Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman January 2019 Solicitation

WONDER WOMAN #61
    written by G. WILLOW WILSON
    art by CARY NORD and MICK GRAY
    cover by TERRY DODSON and RACHEL DODSON
    variant cover by JENNY FRISON
    Love is dead—according to the Goddess of Love! A furious Aphrodite holds Steve Trevor captive in the middle of a war zone and tries to convince him of that very proclamation, but the hopeless romantic refuses to abandon his feelings for Wonder Woman. Meanwhile, Diana, the object of his affection, gets trapped in the bombed-out capital, where she finds the remnants of the local government and uses all her diplomatic prowess to convince them to end the conflict. Can Diana, Steve and Aphrodite end this war, or will Ares end up dancing on all their graves?
    ON SALE 01.02.19
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T+
    This issue will ship with two covers.
    Please see the order form for details.

WONDER WOMAN #62
    art by CARY NORD and MICK GRAY
    variant cover by MATTEO SCALERA
    It’s the final knock-down drag-out battle between Ares and Wonder Woman—but is there still any hope of changing the young god’s ways before he hardens into the worst possible version of himself? And if he does…is Wonder Woman to blame?
    ON SALE 01.16.19
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T+
    WONDER WOMAN #63
    art by EMANUELA LUPACCHINO and RAY McCARTHY
    variant cover by KAMOME SHIRAHAMA
    When Themyscira and the remnants of Olympus fell, the Gods weren’t the only refugees to come to Earth. A small horde of mystical creatures have found their way here, and they’re determined to start new lives…but what happens when the people of our world are equally determined not to let them? Can Diana open their minds and show them that a centaur is more than half a person?
    ON SALE 01.30.19
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T+
    This issue ship with two covers.

JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #7
    written by JAMES TYNION IV
    art and cover by ALVARO MARTINEZ BUENO and RAUL FERNANDEZ
    variant covers by KELLEY JONES
    First rule of magic: things can always get worse! Man-Bat learns that the hard way when he plays narrator and chronicles the nightmarish menagerie known as the Otherkind—horrific, monstrous entities such as “the Soup,” “the Rip” and “the Offspring”—that burst through the Sphere of Gods and invaded Earth. The JLD soon realize they’re no match for an invading horde of hellspawn, and to have any kind of chance, they’ll have to go down a darker path. But how much darker can this team get before they become monsters themselves?
    ON SALE 01.16.19
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T+
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I like the new design for Ares, and I love that Aphrodite is at the forefront of this story. She's been neglected for far too long.

And the new arc (or is it a transitional issue?) starting in #63 sound potentially great.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Ares now appears to be wearing a male version of Diana's costume(when has he ever sported a bird symbol before?). Still, he looks far better than he has since before Flashpoint.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

"When Themyscira and the remnants of Olympus fell, the Gods weren’t the only refugees to come to Earth. " Hah?! Im not sure what to make of this line. Is this supposed to be a past event or fallout from the ares vs diana arc which is to lead to the island returning?

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I like the new design for Ares, and I love that Aphrodite is at the forefront of this story. She's been neglected for far too long.

And the new arc (or is it a transitional issue?) starting in #63 sound potentially great.
    I agree wholeheartedly, it's about time Aphrodite is being used in a big way. Unfortunately, she sounds kind of villainous in this? Still, could be really interesting and I am still optimistic about Wilson's run.

As for Ares, I like his redesign, but I really hope we see some lasting changes for the character. He's almost never been an interesting antagonist for Wonder Woman (other than the scheming manipulator in Rucka's first run), and when Rucka "neutered" him that was the best development he's received in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly, it's about time Aphrodite is being used in a big way. Unfortunately, she sounds kind of villainous in this? Still, could be really interesting and I am still optimistic about Wilson's run.
    I'm all for villanious Greek gods—hardly any of them are nice guys in the myths. In many ways they are more forces of nature than anything else.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Sounds like Wilson is going down the path of "all myth, all the time." Which I am so sick of.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    "When Themyscira and the remnants of Olympus fell, the Gods weren’t the only refugees to come to Earth. " Hah?! Im not sure what to make of this line. Is this supposed to be a past event or fallout from the ares vs diana arc which is to lead to the island returning?
    I think it's the latter. Earlier solicits indicate that Ares being free has devastating consequences for Themyscira.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I don't know if its villainous or if she's providing some sort of test for everyone. In any case, it sounds like she sides with Diana and Steve over Ares by the last part.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaffrey View Post
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Sounds like Wilson is going down the path of "all myth, all the time." Which I am so sick of.
    She said on Twitter she is going to be using some classic non-myth related WW characters in her run and combine the two worlds.

I don't like the design at all, it's far too generic and Ares in blue and gray is hardly groundbreaking. Marvel's Ares was better and so were every other DC incarnation.

The solicits don't sound interesting either, there's nothing in them I want to see.

Who are the other 2 teams reportedly working on Wonder Woman? Hopefully Orlando is on one of them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm optimistic for G. Willow Wilson too but the solicits sound like vegetables and Orlando got me used to ice cream.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 10-16-2018 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I don't like the design at all, it's far too generic and Ares in blue and gray is hardly groundbreaking. Marvel's Ares was better and so were every other DC incarnation.
    What makes it any more generic than the others? I did a Google search for Marvel's Ares, and I'm afraid I have to disagree he looks pretty generic there. especially with the big Punisher skull on his chest. Here he at least brings to mind Peters' old illustrations of Mars and his cohorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Who are the other 2 teams reportedly working on Wonder Woman? Hopefully Orlando is on one of them.
    That article was pretty confusing, wasn't it just talking about the Tynion and Orlando arcs that have already come and gone? I think Wilson is pretty much it from here on out which would be a good thing IMO, the title needs some focus.

Its inspired by the Perez design clearly but not as good in comparison. A big chest emblem just doesnt' work for me, and I don't like that you can see his face through the helmet.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-16-2018 at 10:44 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Yeah this isn’t firing me up. Ares is boring, he’s always been boring, wish she had decided to focus on someone else first. I really hope this run isn’t going to be focused on the Gods, I’m so sick of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Its inspired by the Perez design clearly but not as good in comparison. A big chest emblem just doesnt' work for me, and I don't like that you can see his face through the helmet.
    The solicits mention him as being a "young God," which is weird. Are we seeing only one aspect of Ares, and the worst possible version he could turn into resembles the Perez and Sharp designs?

Incredible Member

There's also this:

HEROES IN CRISIS #4
    written by TOM KING
    art by CLAY MANN
    cover by TREVOR HAIRSINE
    variant cover by RYAN SOOK
    Wonder Woman versus…Booster Gold?! Diana finds out the hard way that Booster can be a formidable opponent when his back’s against the wall. Of course, being the prime suspect in a superhero massacre and exposing a secret trauma hospital for metahumans will do just that. Meanwhile, Batman and the Flash combine their detective skills to investigate what went awry at Sanctuary and uncover a serious glitch in the system—not to mention an explosive, spoiler-ific secret!
    ON SALE 01.02.19
    $3.99 US | 4 of 9
    32 PAGES | FC | RATED T+

What makes it any more generic than the others? I did a Google search for Marvel's Ares, and I'm afraid I have to disagree he looks pretty generic there. especially with the big Punisher skull on his chest. Here he at least brings to mind Peters' old illustrations of Mars and his cohorts.
    ARES MARVEL.jpg

Marvel's Ares wears minimal armor and leather pants, the only real nod to antiquity are his weapons and helmet. He looks modern and cool and sexy.

Ares_Prime_Earth_004.jpg

Though he may have stepped off an 80's heavy metal album cover the most recent depiction by Liam Sharp is cool too. Notice all the details like the skull profile on the bottom of the helmet's face guard, the ram's horns, the glowing red eyes, the interlocking metal plating on the boots with all the scroll work. Then look at the image from the solicits, that Ares is suffering from an identity crisis. The armor is basic ancient Greek warrior and Wonder Woman's golden eagle on his chest makes him appear severely nonthreatening. Where's the smoke, fire and special effects of Perez's Ares and the Vader like air of mystery and menace?