Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Professor Galen: What are you doing at this very moment? A study mission! You're like some Roman centurion out patrolling the provinces, maintaining a dull and bloated Empire.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard: We both know that's not true.

Professor Galen: I know this: I know that as a scholar, you're nothing but a dilettante.

I was never a fan of how much Johns emphasized the "cop" part of being a GL - as though they were just walking a beat. Each GL patrols an entire sector of space - each GL, armed with "the most powerful weapon in the universe" should be seen as the closest thing one could hope for in terms of an act of god who happens to be acting for your benefit. They're planet-savers and armada-busters, not "beat cops."

It seems that at least Morrison will be providing GL with the kind of challenges that are worthy of the mantle rather than fending off street level thugs with blasters.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I was never a fan of how much Johns emphasized the "cop" part of being a GL - as though they were just walking a beat. Each GL patrols an entire sector of space - each GL, armed with "the most powerful weapon in the universe" should be seen as the closest thing one could hope for in terms of an act of god who happens to be acting for your benefit. They're planet-savers and armada-busters, not "beat cops."

It seems that at least Morrison will be providing GL with the kind of challenges that are worthy of the mantle rather than fending off street level thugs with blasters.
    Lol Johns didn’t emphasize the cop aspect at all. Under him the GLC became soldiers in the War of Light, they haven’t been cops ever since then. Morrison looks set to explore what law enforcement for a universe looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Lol Johns didn’t emphasize the cop aspect at all. Under him the GLC became soldiers in the War of Light, they haven’t been cops ever since then. Morrison looks set to explore what law enforcement for a universe looks like.
    I disagree. Johns introduced having two GL's per sector so that they'd have a partner, he had Hal say describe himself on several occasions as a "beat cop" (I can try to look it up if nobody else recalls this), he emphasized "precinct" houses and in general threw in a lot more "cop lingo." You're right though that in practice they ended up more like soldiers, but they took on a lot more of a cop attitude under Johns.

can't wait for morrison to tackle how the corps has jurisdiction over a planet whose government has different values than that of the corps.

it's going to be trippy.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    can't wait for morrison to tackle how the corps has jurisdiction over a planet whose government has different values than that of the corps.

it's going to be trippy.
    I'd like to see a planet or inter-planetary or -stellar civilization tell Hal, the Corps, or the Guardians that they have no recognized, acknowledged, or legal authority whatsoever and to go screw themselves, WITHOUT being depicted as being evil, decadent, fascist, corrupt, etc. Not because I'm particularly libertarian, anti-government, or anti-authority, but because, well, who the hell are the Guardians to set themselves up as The Police Force of the Universe?

I mean, if you want to avoid the GLs coming across as fascist thugs, emphasizing they are cops with all the bureaucracy and accountability that entails is for the best. After all, thinking of himself as more than that is how we got Sinestro and Parallax Hal.

BANNED

I dont see any inherent contradiction, Morrison never said that he's was going to have Hal solve petty murder cases. He said that he was over the whole concept of army and wars in favor of cosmic policing.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I can't not check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    I'd like to see a planet or inter-planetary or -stellar civilization tell Hal, the Corps, or the Guardians that they have no recognized, acknowledged, or legal authority whatsoever and to go screw themselves, WITHOUT being depicted as being evil, decadent, fascist, corrupt, etc. Not because I'm particularly libertarian, anti-government, or anti-authority, but because, well, who the hell are the Guardians to set themselves up as The Police Force of the Universe?
    exactly. btw, hasn't there been a start trek tng episode with the same premise?

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

This is the untapped juice in GLC stories.

Extraordinary Member

I disagree. Johns introduced having two GL's per sector so that they'd have a partner, he had Hal say describe himself on several occasions as a "beat cop" (I can try to look it up if nobody else recalls this), he emphasized "precinct" houses and in general threw in a lot more "cop lingo." You're right though that in practice they ended up more like soldiers, but they took on a lot more of a cop attitude under Johns.
    I recall scene where Hal said the glowing symbol on his chest was in fact the equivalent of a police siren.

I forgot the issue, but it was an early issue during Ivan Reis' run.

Extraordinary Member

That kinda might be case with the Vega System.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Back in the 90's you had L.E.G.I.O.N. having contracts with planets to protect them instead of the Lanterns which brought them into conflict a few times.

Does the DC universe even have planetary claims to open space zones, ala Star Trek?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.