Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

double post

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post

On a closing note everyone should just go and read Astro City. Busiek is a genius that has more to say about comics in his stories than anyone alive and working today. He is carrying the torch and will be looked back on as a giant of comics. All of these issues and many more have been turned into stories. That takes amazing talent and it is an example for us all. We can achieve so much more if we just stop arguing about things and actually contribute to the literary conversation.

This panel says it all:

Attachment 72772
    Are you suggesting that that some of the Astro City characters/ stories are done with a Marvel “flavour” and some with a DC flavour?

(NB. Years since I read any of the Astro City stories..will have to re-read them sometime, and get digital copies of those I haven’t read. At this remove..I’d say they came across as DC characters, but in a Marvel world setting.)

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Are you suggesting that that some of the Astro City characters/ stories are done with a Marvel “flavour” and some with a DC flavour?

(NB. Years since I read any of the Astro City stories..will have to re-read them sometime, and get digital copies of those I haven’t read. At this remove..I’d say they came across as DC characters, but in a Marvel world setting.)
    The latest ones are some of my favourite comics of all time. For a start there are mixed characters, both DC and Marvel analogs. Every story is character driven, which is unlike both companies because the majority of superhero comics are plot driven. They feel like they sit in the middle of the two companies in a place that gives us insight into what makes comics across the board similar but also makes the differences stand out. Many stories are metatextual in that these are comics about comics. But not in an overblown manner, rather in a light touch and highly personal way. The panel I used above is from a collection of linked stories that chart the feeling of comic history as defined by a music analogy, finishing with a subtle reference back to the first comics. There are no better comics on the market. There are equally good comics but none as perfectly expressive and loving of the art of comic book stories.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    The latest ones are some of my favourite comics of all time. For a start there are mixed characters, both DC and Marvel analogs. Every story is character driven, which is unlike both companies because the majority of superhero comics are plot driven. They feel like they sit in the middle of the two companies in a place that gives us insight into what makes comics across the board similar but also makes the differences stand out. Many stories are metatextual in that these are comics about comics. But not in an overblown manner, rather in a light touch and highly personal way. The panel I used above is from a collection of linked stories that chart the feeling of comic history as defined by a music analogy, finishing with a subtle reference back to the first comics. There are no better comics on the market. There are equally good comics but none as perfectly expressive and loving of the art of comic book stories.
    Thanks for that.

Next time they are in weekly Comixology sale, will have to dig out the ones I’ve got, note the numbers, then get all the missing ones...I never read comics as closely as you, but this is one series where it wouldn’t be a hardship to re-read the ones I’ve already read, and always a pleasure to have some related new material to read when doing a re-read.