Astonishing Member

Default So..... Manthing? Help me out.

I remember reading some of his comics back in the seventies and digging them. But...... He's a dude who got ahold of some bad super soldier serum and became a mute heroic monster and sets up business in this one swamp. If you know fear his touch will burn you. This to me seems like a drawback for someone in the Super hero or heroic monster business. People in need of help from a heroic monster are often in a great deal of fear at the time. Also he got mixed up in Civil war in ny and got sliced in half by ares. So I guess this all brings me to the question WHAAAAAAAAA ? Kindly advise. Thanks.

There's Steve Gerber, and there's stuff you can ignore.

You're welcome.

I think he regrows not to different than Swamp Thing.

I think in some versions he can control his touch burning and it depended on what you feared.

I suspect that there are Essential black & white trade paperbacks of the Man Thing series.

Beyond that, as far as anything recent, I believe that Goosebumps author RL Stine wrote a Man Thing mini-series within the last year. It's probably collected in a TPB by now.

I remember reading somewhere get accidentally got run through a sewage treatment plant and gained new powers from it.

I remember thinking 'whoa...that's cool.'
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Invincible Member

The stuff I'm familiar with is mostly from the 70's where Manny was mindless. It's not that people would come to him for help the same way they would come to Capt America or whoever. Man-Thing would sort of just wander into situations or conflict would happen to come to his area of the swamp. There's some stories where Man-Thing has intelligence, but I haven't read many of those.

Incredible Member

Sorry, but the Stein written stories were pretty bad, and changed Man-Thing into a quippy, swamp version of
    Deadpol. The classic Gerber stuff is still the best.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Last time I remember reading Man-Thing was when he was a member of the Thunderbolts.

He was a regular on Punisher during the Franken Castle story arc.

Boisterously Confused

Man-Thing also got connected to a nexus of realities that had a portal in his swamp. As a result, all manner of wackiness found its way to him.

Inside his swamp, he's pretty well unkillable. An issue of Micronauts had him walk into the blades of a swamp boat, which didn't leave anything of him bigger than a bread-loaf, but he oozed back together in a matter of minutes. Don't know what would happen to him if you pureed him in the middle of concrete city.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Man-Thing also got connected to a nexus of realities that had a portal in his swamp. As a result, all manner of wackiness found its way to him.

Inside his swamp, he's pretty well unkillable. An issue of Micronauts had him walk into the blades of a swamp boat, which didn't leave anything of him bigger than a bread-loaf, but he oozed back together in a matter of minutes. Don't know what would happen to him if you pureed him in the middle of concrete city.
    Same thing happened in an issue of Marvel Team-Up, Man-Thing fell out of a building and splattered all over the streets below. Eventually, he oozed himself back together like nothing had happened.

Ultimate Member

Man-Thing wasn't a hero back in the day.

He was just a character in horror stories that had stuff and other characters bounce off him.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

For me, Grapeweasel said it well:

"There's Steve Gerber, and there's stuff you can ignore.
    You're welcome."

Gotta say, I agree.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Mighty Member

Steve Gerber, USA's Dave Sim.