Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Is New York Comic Con 2018 not recent enough for you? That's where Bendis talked about being excited for who's writing the Jimmy book.

https://twitter.com/GregSilber/statu...50231129264130

And almost as if he were reading these very boards Bendis was just asked "I am LOVING your Superman run so far. I'm begging you to do what DC hasn't done for a few years and put Jimmy Olsen to some use, please! I'll be reading either way!"

He then replayed by saying "THANK you. jimmy and Lois fans are going to be very happy this year! you won't believe it. honestly, its almost too much."

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/sta...33235490324480

So, yeah, doesn't get more recent than, well, today.
    Neat. Sorry man sometimes I let pessimism wear me down. Helps with the heartbreak when cool stuff ends up dying on the vine.

That Marv Wolfman One Shot looks cool. Superman Confidential was a pretty good series.

Still no Superman Year One?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Who said Supergirl is ending? I didn't catch the final issue tag anywhere. And I'm going off of quotes by Bendis himself from NYCC and an interview on Word Balloon where he pretty unambiguously confirmed both. I'm not about to find either because they're basically buried in the Bendis thread, but you're more than welcome to it if you don't believe me. No one has given a date for these books yet, but confirmation that they're in the works for the near future is 100% out there.
    It wil end in less than a year based on its sales. So even if Bendis plans on launching Lois and Jimmy books spinning from the Leviathan story ( May-August) then Super Sons will have wrapped up by then and Supergirl likely will have as well.

Black Label fyi doesn't count. They're part of a completely separate office at DC. So the rumored Lois book in that line by Rucka.
    Going back to Bendis, those books are not a reality almost 3 quarters in to a year of his takeover. So lets stop assuming they exist. When we get actual solicits or heck even some announcement then maybe we should consider them. For now all I know is that Bleeding Cool speculated a Jimmy book which they themselves stated got canned.

Prior incarnations of Supergirl have lasted longer with similar sales. Volume 6 (New 52) lasted the totality of the era, 5 years. Same time frame for Volume 5, the pre-FP version, when she got her own title. And neither volume did noticeably better or worse compared to this current run. Her books tend live around roughly a 25k average, and DC generally seems content with that. Hell the last time her book was put on the shelf was the planned hiatus as Bendis set up the new Super status quo. So there's really nothing to back up your assertion that the book has less than a year left.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-19-2018 at 10:45 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

You do realize this book has already been cancelled? They just continued it in the hope that its connectivity with the Bendis run will boost its sales significantly but that didn't happen.

I realize it went on a couple month hiatus and has now come back, with absolutely nothing to suggest yet that an ending is on the horizon. I mean, it did just check in a bad month, yes. A sizeable drop between its return in August to September. But that hardly assures its cancellation. Its gone that low before during Rebirth and rebounded. Also, just as easy to speculate that if numbers don't rise/continue to drop they'd go back to what they were doing before Bendis's arrival on Superman; as those were healthy numbers before the hiatus. Main point being nothing to automatically guarantee its on the way out because of a bad month. I mean, you've been challenging Superlad's points about potential books that have yet to be officially announced, yet at the same time banking on the ending of a book that has no actual indication of ending.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-19-2018 at 01:17 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Except this book was already cancelled only for DC to change its mind later on.

https://www.newsarama.com/38731-supe...-in-doubt.html

How long do you think uncancelled books last? New Super-Man got 6 additional issues,Omega Men also got 6. I'm banking on the cancellation based on sales numbers, those are hard stats not Bendis's assurances that he has big plans for Lois and Jimmy which could mean anything.

The link was unnecessary, I acknowledged the brief cancellation more than once already. What's relevant is that its ongoing again. Supergirl is not New Super-Man or Omega Men. What it is, is a property with a long history of a decade plus of being in a near-consistent ongoing state. That's also a hard stat. Furthermore while she's not a top seller but she's an iconic figure within the industry and that has always bought her some degree of sway, just like it does with other iconic characters who don't necessarily perform great often. Hence why comparing her to those former two titles, one based one completely brand new concept and another a sparsely used one respectively, are poor comparisons. So there's other key factors that make this situation far less predictive than you're pretending. What we know is that this a currently ongoing title and as of latest solicits still is into the new year. That's a hard fact. Thus any predictions of its end remain speculation, regardless of the reasons behind forming said speculation.

So in reality yes, Bendis' basically unofficial confirmation of some kind of Lois and Jimmy project(s) actually do hold more weight than your speculation that Supergirl is on its way out the door.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-20-2018 at 02:27 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The link was unnecessary, I acknowledged the brief cancellation more than once already. What's relevant is that its ongoing again. Supergirl is not New Super-Man or Omega Men. What it is, is a property with a long history of a decade plus of being in a near-consistent ongoing state. That's also a hard stat. Furthermore while she's not a top seller but she's an iconic figure within the industry and that has always bought her some degree of sway, just like it does with other iconic characters who don't necessarily perform great often. Hence why comparing her to those former two titles, one based one completely brand new concept and another a sparsely used one respectively, are poor comparisons. So there's other key factors that make this situation far less predictive than you're pretending. What we know is that this a currently ongoing title and as of latest solicits still is into the new year. That's a hard fact. Thus any predictions of its end remain speculation, regardless of the reasons behind forming said speculation.

So in reality yes, Bendis' basically unofficial confirmation of some kind of Lois and Jimmy project(s) actually do hold more weight than your speculation that Supergirl is on its way out the door.
    You say that you acknowledge the cancellation but in the next sentence(s) you make it sound like this book never got cancelled with the way you seem to be so sure of it. I never questioned Supergirl's iconic status or history. But Omega Men and New Super-Man also had similar factors going for them that outweighed DC's financial considerations for a short period. Omega Men was hugely acclaimed, it had active fan support, it had rising star Tom King whom DC didn't want slipping away to Marvel. New Super-man was also highly acclaimed, it was written by a rising star minority writer about minority characters. But in the long run financial realities trump other factors. For those books the respite period lasted six months. How long do you think Supergirl will survive with those numbers? My entire argument was that since Bendis came on board we went from

Superman(twice monthly)
    Action Comics(twice monthly)
    Super Sons (ongoing)
    New Super-man
    Supergirl
    Superwoman(ok I wont hold this against Bendis)

To
    Superman(monthly)
    Action (monthly)
    Adventures of Super Sons(limited series)
    Supergirl( the uncancelled Rebirth volume)

Instead I was told that it all evens out (by some math that escapes me) because there are books with Jimmy, Lois and Jon that haven't been announced, that have no wip art, that are not in the solicits, that have no title names, have no release dates, no creative teams, not even leaked info etc but they exist apparantely. For all I know this project could be the second arc of Action Comics. There's nothing that indicates another book(s).

Pointing out the book was quickly brought back, that its still ongoing as we speak, is not ignoring that it was indeed canceled and off the shelf for a couple months. I don't know how much more acknowledgment I need to offer. Its a fact I've never tried to deny it. That it was brought back and is ongoing again? That's a fact too. So is the fact that the character of Supergirl simply means more to DC than Kenan Kong or the Omega Men, and why it can and has survived low sales before. What you seem to want is for me to admit you have the lions share of the evidence that its going to be canceled again soon. But you don't, so I can't and won't do that. Its really as simple as that. You're more than free to speculate that it doesn't have long to go again. You have your reasons. But thos reasons aren't any sort of proof, what they are is conjecture, and for every bit of conjecture you can throw out that backs up your feeling, there's another piece of conjecture that backs up the idea it stays. Neither you nor I know the future. So I'm going off the present and for the present the book is an ongoing monthly and I'm going to continue to treat it as such. That's all I'm saying.

Your argument about the other books not existing yet, I have no issue with that. Its entirely accurate to say what's up his sleeve is still an unknown to us. When I say that Bendis holds more weight I say that in the sense that he knows what's coming more than any of us do, obviously. What the projects actually ARE though, we don't know for sure yet there either. So I got no problem with one holding their breath there, that's never been an issue for me. But on the Supergirl thing my only argument is that right now its more than safe to operate that its going to be around for a while because it IS around, and the arguments its going away is just conjecture. And conjecture/speculation isn't meant as a pejorative or anything, its something we do all the time. But I can't swallow that predicting an upcoming scratch is of some high likelihood based on anything we have before us right now. If it happens it happens, but there's just as much to point at to suggest its staying than to suggest its on the way out. And since it IS currently still ongoing its more than safe to just roll with that fact over anything else at this point. That's all I've been saying.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-20-2018 at 12:12 PM.

I'm just glad there's a non Bendis written Superman comic for once, even if it is a one shot of an unpublished story for Superman Confidential. Some variety is sorely needed in the current Superman line.