Thunderbolts would be a Suicide Squad team, and thus include some of the SS members (from the SS vol 3 team which dates from that period).
    The bold would be interesting an awesome at the same time. I could see with the influence of Superman coming about that Namor would /could be influenced to take a different approach with the surface world and thereby be a longstanding member of the JLA instead of being an off and on member of whatever team he feels would help Atlantis the most at the time. I also think Namor due to all of this would probably more of a mainstream hero in that combination world, making him more "friendly" in general. I think he would still hold his aloofness but it may be tone down a bit more.

I could even see Namor and Wonder Woman becoming an item....wow after thinking all of that I might feel Namor has been created in the wrong universe all along.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I could even see Namor and Wonder Woman becoming an item....wow after thinking all of that I might feel Namor has been created in the wrong universe all along.
    FWIW, I do not see that at all.... maybe if you only think of Diana as the Nu52 eye-stabber...

I think if Namor were in the DCU, I can more see him as Aquaman's archenemy.

Damn, now I wish so much I could have read a New Gods/Silver Surfer story by Kirby...

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    FWIW, I do not see that at all.... maybe if you only think of Diana as the Nu52 eye-stabber...

I think if Namor were in the DCU, I can more see him as Aquaman's archenemy.

Damn, now I wish so much I could have read a New Gods/Silver Surfer story by Kirby...
    I think it's possible. Remember Namor came first and he is much older than Aquaman (in universe) so he would more then likely be on the throne if Aquaman existed at all. If Aquaman would be in universe he would still be at the light house while Namor was ruling. Despite Namor's unpopularity in todays current world he is actually a very good ruler of Atlantis so Aquaman wouldn't feel the need to take or challenge his rule if they existed together. They would probably be friends or even teammates for Atlantis. Heck Aquaman may leave Atlantis to Namor altogether while he served mostly as an Ambassador and member of the Justice League instead. *shrug*

Away, why I say I could see Namor and Wonder Woman together in a combine DC/Marvel is due to the fact that they are both long lived, share similar core beliefs, raised in similar fashions overall and they more then likely would have met up in World War II. (If that part of their history is kept intact in this world)
    I could see them sharing the similarities, respecting their differences, and eventually getting together in a powerful way.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 10-14-2018 at 02:30 PM.

There would be other occurrences and characters that would dramatically different had DC and Marvel been one company.

Do the X-men not occur, or does the Doom Patrol not happen, or are they both very different?
    Carol Danvers doesn't exist as there is no Marvel to grab the name and the DC-vel universe has the original Captain Marvel all to themselves. Miracleman is still known as Marvelman, but is still decades late.
    The FF and Spidey both exist. Yay!
    Does Jean Loring become the Wasp?
    Frank Rock, director of S.H.I.E.L.D.?

More personally, would Darkseid and the New Gods even exist if the one big superhero company meant no place for jack kirby to go to to get his chance to create his own way.

There are quite a few things we can speculate on and this is a far more interesting idea than I first thought.

Would Captain America be an Earth 2 character?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    There would be other occurrences and characters that would dramatically different had DC and Marvel been one company.

Do the X-men not occur, or does the Doom Patrol not happen, or are they both very different?
    Carol Danvers doesn't exist as there is no Marvel to grab the name and the DC-vel universe has the original Captain Marvel all to themselves. Miracleman is still known as Marvelman, but is still decades late.
    The FF and Spidey both exist. Yay!
    Does Jean Loring become the Wasp?
    Frank Rock, director of S.H.I.E.L.D.?

More personally, would Darkseid and the New Gods even exist if the one big superhero company meant no place for jack kirby to go to to get his chance to create his own way.

There are quite a few things we can speculate on and this is a far more interesting idea than I first thought.
    Why wouldn't the Fantastic Four or Spider-Man not exist? Just out of curiosity. I could see their origins remaining the same in a combing universe but I could be wrong. I know the Challengers Unknown (I think that's what they are called) would have made the star cruise first but I don't see why Reed wouldn't try if he was still in universe.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Why wouldn't the Fantastic Four or Spider-Man not exist? Just out of curiosity. I could see their origins remaining the same in a combing universe but I could be wrong. I know the Challengers Unknown (I think that's what they are called) would have made the star cruise first but I don't see why Reed wouldn't try if he was still in universe.
    I said they would exist. The FF were basically Rip Hunter's crew, or Cave Carson's crew, or the Sea Devils who flew into space. Each of those three books were about a scientist, his GF, his brawny buddy, and a pesky kid whoo in two of the three books was the GF's little brother. No reason they wouldn't have tried a fourth set of characters.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

If they're both Atlanteans and heir to the throne, then they'll be family. Arthur just won't be king.

By the way, I want to see Green Lantern Corps fighting Galactus

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Every hero either has a drinking problem or can't stay in a relationship.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Every hero either has a drinking problem or can't stay in a relationship.
    Yeah, that can stay with the Marvel characters, thank you. Besides, barring seemingly Supes & Lois and Diana & Steve and CanaryArrow, DC characters have enough relationship issues.