Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    "You may think you know the history of the DC Universe…but the truth is far more complex."

Nobody knows the history of the DC Universe! You keep changing it! I can't believe they're making the OTHER history of DC Universe before they finish defining what's the present DC Universe history. No... wait... I can, because they keep making new characters before they finish redefining current characters for the current universe.
    To be fair, this isn't a continuity thing. Despite its name, it's part of Black Label (however much longer that's going to exist thanks to the puritanical cowards in charge of DC right now) which isn't part of regular continuity. It's not really about detailing the history of the DCU but more about what that history would look like from the perspective of minority characters - at least, that's my take away from it.

Whether that's of interest is another story. John Ridley is a very fine writer but however much the premise has potential, I'm more than a little tired about everything being about the colour of your skin. This is not to condone racism or to deny that it's not still a huge problem throughout the world but I'm highly dubious of the idea that the way of combating this is by making skin-colour a person's defining characteristic. It negates the individual and it negates the cultural differences between people of the same skin colour. And, most simply, I just don't find this kind of reductiveness remotely interesting.

Sorry to get political but this is a book that's calling for it. Also, please note, I haven't written it off completely. If I hear good things, I will almost certainly buy it in trade. It's just that its main hook has me rather weary of it.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    To be fair, this isn't a continuity thing. Despite its name, it's part of Black Label (however much longer that's going to exist thanks to the puritanical cowards in charge of DC right now) which isn't part of regular continuity. It's not really about detailing the history of the DCU but more about what that history would look like from the perspective of minority characters - at least, that's my take away from it.

Whether that's of interest is another story. John Ridley is a very fine writer but however much the premise has potential, I'm more than a little tired about everything being about the colour of your skin. This is not to condone racism or to deny that it's not still a huge problem throughout the world but I'm highly dubious of the idea that the way of combating this is by making skin-colour a person's defining characteristic. It negates the individual and it negates the cultural differences between people of the same skin colour. And, most simply, I just don't find this kind of reductiveness remotely interesting.

Sorry to get political but this is a book that's calling for it. Also, please note, I haven't written it off completely. If I hear good things, I will almost certainly buy it in trade. It's just that its main hook has me rather weary of it.
    Just curious....out of all of the books that DC has released, can you name any books besides this one where the primary focus is the examination of social politics?

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I was looking at this thinking it was worth a look.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Just curious....out of all of the books that DC has released, can you name any books besides this one where the primary focus is the examination of social politics?
    No, that's true. I was talking more in general terms, certainly in general pop culture terms, where it seems to me like the very honourable and correct liberal fight against racism has taken on a very strange... methodology, I guess; one that strikes me as counter productive despite its best intentions.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Hm, that's an odd character to throw in here. Maybe it's gonna be a feminism centered issue? Iunno. Well, guess it would be most accurate to say the issue is largely focused on heroes of color.
    I assume it would tackle immigration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    This is awesome for this character to kick things off. Looks like we'll finally be getting a legit updated origin story for him.
    I feel like Black Lightning Year One by Jen Van Meter still holds up pretty well, but I'm guessing this is going to be an origin for a Jefferson Pierce who isn't married with kids (and didn't wear his classic suit).

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Looking forward to this. This has the potential to be a really great book.

Mighty Member

You're tired of everything being about the color of your skin. Well if our reality were a little better, maybe this wouldn't be a thing. I'm glad Ridley wants to do stories that reflect what's truly going on, rather than just another dumb story about some cosmic or multiversal threat. I'll be happy to support who has something to say.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

There is damn little doubt of me buying this. But at that price point, I'm gonna have to flip through it at the LCS before I commit.

But still......this sounds like it could be phenomenal. I really want this to blow me away, and I feel like the creative team and characters are going to make it worth the money. Hell yeah.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Everybody IS a racist but count me in.

The Death of Superman and Batman in general will be interesting from a minority viewpoint. The dueling ideals of "Man this immigrant who only tried to do good like me died saving everyone" to "Scary powerful white guy who can see/hear everything is dead"

Batman more for the whole "American policies etc screw over young black lives forcing them into crime only for Bstman to break every bone in their body"

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    You're tired of everything being about the color of your skin. Well if our reality were a little better, maybe this wouldn't be a thing. I'm glad Ridley wants to do stories that reflect what's truly going on, rather than just another dumb story about some cosmic or multiversal threat. I'll be happy to support who has something to say.
    To be honest, I do like the idea of looking at superheroes from a different angle, I'm just somewhat tired of this particular angle. Like I say, if I hear good things and it's treated with more subtlety than just, well black vs white, I'm definitely down for it. I thought 12 Years a Slave was a masterpiece (one that I never want to watch again, to be sure, but still a masterpiece) and I enjoyed the American Way so it's quite possible that I will be reading this comic and loving it a few months down the line. These are just my apprehensions about it.

One other thing, though, is because of the whole silly "controversy" around mature content in the mature-rated Batman: Damned, I am rather worried about what it means for Black Label as a whole. Antsy executives breathing down the necks of creators is generally not a good thing. I don't think this particular book was supposed to be M-rated but I would still hate it to be compromised by a bunch of people who have no business butting in to the business of actually creating comics.

I'm sure John is still a part of this. Considering he's one of the biggest heroes of colors and they are the focus of this story I doubt they'd drop him for this. I think they just didn't include him in the solicit.
    Cyborg is one of the biggest heroes of color too and he doesn't seem to be there.

Hm, that's an odd character to throw in here. Maybe it's gonna be a feminism centered issue? Iunno. Well, guess it would be most accurate to say the series is largely focused on heroes of color.
    Supergirl is an alien refugee, I assume that would be the subject of her story.
    Last edited by Johnny; 10-16-2018 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Hmm... I wonder who this "Kitana" is... (I know nobody proofreads anymore, but I'd hope the solits would do a better job )
    Come on now.

Mighty Member

One of the more interesting ideas for a series I've seen from DC in a LONG time. I'm super excited and can't wait for the release.

Some people are going to be upset about the race aspect and say "stop making things about race", but it's easy to say that when your race gives you advantages and doesn't make you a figurative and literal target. The best response I've seen to someone saying that was a simple "You first".

No, that's true. I was talking more in general terms, certainly in general pop culture terms, where it seems to me like the very honourable and correct liberal fight against racism has taken on a very strange... methodology, I guess; one that strikes me as counter productive despite its best intentions.