Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: Invaders (2019)

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    That final page was more related to the upcoming event of Absolute Carnage, and it's not related to the main story itself.
    Thanks! I was wondering what the heck that was about.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I enjoyed it immensely, but it also benefitted from being a one-shot so that Roy Thomas didn't get too carried away with esoteric connections / references.

I would have loved getting the Ordway cover, but they only had the Ron Lim variant when I finally got to the comic book store this past Sunday to buy it.

I'm hoping I can get the Zircher cover. It actually has Namor on it, and it's clearly a homage to Gil Kane's work on the original Invaders covers.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    No, Tony is in the book, as shown in the preview. Warning, he's portrayed as somewhat ... well, I didn't find him ... sympathetic at all.
    All right. Thanks.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Just finished it and probably need to do more thinking about it, but ...

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Today's issue of Zdarsky's Invaders was... interesting. Some thoughts:

So "Machan/Tommy" is both a part of Namor, as he stated outright, AND acting independently from Namor's conscience. In essence, Xavier gave Namor DID (dissociative identity disorder) effectively creating a second personality within him, one who can act without Namor's main personality remembering. I'm wondering how far back this extends? Like, for example, who blew up the planet in Time Runs Out, Namor or Manchan?
    Well, this sort of answers Namor fans' complaints that "Namor wouldn't do that, because X." However, that doesn't mean I like it. I've never seen Namor as crazy, and I really don't like seeing him written like that. Namor is a belovedly flawed character, but he's also remarkably self aware, and introspective --- when he's not in the middle of an Imperius Rex! moment. Part of what I like about Namor is that he takes responsibilities for his flaws and mistakes. I'm really tired of seeing him being made a victim and NOT being responsible for his actions. I blame John Byrne for this mess with his awful theory of blood imbalance to 'fix' something didn't need fixing.

And speaking of things Namor would never do ... The Serpent Crown. Absolutely NOT. Plus, canonically, he's one of the few people who has been able to resist the crown and actually take it off. So, I'm guessing we have Namor being a victim yet again, and I think it's more to do with Roxxon or Mephisto. So, I'm guessing that Mephisto is more behind Machan than Xavier.

More later.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Why would Xavier do that to anyone, let alone Namor?
    I'm not reading the book(funds, you know) but following this thread so spoil away.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    That final page was more related to the upcoming event of Absolute Carnage, and it's not related to the main story itself.
    Thanks! Good to know!

So, I'm guessing that Mephisto is more behind Machan than Xavier.
    I agree. It's been implied (in Avengers) that Mephisto is behind pretty much everything, starting back with the Roxxon employees that killed the Atlanteans, and the vampire situation. So it wouldn't surprise me if he took what Xavier did and exasperated the situation ten-fold.

Anyone happen to know when the first trade comes out for this run of Invaders?
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Why would Xavier do that to anyone, let alone Namor?
    I'm not reading the book(funds, you know) but following this thread so spoil away.
    A very young, very green Xavier thought he was helping Namor deal with this WW2 PTSD and survivor's guilt...

RCO018_1554903860.jpg
    RCO019_1554903860.jpg

"Tommy" who later morphed into "Machan" in Namor's mind, was originally a soldier assigned to the Invaders. He died during the war and Namor felt guilt over his death. So Xavier thought he'd insert a manifestation of Tommy in Namor's mind from Namor's memories to serve as a counselor. Unfortunately Tommy gradually morphed into Machan, who is a psychopath and is now acting independently of Namor without Namor remembering.

...The psychopath part probably came from Mephisto.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    All right. Thanks.
    If it helps I have a sneaky suspicion that Tony is not acting on his own accord in this. His cry for war with Atlantis is eerily similar to the Russians in the UN meeting crying for war, and the Squadron Supreme craving it in the Avengers book. He's probably being influenced by Mephisto. Tony's pretty ooc in this and Zdarsky is far too good of a writer for that not to be intentional and a plot device.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 07-17-2019 at 12:13 PM.

I'm loving this book.
    INVADERS.jpg

I really would like to see a Cap & Red Guardian flashback scene by Butch Guice.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Just finished it and probably need to do more thinking about it, but ...

Well, this sort of answers Namor fans' complaints that "Namor wouldn't do that, because X." However, that doesn't mean I like it. I've never seen Namor as crazy, and I really don't like seeing him written like that. Namor is a belovedly flawed character, but he's also remarkably self aware, and introspective --- when he's not in the middle of an Imperius Rex! moment. Part of what I like about Namor is that he takes responsibilities for his flaws and mistakes. I'm really tired of seeing him being made a victim and NOT being responsible for his actions. I blame John Byrne for this mess with his awful theory of blood imbalance to 'fix' something didn't need fixing.

And speaking of things Namor would never do ... The Serpent Crown. Absolutely NOT. Plus, canonically, he's one of the few people who has been able to resist the crown and actually take it off. So, I'm guessing we have Namor being a victim yet again, and I think it's more to do with Roxxon or Mephisto. So, I'm guessing that Mephisto is more behind Machan than Xavier.

More later.
    As soon as I saw the serpent crown I immedditently knew that Namor would never ever willingly seek it out let alone use it after everything he has been through. I agree that Namor has not been present here as his usual self, I miss that Namor alot, and this victimized version of him works for the story that chip wants to tell but I will be so glad when Namor gets back to his normal self. As for Bryne, *sigh* that always comes back to bite us, I really think that his whole Namor has mental issues, was badly written. Yes, Namor suffers from mental issues, ptsd etc. however no one actually seems to care about it unless he "goes over the edge" they keep using it as a way to let Namor do bad things then blame it on his issues. The thing about Namor is, he will totally own up and take responsibility for his actions. I am just ready for real Namor to snap out of this.

The Serpent Crown now has me thinking that maybe Set is behind Machan's mental strength? trying to worm his way into Namor's head for years all as a set up to get back into power. It would make sense if Set was playing a long game and targeting Namor first to weaken him.

Last edited by ImperiusWrecked; 07-17-2019 at 11:30 AM.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

OK so before reading this issue, my biggest worry was that Tony would reprogram Jim into a weapon to be used against the Invaders and Namor, but what he did imo, is so much worse. Jim Hammond has always fought against people who wanted to use him as a weapon, and tried so hard to be a good man and a human. That Tony gave him an iron man body is sickening. It strips him of his humanity and brands him as an extension of Tony. I just really hate this and at this point I have absolutely no desire to ever see Tony again. Sorry not sorry but Jim is one of my all time favorite characters and Tony not repairing his old body and just slapping a fire symbol on a iron man robot has me done with Tony's character.

I just have to say that Toro and Jim deserve another series, I love them so much and I'm really happy we at least got a good reunion hug in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I just have to say that Toro and Jim deserve another series, I love them so much and I'm really happy we at least got a good reunion hug in the past.

This is is one of my favorite scenes in this run. So sweet. Loved it!