Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member Jiminy_Cricket's Avatar

Default BANG...YOU DEAD! : Wolverine & Gambit Appreciation

Wanted to set up a thread on what I feel is one of the underutilized relationships in the X-Books.

In the early days of the Claremont/Lee run Gambit & Wolverine had a great dynamic together which started out as a rivalry between two maverick lone wolf types that where basically fighting it out to be the Alpha. The rivalry softened over time and it became more playful with the young buck trying to get a rise out of the old man and the old man reminding him that experience and discipline can more than match youthful exuberance.

Sadly post Fatal Attractions in the late 90’s this relationship has largely been left as a thing of the past, other than the odd writer (namely Liu) picking it up again. If we are about to enter a new era of X-Books would readers be interested in seeing this dynamic back.

What are your favorite Logan and Remy moments?

L'Enfer !

Yaaassss, I'd love to see them paired up again! Loved their dynamic both early 90's and more recently under Liu.

Wolverine #87, when both are going to the Princess Bar and Logan thinks that there is some sort of ambush inside, both break the window only to realized that it was just a surprise party for Logan

I thought the Wolverine/Gambit (or was it Gambit/wolverine, can't remember): Victims was a great mini series, really showed a great dynamic between the two. While nothing beats the family-feel first half of Claremont's run, this is my favorite post Claremont Wolverine partnership, for lack of a better word.

With Logan's return, I hope to see this two guys interact more in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by R0d View Post
    With Logan's return, I hope to see this two guys interact more in the future.
    I always felt that Wolverine understood Gambit better then the rest of the X-Men did. They are both men with dark pasts looking for redemption, Logan understood that Gambit may not want to be found after Antartica and also that he could be resentful after Rogue brought Gambit back from a state of grace in X-Treme.

From memory after the whole Mutant Massacre reveal, Logan didn't really give him a hard time but just said he better not play the X-Men for fools again...which for Wolverine, is pretty tolerant.

I like to think Remy is the kind of person Logan could have become if he didn't adopt the Samurai code
    L'Enfer !

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy_Cricket View Post
    I always felt that Wolverine understood Gambit better then the rest of the X-Men did. They are both men with dark pasts looking for redemption, Logan understood that Gambit may not want to be found after Antartica and also that he could be resentful after Rogue brought Gambit back from a state of grace in X-Treme.

From memory after the whole Mutant Massacre reveal, Logan didn't really give him a hard time but just said he better not play the X-Men for fools again...which for Wolverine, is pretty tolerant.

I like to think Remy is the kind of person Logan could have become if he didn't adopt the Samurai code

Mostly agree, though I think Storm is way up there as well as understanding where Gambit is coming from. I think aside from Rogue of course, Storm and Wolverine are Gambit's best friendships on the team.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

I cant wait for Wolverine to be like;

"So... I hear Wade made out with your wife."
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post
    Mostly agree, though I think Storm is way up there as well as understanding where Gambit is coming from. I think aside from Rogue of course, Storm and Wolverine are Gambit's best friendships on the team.
    I think different writers portray their relationship differently. Liu writes them as best buds but most the time Wolverine is written indifferent at best towards him. For that reason I wouldn't say Wolverine was one of his better friendship, I would put Beast above him in terms of friendliness with Remy.

God I miss the old X-Men Blue team!
    L'Enfer !

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    I cant wait for Wolverine to be like;

"So... I hear Wade made out with your wife."

That would be perfect, you know Logan wouldn't pass up the chance to have a joke at Remy's expense.
    L'Enfer !

My favorite scene is when Gambit outsmarts and beats Wolverine in a fight, and then Jubilee cries about it. It still makes me laugh.

uxm273.jpg

Guild Member

Guild Member

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Yes! One of my favorites
    Make Good Art