Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Lately, I prefer Marvel over DC and it’s not even close. Historically, however I have preferred DC over Marvel. My dad was a huge DC fan and growing up we would watch The John Wesley Shipp Flash series and the Batman/Superman the Animated series. Heck, the first movie I saw in theaters was Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm. My Dad would also take me to the comic store around christmas to pick out some books for my stocking. The first comics I remember picking out was Mark Waid’s Terminal Velocity Arc on The Flash. I guess you could say I always felt home in the DC universe because it reminded me of home
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Lately, I prefer Marvel over DC and it’s not even close. Historically, however I have preferred DC over Marvel. My dad was a huge DC fan and growing up we would watch The John Wesley Shipp Flash series and the Batman/Superman the Animated series. Heck, the first movie I saw in theaters was Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm. My Dad would also take me to the comic store around christmas to pick out some books for my stocking. The first comics I remember picking out was Mark Waid’s Terminal Velocity Arc on The Flash. I guess you could say I always felt home in the DC universe because it reminded me of home
    I was also a Batman TAS and Superman TAS kid, I constantly rewatched them and remember actually picking up DvDs to rent them every Christmas and it always included Christmas with the Joker and Mask of the Phantasm. Honestly the DCAU was how I got into comics, the characters appealed to me from there more than the Marvel ones did at the time aside from Wolverine and the X-Men. Wally’s Flash, John Stewart, I really liked those characters- Conroy’s Batman and Hamill’s Joker are still the Gold Standard, and to me DCAU Superman is the Most Superman the character can be
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

BANNED

Legacy and bigger then life characters

5 years ago I would've said I like marvel better... but the current marvel universe is unrecognizable to me (Stuff like Scott Summers being dead), whilst DC is still mostly the characters I've always known.

I've always either gravitates towards either Batman in DC or X-Men in Marvel. X-Men have been in a weird place for a while but Batman has been consistent since forever.....

DC Wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Conroy’s Batman and Hamill’s Joker are still the Gold Standard, and to me DCAU Superman is the Most Superman the character can be
    YES! Absolutely agree. DCAU is and probably always will be my Superman!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

When I started reading comics in the mid-late 80s, I couldn't find a thing by Marvel that I actually liked, whereas in DC I found Superman, Batman, JLI, The Shadow, The Question, Swamp Thing. There was no contest.

I tried X-Men, but Claremont's writing drove me off. I had no interest in Captain America, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, Punisher, Conan etc. Spider-Man might have had a chance, but I never read anything from that era till much later (and didn't really enjoy it).

What I did manage to enjoy was Frank Miller's Daredevil and Elektra (absolute classics, both), Simonson's Thor (to a lesser extent, but still fun) and Barry Windsor Smith's Wolverine.

Outside of those examples, the only comics I've found of any value from Marvel are from Quesada's Marvel Knights line and is and Bill Jemas's subsequent takeover of Marvel. Marvel really shone for a few years then, but now it's very much fading away for me again.

I dont

I dont prefer one over the other.

I don't see it as a competition There are characters in both houses I like and enjoy.

Don't see that changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    YES! Absolutely agree. DCAU is and probably always will be my Superman!
    Yes! I still love The Whole JLU story with the Question and Superman, it was amazing and he made many valid points- Superman was crossing lines- Attempting to Lobotomise Doomsday just like the Other Superman did, There was a Heavily Armed Watchtower in the Sky, an Army of very Proactive Heroes, Luthor running for President, even down to Flash dying. But Clark got the most Superman moment I’ve ever seen:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LkHOesDNjIg

Hell, Lex was also perfect from that Show:
    “Don't think of it as an end, Superman. My biotech people will spend years studying your carcass. I'm certain it will be a most profitable endeavor.”- Lex Luthor
    Or his confrontation with Darkseid:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vuKExOmuuvw
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

I've stated many times I hate the multiverse, but I think Marvel has a way to loose continuity than DC does even and I find it annoying. I also don't care that long time titles keep get new #1's, yes DC does it a lot too, but not as much as Marvel does.

DC was also more heroic in my opinion. I don't know if that is true today anymore, but when I started reading, I felt they were.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Nah Justice League(DC) is still around with its Capes and trunks, Domino masks,Secret Identities and sidekicks while Avengers(Marvel) have largely discard those things. Of course company each side has examples some of the other stuff Marvel has huge DC like legacy/sidekick character push over last couple years and Thor,Dr Strange and Vision still have Capes. But there is clearly different tone between the two yes it is closer than in past years but when DC is in its zone its heroes feel Godlike and like a spectacle, When Marvel is in its zone feel like what would happen if heroes were in the real world. Each has of course is trying to get customers you will see a Sentry aka Superman at Marvel or Damage aka Hulk at DC. The top heroes set the tone in the universe and there is clear difference but good businesses will try to give you a taste other thing.

Side note Some of the more Current Avengers runs have been leaking into Justice League territory the current run for example is playing in that sandbox.
    I'd respectfully disagree. Of course Marvel has more of it, but several major DC characters have their identities as a matter of public record for a long time now. Wonder Woman, Aquaman, John Stewart, Guy Gardener, Elongated Man, Swamp Thing, John Constantine, Zatanna, Starfire, Beast Boy, Robotman, Jason Blood, and J'onn Jones/Martian Manhunter are all prominent examples. And there are many, many more.

Also, in regards to the other point, I think that many of the most famous DC runs have made their heroes more approachable and human as opposed to godlike. I mean, look at the Wolfman/Perez New Teen Titans which was famous for having the Titans deal with real problems that young adults face while also being superheroes. Kyle Rayner was likened to Spider-Man for many years because of his slew of love interests and his struggle to make a living as an artist. In fact, much of DC in the 90s was defined by relatable and down to earth heroes. And, honestly, I'd say that that was one of DC's best eras.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 10-17-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Super Friends grabbed me when I was a kid and never let go...

DC shouldn't really dabble in the high-school superhero trope. That's not where their strength is.

In fact, I think the only character where that really works is Spider-Man and Spider-Girl.

The only times DC tried it was Firestorm and Tim Drake's series and they were good, but they didn't quite feel like High School students at all, and people didn't really paid much attention.

I've gotten into both DC and Marvel when I was a kid. As I got older, I preferred Marvel more until Clone Saga and all that other nonsense happened then, I switched to DC full time. Nowadays with DC since the New 52/Rebirth, I gave up on DC although I pick up a Bat-Book every now and then but that's about it. I stick with the independents mostly now.
    Last edited by Dr. Skeleton; 10-18-2018 at 04:15 AM.

for me, i like the characters more at dc. don't know why.

there was a time that i thought that the characters were more noble... and relied less on shock value...

Astonishing Member

Brilliant fun feel good ideas like shooting Dick Grayson in the head and changing his name to Ric.