Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I saw this movie. It isn't about the Moon Landing, because that only happens at the end. It is a biography of Neil Armstrong, the First Man. Like others here, I think the movie is entirely overrated. Other recent space films were better.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    I saw this movie. It isn't about the Moon Landing, because that only happens at the end. It is a biography of Neil Armstrong, the First Man. Like others here, I think the movie is entirely overrated. Other recent space films were better.
    Most, if not all Oscar Bait Movies are overrated.
    This movie missed the chance to be really good. Unfortunately, it’s main goal is to win awards, not to entertain.
    Last edited by Raiders; 10-17-2018 at 12:50 PM.

Fantastic Member Red Robe Jaldari's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raiders View Post
    Most, if not all Oscar Bait Movies are overrated.
    This movie missed the chance to be really good. Unfortunately, it’s main goal is to win awards, not to entertain.
    If Oscar ragtings keep goind down the Oscars will be irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Robe Jaldari View Post
    If Oscar ragtings keep goind down the Oscars will be irrelevant.
    The weird thing is the Oscars weren't always this pretentious contest it is now I remember being mad when Titanic beat LA Confidential both were great films but I thought LA Confidential had the more complex story and characters but Titanic was more popular such the opposite from now. Look at the list of best picture winners from the 20th Century most were both critical and audience pleasers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academ...r_Best_Picture

The Oscars have always been more hype than accurate portrayal of a movie quality. It is a small set of Industry people, (around 7,000) not all of whom vote or even see all the movies. And we never know if a movie wind by 2 votes or 200 or 2000.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Have there really been that many movies about the early space program?

I haven't seen it, but it seems like FIRST MAN is comparable to THE RIGHT STUFF (1983)--which was critically acclaimed when it came out, but that was a long time ago.

I think Ryan Gosling needs to take some inspiration from Ryan Reynolds. Reynolds has had a few missteps in his career but he does a good job of getting back on top by doing another crowd pleasing movie, which allows him to do the more risky stuff. Gosling has convinced critics that he's a serious actor, now he needs to do more of those movies that play to popular tastes, so he can win back audiences.

If Marvel ever wants to get me back into the theatre to see one of their movies (instead of watching them at home), then make ALPHA FLIGHT. And cast Gosling as James McDonald Hudson (Weapon Alpha/Vindicator/Guardian). If Gosling would do a super-hero movie, I think it would go a long way to improving his box office.
    With all due respect. Gosling is a much better actor than Reynolds. The guy was amazing in La La Land, Drive, Ides of March, and Half Nelson. His name itself is generally Box Office.

He doesn't need to do Superhero movies at all.

Plus he's hot and that helps a lot.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The weird thing is the Oscars weren't always this pretentious contest it is now I remember being mad when Titanic beat LA Confidential both were great films but I thought LA Confidential had the more complex story and characters but Titanic was more popular such the opposite from now. Look at the list of best picture winners from the 20th Century most were both critical and audience pleasers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academ...r_Best_Picture
    Titanic was the modern era’s closest equivalent to Gone with the Wind. I remember when it came out, it never left theaters and every person I knew had that monstrosity it a double box vhs set of it. You could go anywhere without hearing My Heart Will Go On. Like maybe Avatar, Force Awakend and avengers have passed it due to inflation, but nothing since was as much of an event movie. It’s one of those “you won’t understand how big it was unless you were there at the time”.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Titanic was the modern era’s closest equivalent to Gone with the Wind. I remember when it came out, it never left theaters and every person I knew had that monstrosity it a double box vhs set of it. You could go anywhere without hearing My Heart Will Go On. Like maybe Avatar, Force Awakend and avengers have passed it due to inflation, but nothing since was as much of an event movie. It’s one of those “you won’t understand how big it was unless you were there at the time”.
    Titanic, Batman 89, and Episode 1 the Phantom Menace were the 3 biggest films that were everywhere from my lifetime.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Titanic was the modern era’s closest equivalent to Gone with the Wind. I remember when it came out, it never left theaters and every person I knew had that monstrosity it a double box vhs set of it. You could go anywhere without hearing My Heart Will Go On.
    Yeah, the song from that movie gave Celine Dion her fifteen minutes of fame she's milked for two decades. There was a member (his name eludes me) here who gushed over Dion to a ridiculous degree that he kinda sorta became an annoyance.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Fantastic Member Red Robe Jaldari's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The Oscars have always been more hype than accurate portrayal of a movie quality. It is a small set of Industry people, (around 7,000) not all of whom vote or even see all the movies. And we never know if a movie wind by 2 votes or 200 or 2000.
    i never cared about it but they are doing a good job to make sure the faithful go away from their church.

Yah it was big at the time. I blame a dearth of anything else to get excited about, because that movie was average, average, average. My theory is that a huge passle of middle-aged women saw it over and over and over and over, and thats why it got so big.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The voters got older and older and at some point no longer resembled anything close to the general person that watches movies--or even the motive critics. (I would say the movie critics awards are better than the Oscars in terms of recognizing better cinema)

They also moved to ranked choice voting in 2009, which I think helps more blase performers win.

It's something they're working on changing but it won't happen overnight.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    The voters got older and older and at some point no longer resembled anything close to the general person that watches movies--or even the motive critics. (I would say the movie critics awards are better than the Oscars in terms of recognizing better cinema)

They also moved to ranked choice voting in 2009, which I think helps more blase performers win.

I think the critics award are just as bad as the Oscars.
    The problem is the voters are over representative older white men.
    Women, minorities and young people don’t have much of a voice in what’s good or bad.
    This is also true with critics.

Older white men has always set the narrative of what’s critical acclaim and what’s quality or not quality.
    They choose movies that we never heard of and don’t care about. Most people can’t remember who won best picture this year.
    Oscars voters and critics are out of touch and don’t represent the moviegoing public.
    Last edited by Raiders; 10-18-2018 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post

There is also the Weinstein effect Harvey Weinstein spent a lot of money to campaign and mold the Oscars into what they are now.

Just let the people vote for the Oscar-winners. Let Hollywood prove that they can do elections better and more fairly than the American election system works. Never happen - because its an inbred bunch of cowards running Hollywood.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.