Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Deadshot (Floyd Lawton) Appreciation Thread

I know there have been some who may think / complaint that Deadshot isn't a Batman villain (see separate Deadshot as a Batman villain thread), but he did get his start in an issue of Batman back in 1950, and it wasn't until after he reappeared in other Batman stories the 1970s and 1980s that he then became involved with Amanda Waller's Suicide Squad.

First appearance: back in Batman #59 (June-July 1950), though you may not recognize him.

Well, at least appears to have started with good intentions . . .
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 11-17-2018 at 07:22 PM. Reason: replaced images that apparently no longer linked

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

My first Deadshot story

DIG053282_1._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

He stole the recently incarcerated Penguin's lens that's actually a laser gun to make a hole in his cell wall then fought Batman on a giant typewriter

BANNED

Wait, some people think Deadshot isn't a Batman villain? Despite Batman being the only character he has actually and consistently gone up against on his own?
    Despite being created by a Batman writer?
    Despite being revamped by a Batman writer?
    Despite hailing from Gotham?
    Despite having an actual dynamic/relationship with Batman? The good/bad brother dynamic
    Despite being thematically Batman's complete opposite. Such as using guns and being sucky at h2h while Batman is proficient in h2h and hates guns. Or how Batman cares about life while Deadshot shows disregard for it? Or how they both lost their sons? Or how they both have biological children they both initially never knew about.

I think Deadshot is in many ways a more natural adversary for Batman than even the likes of Joker, Bane or Two-Face.
    He's exactly the sort of person Batman started his crusade.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Wait, some people think Deadshot isn't a Batman villain? Despite Batman being the only character he has actually and consistently gone up against on his own?
    Despite being created by a Batman writer?
    Despite being revamped by a Batman writer?
    Despite hailing from Gotham?
    Despite having an actual dynamic/relationship with Batman? The good/bad brother dynamic
    Despite being thematically Batman's complete opposite. Such as using guns and being sucky at h2h while Batman is proficient in h2h and hates guns. Or how Batman cares about life while Deadshot shows disregard for it? Or how they both lost their sons? Or how they both have biological children they both initially never knew about.

I think Deadshot is in many ways a more natural adversary for Batman than even the likes of Joker, Bane or Two-Face.
    He's exactly the sort of person Batman started his crusade.
    Deadshot almost exclusively appear in Suicide Squad these days. There are some Batman appearances but very few. One issue in Batman, one or two issue in another title, an appearance in Arkham game, but mostly he's with the Squad.
    I didn't even know he has a good/bad brother dynamic with Batman.
    I didn't know he suck and h2h. He's depicted that way in a cartoon and Arkham game but in recent version I saw he can go toe to toe with Harley or Deathstroke.

BANNED

He's appeared in Batman runs. For instance he was a major recurring antagonist during the Brubaker run. Legends of the Dark Knight and Secret Six 15 dwelled on his relationship with Batman. Recently we had the Constriction arc in Suicide Squad featuring Batman which Williams built up in an issue of Trinity and his very first Suicide Squad issue and Batman: Sins of the Father mini series as well as War of Jokes and Riddles and JL vs SS.

As a villain he certainly only belongs with Batman. Suicide Squad itself is after all a collection of different villains from throughout DCU. Boomerang and Croc are obviously Flash and Batman villains. So is Deadshot.

Extraordinary Member

Technically he is a Batman villain, but are relatively minor one. On the Suicide Squad he has been one of the main Protagonists from the beginning. And only Boomerang and Waller have a similarly strong connection to this team.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Technically he is a Batman villain, but are relatively minor one. On the Suicide Squad he has been one of the main Protagonists from the beginning. And only Boomerang and Waller have a similarly strong connection to this team.
    Yeah, pretty much.

Deadshot's development came outside of the Batman series, he's crossed swords with countless other characters and I'm hard pressed to remember the last good mainstream Batman vs. Deadshot story.

Deadshot's flown the coop from Bats

from Detective Comics #566 (September 1986):

Deadshot is such a badass (design, weapons, tactics, persona) I have to like him.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Cover to DETECTIVE COMICS #518.

Detective518.jpg

More from Floyd's first appearance: back in Batman #59 (June-July 1950):

from 2013's "Villains Month":

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    from 2013's "Villains Month":

Floyd without the facial hair feels so wrong to me.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics