Page 22 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Invaders (2019)

I think Marvel should experiment more with backups if this book gets cancelled. Maybe start doing short Invaders backups in Captain America, or Avengers, or if Submariner gets another series maybe there.

That way they can keep seeding the story and reinforce their importance as a legacy team.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I think Marvel should experiment more with backups if this book gets cancelled. Maybe start doing short Invaders backups in Captain America, or Avengers, or if Submariner gets another series maybe there.

That way they can keep seeding the story and reinforce their importance as a legacy team.
    I was thinking maybe they could do a second Captain America book which could operate essentially as a stealth Invaders book.

Or maybe a Secret Avengers book with Cap, Winter Soldier, and Hammond which again would operate as a stealth Invaders book.

As much as I love the Invaders, I don't think as of now it can sustain an on-going. I think they need to sort of backdoor them somehow into sticking around.

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I was thinking maybe they could do a second Captain America book which could operate essentially as a stealth Invaders book.

Or maybe a Secret Avengers book with Cap, Winter Soldier, and Hammond which again would operate as a stealth Invaders book.

As much as I love the Invaders, I don't think as of now it can sustain an on-going. I think they need to sort of backdoor them somehow into sticking around.
    I mean, I'm still hoping this book will muscle through and stick around. I like the writer and I absolutely love his characterizations, and consider the book one of the best that's out right now, but, having said that, these ideas are all very sound and excellent ideas. In the very least they solve the problem of Marvel's continuous mistake of telling instead of showing. And what I mean by that is that by dropping an Invaders book out of the blue with little build up, they're telling new/unfamiliar-to-the-backstory readers that 'yeah, these guys have been brothers since WW2, they've taken dozens of bullets for one another and they really would do almost anything for one another, trust us, I mean, I know we haven't had any reference to that at all lately, but would we lie to you? So buy this team book, please.' Instead of showing them how great this team is and how strong their bond through multiple sources gradually over time, then releasing the team book.

Steve is on the Avengers. As such he had one of his closest 21st century friends, Tony Stark, pleading with him not to leave the Avengers compound to see what was up with Namor. If Marvel had spent more time actually showing Steve and Namor's relationship post-Secret Empire, and just how deep that bond goes, even when they're fighting each other, that scene would have had way, way more emotional impact on newer readers. That's the kind of thing I mean. Those who are new to the Invaders need to be shown, not told, why Steve would easily drop everything, including abandoning his new team during a very busy time (Vampire situation/Atlantis situation), to save Namor without even thinking twice about it. Though Zdarsky, bless his heart, is doing his best to make the Invaders book carry that weight of Marvel's neglect in that regard with those awesome flashback scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    I mean, I'm still hoping this book will muscle through and stick around. I like the writer and I absolutely love his characterizations, and consider the book one of the best that's out right now, but, having said that, these ideas are all very sound and excellent ideas. In the very least they solve the problem of Marvel's continuous mistake of telling instead of showing. And what I mean by that is that by dropping an Invaders book out of the blue with little build up, they're telling new/unfamiliar-to-the-backstory readers that 'yeah, these guys have been brothers since WW2, they've taken dozens of bullets for one another and they really would do almost anything for one another, trust us, I mean, I know we haven't had any reference to that at all lately, but would we lie to you? So buy this team book, please.' Instead of showing them how great this team is and how strong their bond through multiple sources gradually over time, then releasing the team book.

Steve is on the Avengers. As such he had one of his closest 21st century friends, Tony Stark, pleading with him not to leave the Avengers compound to see what was up with Namor. If Marvel had spent more time actually showing Steve and Namor's relationship post-Secret Empire, and just how deep that bond goes, even when they're fighting each other, that scene would have had way, way more emotional impact on newer readers. That's the kind of thing I mean. Those who are new to the Invaders need to be shown, not told, why Steve would easily drop everything, including abandoning his new team during a very busy time (Vampire situation/Atlantis situation), to save Namor without even thinking twice about it. Though Zdarsky, bless his heart, is doing his best to make the Invaders book carry that weight of Marvel's neglect in that regard with those awesome flashback scenes.
    Yeah, I'm really hoping this book manages to defy the odds and stick around. It's doing a better job capturing raw emotion than any book on the market right now.

Apparently Marvel is 'overshipping' Invaders #3 and Daredevil #3 to try and boost numbers (they give CBS an additional 50% of what they ordered for free in the hopes that the retailers will either sell more than the retailers thought they could or the CBS can give away the issues for free in order to get new readers hooked on the title).

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/03...vel-overships/

Here's hoping it works! What this tells me is that Marvel has faith in both titles (as they should, both are excellent). This also tells me that they're not willing to give up on Invaders just yet, so that's good news.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 03-21-2019 at 03:43 PM.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Apparently Marvel is 'overshipping' Invaders #3 and Daredevil #3 to try and boost numbers (they give CBS an additional 50% of what they ordered for free in the hopes that the retailers will either sell more than the retailers thought they could or the CBS can give away the issues for free in order to get new readers hooked on the title).

Here's hoping it works! What this tells me is that Marvel has faith in both titles (as they should, both are excellent). This also tells me that they're not willing to give up on Invaders just yet, so that's good news.
    I really hope so! I don;t want them to quit on Invaders after only 6 issues. Also Zdarsky is writing both series and I think today or yesterday they released that life of spider-man comic that he wrote, still don't know if everyone liked it or not but he seems to be their go to guy and they might be trying to support his books more, which could mean way more Invaders that I thought they would do.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I really hope so! I don;t want them to quit on Invaders after only 6 issues. Also Zdarsky is writing both series and I think today or yesterday they released that life of spider-man comic that he wrote, still don't know if everyone liked it or not but he seems to be their go to guy and they might be trying to support his books more, which could mean way more Invaders that I thought they would do.
    The Life of Spider-Man was SO GOOD. It really was amazing. And I'm not just saying that because Steve was awesome in it (though it certainly helped ). Yeah, they do seem to be highlighting Zdarsky, which, fine by me, he's quickly becoming my favorite writer at Marvel. And I completely agree, I now have more hope that we're in for a long Invaders run.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Just makes me wish Marvel would have done a better job of advertising these books in the first place :/

Invaders #3 preview...

INVADERS.jpg
    INVADERS-2.jpg
    INVADERS-3.jpg
    Last edited by capandkirby; 03-22-2019 at 10:54 AM.

...more Invaders #3 preview...

INVADERS-4.jpg
    INVADERS-5.jpg

Jesus, poor Steve can't get a break. He's being yelled at by literally everybody.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 03-22-2019 at 10:55 AM.

Fixed the quality of the images, so hopefully text can be read now. Also, link to the site that posted them here.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 03-22-2019 at 11:06 AM.

...more Invaders #3 preview...

INVADERS-4.jpg
    INVADERS-5.jpg

Jesus, poor Steve can't get a break. He's being yelled at by literally everybody.
    I sometimes think with Bucky, Steve should have taken the code name Captain Distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I sometimes think with Bucky, Steve should have taken the code name Captain Distraction.
    LOL, seems fitting.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

YESSSS! Finally! Thanks for posting these!

To be expected, when he attempts to get in the middle of a fight between Namor and Tony Stark. ;p

I can't believe that Navy guy was attempting to lay hands on Cap!! WTF?

I wasn't expecting the confrontation, and defense, about HydraCap. A nice shared universe, things have consequences, touch by Zdarsky. What happened to Jim Hammond in those scenes? He doesn't get roped into the USO stuff. And always nice to see to see Bucky in action.

As for the rest, they hypocrisy is getting pretty deep on those pages. You'd think Tony Stark would have learned something, or at least felt SOME ... I don't know, contrition or debt to be paid after what he did to the Atlanteans in Civil War.

I am curious about Steve's waffling on his 'friendship' with Namor. He's back to past tense in these pages.

I am sad that we won't be getting any lovely Guice flashbacks this issue.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Honestly, Steve has had his abundance of crappy, crappy years, but this one has to take the cake. Even more than that time he was shot with magic bullets and had to relive a warped version of "this is your life, Steve Rogers, and for extra fun, here, relive your mother's death and some overtly traumatizing battles from WW2 for sh#ts and giggles".

I mean, the world distrusts him, he was imprisoned for a murder he didn't commit, the Lukin's are trying to destroy his brand (and the country, can't forget that one), his evil counter-part is on the loose (albeit now extra crispy), he's getting yelled at by Tony, yelled at by angry Admiral Janeway, yelled at by random red shirt #35, and one of his BFFs from WW2 has lost it, and that's just a Tuesday for the poor guy.