View Poll Results: Are Kid Superheroes A Morally Wrong Idea?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 25.00%
  • No

15 75.00%
  • I Don't Know

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are Kid Superheroes A Morally Reprehensible Concept?

Kid superheroes have gotten a bit of criticism. Namely, people find it irresponsible and dangerous for kids to be in such situations. This criticism was especially common after the death of Jason Todd.

What are your views on this? Are kid superheroes wrong or acceptable?

Depends on the circumstances, tone, and genre really.

Most kid heroes are aimed at younger audiences and it's just entertaining fantasy. I don't think anyone is saying Ben 10 or Steven Universe are morally reprehensible for example.

The Robins are a bit different in that the the bat verse is typically darker than your average kid setting, and they (for the most part) don't have any powers. So instead of having fantastic powers fighting against outlandish and sometimes comical villains they're fighting Serial Killers and mass murders with a pair of tights and a gadget belt.
    Last edited by Kusanagi; 10-15-2018 at 06:12 AM.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post

Most kid heroes are aimed at younger audiences and it's just entertaining fantasy. I don't think anyone is saying Ben 10 or Steven Universe are morally reprehensible for example.

The Robins are a bit different in that the the bat verse is typically darker than your average kid setting, and they (for the most part) don't have any powers. So instead of having fantastic powers fighting against outlandish and sometimes comical villains they're fighting Serial Killers and mass murders with a pair of tights and a gadget belt.
    That's pretty much how I feel. In more light-hearted stories I don't think it's an issue, but when it's a "grim dark" Punisher/Batman story then it gets problematic.

Then you basically have to level the same criticism against basically all of children's literature, where kids facing dangerous situations are a staple. There can be a valid criticism on these grounds in those stories that are aimed at adults, like Frank Miller's All Star Batman and Robin, but that story is (as I see it) more validly critiqued for attempting to critique the Batman mythos and doing a poor job of it.

In either case, kids have always been self-inserting themselves into stories, and I see nothing wrong with that or in crafting stories built around that practice.

It depends on how old you are defining "kid heroes" and many other things.
    Kid sidekicks were a big thing dating back to the Golden Age, but in the later part of the 20th century they became less common and often went from "kid" more towards their late-teens.

Also depends if the "kid" hero is independently operating or a mere sidekick/extension of an adult hero.

And when you say "a morally reprehensible concept", are you talking about the publisher / writer being the one who's acting in a "morally reprehensible" manner, or are the people who buy/support the books the ones at fault?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    It depends on how old you are defining "kid heroes" and many other things.
    Kid sidekicks were a big thing dating back to the Golden Age, but in the later part of the 20th century they became less common and often went from "kid" more towards their late-teens.

Also depends if the "kid" hero is independently operating or a mere sidekick/extension of an adult hero.

And when you say "a morally reprehensible concept", are you talking about the publisher / writer being the one who's acting in a "morally reprehensible" manner, or are the people who buy/support the books the ones at fault?
    I meant is it a morally reprehensible thing for the stories to support.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post

And over in Japan, kid superheroes have been all the rage for decades, thanks to the likes of Sailor Moon, Pretty Cure, Strike Witches and boatloads more.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I meant is it a morally reprehensible thing for the stories to support.
    So, who might be morally responsible for that?

This is one of those questions like, "are secret identities obsolete?" or "should Batman, Superman, Spider-Man kill people?" that is a fundamental failure to buy in to the foundations of superhero comics. The question is fine for a deconstruction, but otherwise it's seeking out the strings.

I think it is all right to have kid superheroes.
    After all, kids are mini adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    It is not okay for child soldiers to fight in Africa or the Middle East, but it is okay for Bucky, Robin, Marvel's Young Allies, DC's The Boy Commandos, and other kid superheroes to fight Nazis?
    You do realize those American examples were from nearly eighty years ago? Times were different then. The stories back then were generally aimed at the younger audience, and how many kids back in those days dreamed / imagined they could do something to help in the effort against the Axis forces?
    Also, were those kids forced against their wills to participate in the fighting, or did they chose to do so?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Then you basically have to level the same criticism against basically all of children's literature, where kids facing dangerous situations are a staple. There can be a valid criticism on these grounds in those stories that are aimed at adults, like Frank Miller's All Star Batman and Robin, but that story is (as I see it) more validly critiqued for attempting to critique the Batman mythos and doing a poor job of it.

In either case, kids have always been self-inserting themselves into stories, and I see nothing wrong with that or in crafting stories built around that practice.
    I don't think the problem is with teens/kids being superheroes per se or having stories where they might be in danger. It's more taking the golden-age approach to kid sidekicks and then trying to do overly "realistic" stories using the same trope. Batman looks really irresponsible taking 12yr olds into street fights with mobsters and drug dealers when viewed through realistic eyes.

It is not okay for child soldiers to fight in Africa or the Middle East, but it is okay for Bucky, Robin, Marvel's Young Allies, DC's The Boy Commandos, and other kid superheroes to fight Nazis?
    There is a difference between real life and comics. You do know that comics are fiction, right?

Comic Book Nazis can's aim for ****.

BANNED

The original X-Men were basically child soldiers conscripted by Xavier