Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    A movie about how the US put a man on the moon is inherently patriotic. I don't think people know what words mean.
    I don't think people know why people were sent to the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I liked Drive.Only God forgives and the Blade Runner sequel.
    Same here. Underrated movie. Blade Runner 2049 was awesome, and Ryan did great there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    I don't think people know why people were sent to the moon.
    Nationalism, morale and to deal with the Soviet boogeymen even though I'm pretty sure the closer they got to the landing the more they realised 'Ruskies on the moon with a base full of nukes' is an inherently stupid and ruinously difficult/expensive task.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Nationalism, morale and to deal with the Soviet boogeymen even though I'm pretty sure the closer they got to the landing the more they realised 'Ruskies on the moon with a base full of nukes' is an inherently stupid and ruinously difficult/expensive task.
    The Soviet Union is the reason getting to the moon became a race, but it's not the reason the trip was made.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    Same here. Underrated movie. Blade Runner 2049 was awesome, and Ryan did great there.
    Yeah he's definitely more famous than his movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    The flag-planting should have been in there, for exactly the reasons the former astronauts said. Its practically the entire reason we went to the moon in the first place, it was us "winning" the space race. So yah, big deal, historic context.

But this movie really needed good word of mouth, bottom line, to really become a hit. It could be fantastic for all I know, but there is simply no reason for me to care about it.

Maybe if they'd had the astronauts plant a Rainbow Flag instead, that would have created the necessary buzz.
    Was the flag not been there in the film connected to NFL players choosing to kneel? a bit random if you ask me.

Ultimate Member

I actually heard the movie was quite dull.

Honestly, the previews looked quite boring.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    So, basically it was MTV.

Not a hit, but people should watch Half Nelson. Turns the white savior concept on its head.
    LOL..exactly.

We used to see what? Everyday on MTV?

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    Was the flag not been there in the film connected to NFL players choosing to kneel? a bit random if you ask me.
    Hard to say exactly. The official answer, according to Ryan Gosling, is that they wanted to make the movie about human achievement rather than American achievement.

That's an odd thing to say, though. Armstrong's own words from the moon were "Thank you Mr. President. It’s a great honor and privilege for us to be here representing not only the United States but men of peace of all nations, men with interests and a curiosity and men with a vision for the future." Seems like the movie had some unspoken ulterior motive here.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Hard to say exactly. The official answer, according to Ryan Gosling, is that they wanted to make the movie about human achievement rather than American achievement.

That's an odd thing to say, though. Armstrong's own words from the moon were "Thank you Mr. President. It’s a great honor and privilege for us to be here representing not only the United States but men of peace of all nations, men with interests and a curiosity and men with a vision for the future." Seems like the movie had some unspoken ulterior motive here.
    The message we left on the Moon was;

"We came in peace, for ALL MANKIND."

We didn't go there for America.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Watched it last night and tbh, it’s a bang average at best film and not one I’ll watch again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The message we left on the Moon was;

"We came in peace, for ALL MANKIND."

We didn't go there for America.
    Yes I agree and thats exactly what Armstrong said in his short speech that I quoted.

But I still think its important to show that America did that and said that. It wasn't just anyone. Americans, at this time more than most, needs to be reminded that we were once the good guys and that being a good guy is holding sentiments exactly like that one.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    It’s because they want to sell to an international audience, they didn’t want the movie too look to pro American.
    Last edited by Raiders; 10-16-2018 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Have there really been that many movies about the early space program?
    You know, I don't think there have been many. You have 'The Right Stuff', 'Apollo 13', and now 'First Man'. On the small screen, there was the Tom Hanks-produced HBO miniseries 'From the Earth to the Moon' and a TV movie called 'Moonshot' that starred James Marsters as Buzz Aldrin. Other than that, it's kinda weird that the only other NASA-heavy movies I can think of is 'Armageddon' and 'Space Cowboys'.

Mighty Member

so.... I'm guessing "Night of the Blood Beast" doesn't count, right> ;-)