Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Sometimes You Need People on the Outside: The Outsiders Appreciation Thread 2018

I figured with the return of the Outsiders, it's time for an appreciation thread in honor of Batman's black-ops team.

you know how these things go:

DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree(s) of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree(s) of this thread. No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Batman and the Outsiders (1983-1987) #1

DIG021550._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Featuring the first appearance of Geo-Force and Katana. Batman quits the Justice League after they refuse to help him recover Lucius Fox from freedom fighters in Markovia--prompting the Dark Knight to form his own rescue team.

Credits
    Written by
    Mike W. Barr
    Art by
    Jim Aparo
    Colored by
    Adrienne Roy
    Cover by
    Jim Aparo
    Print Release Date
    June 1 1983

I'm a bit concerned with this series. I didn't read the issues of Detective Comics that Hill started the idea in, and all the solicitation blubs make it sound like we'll be stuck with Bruce as Bat-Jerk, always keeping secrets from his "team".

Can't see that situation working out too well for too long, so will Batman's attitude change or will the team tell Batman to screw himself and leave him before that?

This isn't a knock on this team, but from an internal perspective, it's pretty strange that a "black-ops team" created by Batman doesn't include the most obvious Bat who fits that description, especially when this team's first order of business is almost exactly the sort of thing she was recently fighting (and dismantling almost singlehandedly, besides).

I hope that gets addressed somehow, even just as "she's busy with other stuff".
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

BANNED

Probably because the team was:
    1) Created decades before Batwoman
    2) Already has its quota of Bat characters. Particularly Batman himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Probably because the team was:
    1) Created decades before Batwoman
    2) Already has its quota of Bat characters. Particularly Batman himself.
    Internal reasons, I said.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    This isn't a knock on this team, but from an internal perspective, it's pretty strange that a "black-ops team" created by Batman doesn't include the most obvious Bat who fits that description, especially when this team's first order of business is almost exactly the sort of thing she was recently fighting (and dismantling almost singlehandedly, besides).

I hope that gets addressed somehow, even just as "she's busy with other stuff".
    I doubt Batwoman will be mentioned at all. The thing with Outsiders is, it's pretty much has always been a predominantly metahuman team. Also there are plenty teams that "should" have certain characters as members but never did. I mean, Tim Drake, Bronze Tiger, or any of Batman's endless contacts could've been on this team. you just gotta roll with it sometimes, ya know?

In-story, Bruce picked Duke and Cass particularly because he felt Jefferson could properly teach/train them better than he could. Batwoman doesn't need training.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-17-2018 at 08:38 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I'm a bit concerned with this series. I didn't read the issues of Detective Comics that Hill started the idea in, and all the solicitation blubs make it sound like we'll be stuck with Bruce as Bat-Jerk, always keeping secrets from his "team".

Can't see that situation working out too well for too long, so will Batman's attitude change or will the team tell Batman to screw himself and leave him before that?
    I wouldn't judge stories based on solicitations, they tend to be misleading. The solicits made it seem like Duke was going to play a major role in the Detective comics run that set this series up; immediately got blown up and sidelined the entire arc. Hell, they hit on this same "Trust Batman?" angle too and I don't think that even came up in there either.

That being said, I would like for the team to step away from Batman and just be The Outsiders at some point.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-17-2018 at 08:39 AM.

currently following:

Extraordinary Member

Honestly I find it more questionable that they put teenagers that still need someone to teach/train them on a "black-ops team". But the problem of having charcters on the team that don't really fit to the black-ops part is not exactly a new one when it comes to the Outsiders.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Honestly I find it more questionable that they put teenagers that still need someone to teach/train them on a "black-ops team". But the problem of having charcters on the team that don't really fit to the black-ops part is not exactly a new one when it comes to the Outsiders.
    I mean, Cass has been on the team before, though I think she was closer to 19 instead of the 15-17 range we have now.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I mean, Cass has been on the team before, though I think she was closer to 19 instead of the 15-17 range we have now.
    It's not only the age, Cass was back than allready Batgirl for quite some time (and if you don't ignore the OYL-Nonsense actually lead a part of the League of Assassins), and much more adjusted to a normal life.
    The current Cass an the other hand, was iirc at the end of Tynions Run put under the care of Barbara and Leslie Tompkins, because they came to the conclusion that she needs some kind of normal life outside of beeing on a team.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    It's not only the age, Cass was back than allready Batgirl for quite some time (and if you don't ignore the OYL-Nonsense actually lead a part of the League of Assassins), and much more adjusted to a normal life.
    The current Cass an the other hand, was iirc at the end of Tynions Run put under the care of Barbara and Leslie Tompkins, because they came to the conclusion that she needs some kind of normal life outside of beeing on a team.
    I don't follow what you're saying. The Cass who joined the Outsiders had just returned from her "evil" arc, shaking off mind control and such, so I would imagine that she's just as mentally and emotionally disrupted as current Cass.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

The cover for Batman and the Outsiders #2

I don't know if the girl is supposed to be her (I'm thinking it is) but what do you think is the likelihood of Sofia Barrera joining the Outsiders after this first arc?

currently following:

BANNED

We really know nothing to even speculate.