Default Variant covers for comics

Firstly, why are there so many variant covers for the same comic?
    Secondly, do you think variant covers is a good idea?
    Thirdly, what are your general opinion on variant covers?

Astonishing Member

1-Itīs a trend that started in the 90s.
    2-I donīt mind them.There have been times that i liked more a variant cover that the main cover of a comic book.But itīs not a major factor to choose the comic books i buy.
    3-Depends of the quality of the covers.If a comic book have three great covers by diferent artistīs,i like to have more options in regards of the cover of the comic book i am buying.If the covers are just comercial i find it annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    I am surprised they are still selling variants after the 90's. So there are still suckers out here. Well, it is good for business
    I can't even get mad at them anymore. It's like watching the suckers get played at 3 card monty again & again & again. If the millennials want to get suckered like Generation X did, then let it be so.

Astonishing Member

Variant covers actually were first made in the late 80s,i thought it was with the multiple covers for X-Men#1 by Chris Clameront and Jim Lee but the first comic book with variant covers was Man of Steel by John Byrne in the late 80īs.
    Dunno how new number ones comic book having variant covers,making it possible to have more artistic intrepretations of a super hero by differente artistīs is the same as scam cards games.