Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do you get into comics?

Do you remember how you first get into comics?
    A recommendation from friend?
    Just some genuine curiosity?

Quote Originally Posted by chongjasmine View Post
    Do you remember how you first get into comics?
    A recommendation from friend?
    Just some genuine curiosity?
    Start with movies, tv series and animated shows - then read the related comics - to get into super-hero comics
    Other comics, just look for comics with subjects that please you. Then read the comics description and read it if you think it might be interresting.

Spectacular Member marvelmaniac6169's Avatar

Back in 60/61 there were no video games/tablets/phones so you played outside, hung out and read comic books, collected baseball cards, played with your toys etc.
    Started out reading ""Funny Books"(Archie/Harvey/Beetle Bailey/Mighty Mouse/Tom Terrific/Beany And Cecil,etc.) when I was 5/6, it was just part of what you did as a kid.
    I was not introduced to Marvel until early 1965 when I first saw the cover of F.F. #25 and I said "WOW!!! and I was hooked on Marvel.
    Had to get rid of most of my books when we moved in 69 but started to recollect newer issues again in 79 the found my first LCS in about 81/82 and I was back.

Boisterously Confused

I had older brothers that collected; they dropped out about the time that I got enough allowance of my own to start buying. So, from my first memories through my early 20s, comics were just always around (to my mother's profound disappointment). I dropped out in my mid-20s for about 10 years. Astro City brought me back somewhat. I only buy a few titles here and there, all digital, but I've been rereading the Big 2 from the 60s forward lately.

Astonishing Member

My parents bought Donald Duck, Casper, and similar comics for me when I was 4 or 5. They read them to me, and after a while I learned how to read them myself. This was quite commonplace, back in the 1950s. By the time I was 12 or so I had a pretty big accumulation of funny books. They all got lost or stolen during a move in the late 1960s, but after a hiatus of about 20 years I got back into the reading habit with titles such as Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, and Sandman.

I got into comics through my father.
    He bought lots of marvel comics and introduced me to them.
    I really love Thor back then.
    Now, I prefer DC and Vertigo comics to marvel.
    But marvel will always appeal to the child in me.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by marvelmaniac6169 View Post
    Back in 60/61 there were no video games/tablets/phones so you played outside, hung out and read comic books, collected baseball cards, played with your toys etc.
    Started out reading ""Funny Books"(Archie/Harvey/Beetle Bailey/Mighty Mouse/Tom Terrific/Beany And Cecil,etc.) when I was 5/6, it was just part of what you did as a kid.
    I was not introduced to Marvel until early 1965 when I first saw the cover of F.F. #25 and I said "WOW!!! and I was hooked on Marvel. FetLife IMVU Canva
    Had to get rid of most of my books when we moved in 69 but started to recollect newer issues again in 79 the found my first LCS in about 81/82 and I was back.
    I dropped out in my mid-20s for around 10 years. Astro City brought me back to some degree. I just purchase a couple of titles all over, all computerized, however I've been rehashing the Big 2 from the 60s forward of late.
    Last edited by polyfarlino; 10-18-2018 at 10:27 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marvelmaniac6169 View Post
    I was not introduced to Marvel until early 1965 when I first saw the cover of F.F. #25 and I said "WOW!!! and I was hooked on Marvel.

Hmm- I sold the Canarsie Courier and brought them off the rack with the profits at the newsstand on Rockaway Parkway and Glenwood Rd. I often had Ice Cream Sodas.

The more detailed story is on my Chaykin review at http://www.mrbrklyn.com/american_flagg.html

Sometime during the late 70's we visited some older relatives that just moved to NJ. So I was bored out of my mind & just wandering the house when the old guy says to me, "want to read some of my son's books"?

He dropped a HUGE box stuffed with 10-25 cents comics that his son left behind. There was crazy stuff in there, Kirby drawn Fantastic Four, Spidey #51 things like that. Before I went home he said I could keep 'em so I did.

Sometime around the 90's the son called me to ask me what I did with "his" comics...LULZ forever.

Empty is thy hand!

Always started with the cartoons. I remember as a little boy watching Superfriends, then making my own comic books. Later, the X-Men cartoon roped me in and I decided to check out the debut of Generation X, and shortly after Age of Apocalypse. Then Batman the Animated Series came along and blew my mind, so I started collecting DC stuff in addition to Marvel and branched out from there.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

One of those weekend-long D&D sessions. Saturday morning, we walked from the host's house to the LCS.

"Whoa... will the cute little girl on the cover 'survive the experience?!' " (Uncanny X-Men #139)

Aaand... hooked!

But it was several months before I could feed the monkey. The only place around me that sold comics was the drug store, and their inventory sucked.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 10-18-2018 at 05:35 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Went to 7/11 to get some gum on the way home from the pool when I was about 10. I saw a spinner rack that had Mighty Mutanimals and featured some characters that looked cool and were familiar from TMNT.

That book kind of sucked.

But... I also grabbed Infinity War because it had a ####load of awesome looking characters. I've been buying Marvel ever since.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

I really don't remember it but I've always liked comic book since I was a lil girl

Amazing Member

Loved the Spiderman and Xmen cartoons as a kid so stumbled upon the comics that way.

My parents, some Asterix, Tintin and Lucky Luke of course. (can't escape those growing up in France)

Super hero comics now it started thanks to a magazine who was called "Strange" in which you could find Marvel stories. (Spider-man, X-men, Iron Man and Alpha Flight mostly)

I don't remember when exactly but pretty early, somewhere during primary school i would say.