Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Batman #57

BANNED

actually Batman was the one who got shot so he couldn't even speak due to brain damage!

Wow! Batman should change his no killing rule to "no killing... in plain view of witnesses and cameras. Traumatic brain injury is fine, as long as you're not seen. Also leaving them to die slowly is fine, again, if you're not seen."

Spectacular Member oldschoolfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaimaciel View Post
    Wow! Batman should change his no killing rule to "no killing... in plain view of witnesses and cameras. Traumatic brain injury is fine, as long as you're not seen. Also leaving them to die slowly is fine, again, if you're not seen."
    Painfully laughing out loud. Sad, but true.
    I am committed to the idea that any work of art should be judged on its own merit, not on the behavior or beliefs of its author.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolfan View Post
    Batman walking in the snow, to me, was a symbol for how incensed he was that some one tried to kill one of his best friends. And, folks have been racing horses in the desert for millenia, so none of that bothered me much.
    Okay. I'm going to go a little pedantic here. That horse dying?

That's actually very significant for several reasons. First, as you say, people have been racing horses in the deserts for thousands of years. Just like people have been doing endurance races with dogs in the Arctic. Now, we're all used to seeing the occasional deaths of a thourghbred horse tv, and hearing about dogs dying in the Ididitarod, but have you considered how rare that is? The deadliest year for dogs in the Iditarod in the last ten years had 5 out of hundreds die, and that was because two of them were killed by a drunk driver. Most years have no dog deaths in either the Iditarod or the Yukon Quest, and no dog on any of the teams who've run both races back to back died during a race.

In other words, sled dogs are less likely to die racing than a teenager going to school. I don't know the statistics on horses, particularly in endurance racing or rodeo, but given the regulations, it's likely that they also have a better survival rate than the average American high school student in class. It makes national and international news when animals die in those competitions. So Bruce and Selina taking a good horse and riding it to death?

That should horrify any fan of the characters because horses, like dogs, as a rule start showing signs of distress well before they collapse and die. Bruce in most continuities is depicted as an expert horseman used to doing endurance rides as well as deeply compassionate towards animals. Selina's whole thing is she's a sexy thief and animal rights activist. That either of them could override a horse, which is almost universally considered severe abuse bordering on sadistic, is horrendous. It's also not a huge step from displaying this level of animal cruelty to murdering a human.

Quote Originally Posted by kaimaciel View Post
    What does Batman ever do in front of witnesses? Also with some of the beatings he has lain down over the years, the victims might as well be dead.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I wasn't into this, honestly. Just felt like a bunch of nothing.
    Same. I've been loving King's Batman so far, but this was just ****. Hopefully it's just a very temporary lull. It happens sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Surely as an editors job they should notice how bad his dialogue is at time are and should tell him to change? How the dialogue in I am Suicide was allowed to be published is beyond me and things have only marginally improved since.
    So you're still reading it because...?

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolfan View Post
    Batman came off way to arrogant for me...
    Batman? Arrogant? I am shocked by this totally new and completely unexpected character development.