Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Why does it seem like almost NOBODY pays attention to the fact that 4th week titles for December aren't shipping until January because of Christmas?

To clarify:
    * OCTOBER =
    - DETECTIVE COMICS #990 (In Shops: Oct 10, 2018)
    - DETECTIVE COMICS #991 (In Shops: Oct 24, 2018)

* NOVEMBER =
    - DETECTIVE COMICS #992 (In Shops: Nov 14, 2018)
    - DETECTIVE COMICS #993 (In Shops: Nov 28, 2018)

* DECEMBER =
    - DETECTIVE COMICS #994 (In Shops: Dec 12, 2018)

* JANUARY =
    - DETECTIVE COMICS #995 (ON SALE 01.02.19)
    - DETECTIVE COMICS #996 (ON SALE 01.16.19)
    - DETECTIVE COMICS #997 (ON SALE 01.30.19)

Issue #995 would normally ship the fourth week of the month, but for December that's the 26th, the day after Christmas. Here in the U.S., comic book shops would normally get their deliveries on the Tuesday, but in December that's CHRISTMAS DAY, and Monday is Christmas Eve.
    And since January is a five-Wednesday month, they can schedule those normally twice-a-month titles to ship the 1st, 3rd, and 5th week of January to get caught up.
    I know me and a lot of people don't look at release dates and just assume it's coming out the month of the solicitations unless there's "advance solicit" or "resolicit" in allcaps.
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Nope. It's what @MajorHoy said. Also, I'm super glad they're not following up on anything from Robinson's short intrusion. One of the few writers that can make me just drop a book until he's gone. Very excited to have Tomasi back on a Batman book and giddy over Mahnke drawing it.

This is how I'm finally going to check out The Authority. After all these years that I've failed to do so. I'm trending away from single issues and towards collections so I enjoyed your thoughts on the collections coming out in Jan.

I'm getting this too for the very same reason. Just not right away. I'll wait for the price to drop a bit on Amazon. Vol. 1 is beautiful and the cover beneath the dust jacket is super sleek. I just had it delivered last week for around $45.

I'm really drawn to this too. I loved the hell out of Blackest Night (not to mention Brightest Day which I also loved) but the collections really haven't been great.

Finally a comprehensive collection! For the issues you mentioned and also for the various 3 issue tie-in series' like Batman: Blackest Night, JSA: Blackest Night, etc. I've read them all at one point or another but it would be great to read them all in the order they're meant to be read in. Same reason I'm collecting the Morrison Batman omnibuses.

The New 52 collections have left a lot to be desired. So have the hardcover collections for some Rebirth titles like King's Batman, which reprints all of "Night of the Monster Men" (the low point of the series IMO) including tie-ins but leaves out the two Flash issues of "The Button."

As collections go, I really prefer the comprehensive ones. Blackest Night looks great that way.
    The trades for King's Batman have been truly terrible. Vol. 3 collects "I am Bane", but also some issues after The Button, so you have absolutely no clue why Batman suddenly wants to quit. Vol. 1 removed the credits within the issues... except "I am Gotham" is used as part of a character's dialogue, so what he says makes no sense. It's just not well-collected at all.

My problem with the New 52 stuff came with them skipping things for no reason (at least with Johns' Aquaman, issue 20 was a soft-pilot for Aquaman and the Outsiders, though I still feel it should be included), or skipping stuff that's kind of required (the Green Lantern trades during their big crossovers) or are just straight up WEIRD (the Animal Man solicitations had it leave out issues for no reason, but these issues were included in the trade). Let's not even get into the clusterfuck of Scott Snyder's Batman, like how neither of the Zero Year trades collected issue 0, which was required reading -- No, that was in the trade of random stuff that wasn't collected in the other trades! Because that's logical!

I am genuinely surprised the third Wonder Woman Rebirth OHC didn't accidentally collect half of Robinson's stuff, because that was a genuine concern I had. Although they WERE good about collecting Rucka's run in the order it was printed, which I think is the best way to read it; sure the story is less direct, but the "The Lies" and "Year One" play off each other very well, and that's kind of just lost when getting the trades for the individual stories.
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Barbarian View Post
    . . . Let's not even get into the clusterfuck of Scott Snyder's Batman, like how neither of the Zero Year trades collected issue 0, which was required reading -- No, that was in the trade of random stuff that wasn't collected in the other trades! Because that's logical!
    Actually, one would think that story in Batman #0 should be included with the Zero Year collections, but . . . where exactly would it fit?

After having read the Zero Year collected versions, it seemed more and more to me like the Batman #0 was more like a rough first attempt experiment that got left out of the final overall story. I think of it more like an out-take from a movie that just really didn't fit in the final editing of everything.

Actually, one would think that story in Batman #0 should be included with the Zero Year collections, but . . . where exactly would it fit?

After having read the Zero Year collected versions, it seemed more and more to me like the Batman #0 was more like a rough first attempt experiment that got left out of the final overall story. I think of it more like an out-take from a movie that just really didn't fit in the final editing of everything.
    I may be misremembering what exactly was in it, and **** if I'm gonna read that **** show again. But just put it at the front, as in where it would be if people read the story via issues. If it doesn't fit, oh well. It's not gonna fit when people eventually read it anyway.

Regular pulls:

I may be misremembering what exactly was in it, and **** if I'm gonna read that **** show again. But just put it at the front, as in where it would be if people read the story via issues. If it doesn't fit, oh well. It's not gonna fit when people eventually read it anyway.
    Batman #0 was cover-dated November 2012. The actual "Zero Year" arc didn't actually start until issue #21 (August 2013), and I don't remember it continuing directly off of the story that started in issue #0.
    I really don't know if any of the issues in the "Zero Year" arcs ever bothered to acknowledge the events from issue #0.

It really was a stupid move by Snyder to make it sound like issue #0 was going to be part of the "Zero Year" story and then sort of later write the actual story without including it, but to me that's what seemed to happen. (Maybe somebody else has a better idea of where exactly issue #0 does fit in to the narrative?)

Definitely getting:

Justice League #15-16
    Superman 100 Page Super-Spectacular
    Detective Comics #995-997
    The Green Lantern #3
    Adventures of The Super Sons #6
    Deathstroke #39

Batman #0 was cover-dated November 2012. The actual "Zero Year" arc didn't actually start until issue #21 (August 2013), and I don't remember it continuing directly off of the story that started in issue #0.
    I really don't know if any of the issues in the "Zero Year" arcs ever bothered to acknowledge the events from issue #0.

It really was a stupid move by Snyder to make it sound like issue #0 was going to be part of the "Zero Year" story and then sort of later write the actual story without including it, but to me that's what seemed to happen. (Maybe somebody else has a better idea of where exactly issue #0 does fit in to the narrative?)
    Zero Year didn't continue off from it. #0 takes place kinda in the middle, since it ends with the Joker right about to blow up Bruce's apartment. Also, I know it came out ages before -- the New 52 had that whole Zero Month thing -- but that's nothing new for trades. Include it anyway -- if people were to read all the Zero Year-related stuff in order, it'd come there.

Regular pulls:

Zero Year didn't continue off from it. #0 takes place kinda in the middle, since it ends with the Joker right about to blow up Bruce's apartment. Also, I know it came out ages before -- the New 52 had that whole Zero Month thing -- but that's nothing new for trades. Include it anyway -- if people were to read all the Zero Year-related stuff in order, it'd come there.
    But it really didn't feel like that issue fit ANYWHERE in the story without causing problems with what already had and hadn't happened so far.

But it really didn't feel like that issue fit ANYWHERE in the story without causing problems with what already had and hadn't happened so far.
    I don't know. In the french version of the collected Batman new 52, Issue #0 is the first of the two part Zero Year, and it's precised that it's not perfectly fitting with the rest, but the flow was overall great.