Default How should DeMatteis' Harry Osborn saga be reprinted?

In a thread about other potential reprints, Huntsman Spider brought up some big stories that Marvel has not reprinted at all, the most egregious being the Harry Osborn saga.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    How about an omnibus or two for J.M. DeMatteis, namely his Kraven (and Kravinoff family) story arcs, his handling of Harry Osborn's final descent into madness and eventual death, and even his establishment of the backstories and characterizations of Spider-Man's clone "brothers" Ben Reilly and Kaine?
    I think we're all in agreement that this is a significant omission, but how do you guys think Marvel should go about reprinting DeMatteis' early 90s work?

There are plenty of good one-off stories ("Light the Night" with Electro, the Webspinners Mysterio story) but I think Marvel should start with Dematteis/ Buscema's Harry Osborn Saga (Spectacular Spider-Man #178-200.) It could be done as an omnibus, two Ultimate collections, or a series of TPBs.

There are related stories from the time that could be done, including DeMatteis' back-up stories for Invasion of the Spider Slayers, and the Soul of the Hunter one-shot with Zeck. The only issue with that one is that it's been collected as part of the Kraven's Last Hunt deluxe edition.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Thanks for the shout-out. I'd be fine with either a hardcover Omnibus, or a paperback Complete Collection.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

...I'd be fine with either a hardcover Omnibus, or a paperback Complete Collection.
    same here
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

OHC would be good, especially if it was soon followed by a Maximum Carnage OHC (and maybe PD and Conway SSM omnis, a Michelinie/Bagley ASM omni, and some more OHCs/omnis to run up to the Clone Saga). Oh, and a WoS OHC that covers around issues 84-100. And . . .

Fantastic Member

isn't this the purpose of the epic collections?
    DC: Action Comics, Batman, Batman/Superman, Batman and Robin, Batman Off World, Detective Comics, Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, JG: Flash, JL vs. Godzilla, JSA, Nightwing, Shazam, Superman, Titans, Beast World

Marvel: Amazing Spider-Man, Fall of the House of X, Fantastic Four, Resurrection of Magneto, Spectacular Spider-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man, WolverineL Madripoor Knights, X-Men

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrewHLMW View Post
    isn't this the purpose of the epic collections?
    They haven't hit the SM satellite titles yet (and 23 issues, two oversized and two annuals is a bit big for one epic).

One might also question whether the Epic Collections would start SSM w/DeMatteis's run. I would guess the most sought after SSM collections would be Owl/Octopus and Harry Osborn - Marvel tries to spread out the "important" collections a bit.

Astonishing Member

A Omnibus or the Epic Collections would be the best to have those stories re-printed.

Astonishing Member

The best option would be as an omnibus. It would be easy to do since it was him and Sal Buscema on all issues (Sal definitely deserves equal recognition and celebration.)

The only problem is that each arc is worth its own tpb.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    The best option would be as an omnibus. It would be easy to do since it was him and Sal Buscema on all issues (Sal definitely deserves equal recognition and celebration.)

The only problem is that each arc is worth its own tpb.
    Why not do both?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Why not do both?
    Marvel most likely will do both eventually. An omnibus would be the most economical of the two, though. I don't really care how they do it. All I care is that the entire run is made available. It is right up there with my favourite ever runs on any comic, or character, period. I actually re-read it recently and it hasn't dated at all. Which shows just how ahead of the curve JMD and Sal were at the time. I was a kid when those issues came out. I loved them then. But now, as an adult, I have a much deeper appreciation for the tales being told in those books. They work on multiple levels. So there literally is something for everyone.

BANNED

Of course they should! The Harry Osborn/Green Goblin arc was just as classic and heart shattering almost as The Night Gwen Stacy Died.