Page 27 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Invaders (2019)

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Yeah, it's got to the point where I just completely avoid anything X-Men related entirely because I just do not like and can't handle how that fandom treats Steve. I can't even rewatch the movies anymore, let alone muster any desire to read a comic of theirs. The ONLY X-Men book I'm reading right now is Domino: Hot-Shots. And that one for multiple reasons, one is it's an all female team, so yes, please on that. And two because Rachel Leighton (Diamondback) is in it, and I've always liked her. Nat is in it, as well, and the Black Widow comic is also on my pull list.

Kudos on you for being able to walk that line between the two fandoms, you have a stronger stomach than I. Agree with you on fan-wars. They are lame, immature and ridiculous.
    The only way to enjoy comics and be in the comic fandom is to ignore a lot of immature fans, lol. I mainly read X-Men for Nightcrawler these days, and I just wish Taylor have given even a MOMENT of character development between Kurt and Namor since both of them speak german, then we could have had a scene in x-men red where they became friends or just talked together. *sigh* A missed opportunity, but anyways I enjoy Namor with the Invaders far more.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    The only way to enjoy comics and be in the comic fandom is to ignore a lot of immature fans, lol. I mainly read X-Men for Nightcrawler these days, and I just wish Taylor have given even a MOMENT of character development between Kurt and Namor since both of them speak german, then we could have had a scene in x-men red where they became friends or just talked together. *sigh* A missed opportunity, but anyways I enjoy Namor with the Invaders far more.
    That does sound like a missed opportunity. It's a shame. I've said it before and I know people are tired of hearing it but the best way to get readers emotionally involved with a character is through their interactions with other characters. It's how a character responds to others, and how others respond to them that an audience gains empathy, because mankind is a social creature and we can understand laughter, or sadness, or joy, and usually how fictional characters display these things is through their interactions with those around them. To give an example: Spock's death in Wrath of Khan was ten times more poignant and sad because of how KIRK responded to it. How he couldn't even stand up, how he touched Spock's hand on the opposite side of the glass, how his face just fell. In that moment, the audience is Kirk: grieving. Marvel could develop a much larger and more solid Namor fanbase if they let him laugh and love and be sad around people, instead of putting him in a group like the Illuminati where everyone hates each other.

I mean, Marvel USED to get this concept. The Fallen Son comic was the most emotionally devastating thing I've read. I legit cried for Steve, but Steve wasn't even in it. Steve was dead (well, not really, but at that moment we all thought he was). It was everyone else's reactions to Steve dying that made it so poignant. I don't know why the current crop of writers have lost sight of this. You want the audience to love a character, show other characters loving them! Show them loving those other characters right back! That's how you do it!

I feel that Zdarsky is doing that with the Invaders so hopefully it starts a new/old trend! I mean, the sight of Namor in tears and mourning in that last issue, probably softened a lot of hearts towards him.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 04-05-2019 at 01:11 PM.

Wait, so how many times has he had amnesia then?

Also, I can't seem to remember how Atlantis was destroyed in the 40s. I know it was mistakenly bombed by Namor's father's ice breaker in Antarctica. Is it even that same Atlantis? I know there has never been a pinned down location for Atlantis, but do we know how many different version of the city there have been? How many times it's been destroyed?

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post

Also, I can't seem to remember how Atlantis was destroyed in the 40s. I know it was mistakenly bombed by Namor's father's ice breaker in Antarctica. Is it even that same Atlantis? I know there has never been a pinned down location for Atlantis, but do we know how many different version of the city there have been? How many times it's been destroyed?
    I know of at least three ... and I think there might have been a fourth.

1) Namor had amnesia when Johnny Storm found him in the Bowery -- his famous intro into the Silver Age.

2) Namor had amnesia after Tigershark and Llyra murdered his father in front of him, back in Sub-Mariner 47, IIRC. He took up with a gal named Cindy for an issue, before falling into the clutches of Doctor Doom. When Everett took over with Sub-Mariner 50, he was starting to remember.

3) Namor had amnesia in the 90s run, when Jae Lee took over the art. Wasn't it Master Khan's doing then? Oddly, he also falls into the clutches of Doctor Doom while his memory is shot! hmmmmm

I'd say Atlantis has been destroyed countless times by ... expletive deleted writers, but I'm sure there is a real number. I just haven't sat down and counted.

Atlantis in the 40s and 50s was Everett's Antarctic Atlantis. IIRC, it was attacked or bombed by the Nazis. I think it was 'finally' destroyed by Destiny after he gave Namor amnesia. That's why Namor's people were "wandering" when he recovered his memory with Johnny Storm. WHEN that happened, is something I contend should be part of the sliding timeline. Of course, this is complicated by the fact that Namor says Atlantis was destroyed by atomic testing in FF #4, IIRC. And he was able to swim to that site and back to NYC in minutes / hours? Johnny was still waiting for him on the dock, remember?

Atlantis during Namor's Silver / Bronze Age book wasn't in Antarctica, but in the middle or North Atlantic, presumably back on the ruins of Pre-Cataclymic Atlantis.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

LOL, Namor has had amnesia on and off a few times. As for a count of how many times Atlantis has been destroyed it's probably easier to count how many times it hasn't been totaled. I mean every time it shows up in comic recently it's being blown to kingdom come. Let me think just off the top of my head and I could be wrong but:

Namor Amnesia:

- Marvel Comic Presents
    - Namor and the villain Destiny explained why he was an amnesic when Johnny storm meets him (early i think in his 1968 series or the iron man vs namor comic?)
    - Later in the same 1968 series Namor had amnesia for a time, I believe it was after his father died, which happened after Lady Dorma died.
    - Namor in his 1990 series had amnesia at the start of the savage sub-mariner time
    - he also wasn't mentally stable at the start of that 1990 series when he meets Carrie
    - Once in a marvel team up with Doctor strange Namor forgot time? Anyways he thought he was still in the war and not the present day.

Atlantis being destroyed:

- Namor's father destroys atlantis
    - Sub-mariner 2007 series namor destroys atlantis
    - avengers 2018 again atlantis is destroyed
    - llyra and the Atlantis rising event 1990s
    - Hyperion destroyed atlantis in 2016 Squadron Supreme
    - New Atlantis with the mutants was destroyed after AVX/Utopia had fallen
    - Also when it was destroyed before Namor had amnesia the first time around before being found by johnny
    - OH and also in the Young Namor series Atlantis was made unlivable by the oil in the water

I know I am totally forgetting more times but this was I could recall right now. Also Atlantis was never called that in the early days but it was later, and they keep moving the capital city around because it keeps being destroyed. There have also been cities called Oceanus, where Namor set up for a time. SO yeah, Marvel loves to keep blowing up Atlantis, like all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    That does sound like a missed opportunity. It's a shame. I've said it before and I know people are tired of hearing it but the best way to get readers emotionally involved with a character is through their interactions with other characters. It's how a character responds to others, and how others respond to them that an audience gains empathy, because mankind is a social creature and we can understand laughter, or sadness, or joy, and usually how fictional characters display these things is through their interactions with those around them. To give an example: Spock's death in Wrath of Khan was ten times more poignant and sad because of how KIRK responded to it. How he couldn't even stand up, how he touched Spock's hand on the opposite side of the glass, how his face just fell. In that moment, the audience is Kirk: grieving. Marvel could develop a much larger and more solid Namor fanbase if they let him laugh and love and be sad around people, instead of putting him in a group like the Illuminati where everyone hates each other.

I mean, Marvel USED to get this concept. The Fallen Son comic was the most emotionally devastating thing I've read. I legit cried for Steve, but Steve wasn't even in it. Steve was dead (well, not really, but at that moment we all thought he was). It was everyone else's reactions to Steve dying that made it so poignant. I don't know why the current crop of writers have lost sight of this. You want the audience to love a character, show other characters loving them! Show them loving those other characters right back! That's how you do it!

I feel that Zdarsky is doing that with the Invaders so hopefully it starts a new/old trend! I mean, the sight of Namor in tears and mourning in that last issue, probably softened a lot of hearts towards him.
    I agree, seeing now that Namor and Randall were friends and he was a close family friend it makes more sense for why Namor was so distraught at his death. Zdarsky just made another tweet saying to check out next week's comic for the secret life of Namor and I can't wait to see what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I know of at least three ... and I think there might have been a fourth.

1) Namor had amnesia when Johnny Storm found him in the Bowery -- his famous intro into the Silver Age.

2) Namor had amnesia after Tigershark and Llyra murdered his father in front of him, back in Sub-Mariner 47, IIRC. He took up with a gal named Cindy for an issue, before falling into the clutches of Doctor Doom. When Everett took over with Sub-Mariner 50, he was starting to remember.

3) Namor had amnesia in the 90s run, when Jae Lee took over the art. Wasn't it Master Khan's doing then? Oddly, he also falls into the clutches of Doctor Doom while his memory is shot! hmmmmm

I'd say Atlantis has been destroyed countless times by ... expletive deleted writers, but I'm sure there is a real number. I just haven't sat down and counted.

Atlantis in the 40s and 50s was Everett's Antarctic Atlantis. IIRC, it was attacked or bombed by the Nazis. I think it was 'finally' destroyed by Destiny after he gave Namor amnesia. That's why Namor's people were "wandering" when he recovered his memory with Johnny Storm. WHEN that happened, is something I contend should be part of the sliding timeline. Of course, this is complicated by the fact that Namor says Atlantis was destroyed by atomic testing in FF #4, IIRC. And he was able to swim to that site and back to NYC in minutes / hours? Johnny was still waiting for him on the dock, remember?

Atlantis during Namor's Silver / Bronze Age book wasn't in Antarctica, but in the middle or North Atlantic, presumably back on the ruins of Pre-Cataclymic Atlantis.
    Wait so if we count it then before Namor is found by Johnny Atlantis (or his city since it wasnt Atlantis then) was destroyed or damaged four times?

- Namor's dad setting off explosives
    - Nazis
    - Bomb testing in the water
    - Destiny

That's a lot of destruction, and a lot of Atlantisesses..

LOL, Namor has had amnesia on and off a few times. As for a count of how many times Atlantis has been destroyed it's probably easier to count how many times it hasn't been totaled. I mean every time it shows up in comic recently it's being blown to kingdom come. Let me think just off the top of my head and I could be wrong but:

Namor Amnesia:

- Marvel Comic Presents
    - Namor and the villain Destiny explained why he was an amnesic when Johnny storm meets him (early i think in his 1968 series or the iron man vs namor comic?)
    - Later in the same 1968 series Namor had amnesia for a time, I believe it was after his father died, which happened after Lady Dorma died.
    - Namor in his 1990 series had amnesia at the start of the savage sub-mariner time
    - he also wasn't mentally stable at the start of that 1990 series when he meets Carrie
    - Once in a marvel team up with Doctor strange Namor forgot time? Anyways he thought he was still in the war and not the present day.
    I think that last bit Dr. Strange was a spell, wasn't it?

Atlantis being destroyed:

- Namor's father destroys atlantis
    - Sub-mariner 2007 series namor destroys atlantis
    - avengers 2018 again atlantis is destroyed
    - llyra and the Atlantis rising event 1990s
    - Hyperion destroyed atlantis in 2016 Squadron Supreme
    - New Atlantis with the mutants was destroyed after AVX/Utopia had fallen
    - Also when it was destroyed before Namor had amnesia the first time around before being found by johnny
    - OH and also in the Young Namor series Atlantis was made unlivable by the oil in the water

I know I am totally forgetting more times but this was I could recall right now. Also Atlantis was never called that in the early days but it was later, and they keep moving the capital city around because it keeps being destroyed. There have also been cities called Oceanus, where Namor set up for a time. SO yeah, Marvel loves to keep blowing up Atlantis, like all the time.
    It's was Morgan Le Fey in Atlantis Rising. Though Llyron takes 'advantage' of that.

I'm not sure if it counts, but during Fear Itself, I don't think Atlantis was destroyed, but conquered by Nekkod and his allies.

You left out the Wakandan attack. So, at least FIVE times since 2007? So, like every TWO YEARS. Ridiculous.

In the 70s, there was the chemical dumping "cloud" that put all the Atlanteans in a coma -- which I guess technically doesn't count as destroying the city, but was where Neptune talked about Atlantis being destroyed.

There was the Deluvia stuff.

Of course, there's the first destruction of Hyborian Atlantis.

And then the implied, but never documented, destruction of Kamuu's mid-Atlantic Atlantis, when the Atlanteans moved to South Pole.

Wait so if we count it then before Namor is found by Johnny Atlantis (or his city since it wasnt Atlantis then) was destroyed or damaged four times?

- Namor's dad setting off explosives
    - Nazis
    - Bomb testing in the water
    - Destiny
    Did the Oracle's ice breaking actually destroy Atlantis? I know it caused damage and killed people.

Same with the Nazis. I'm not entirely sure.

In FF 4, Atlantis was destroyed by atomic testing. However, according to this LINK, they say it was retconned / changed to an outpost of Atlantis. And those same issues retconned Antarctic Atlantis being destroyed by Destiny.

That's a lot of destruction, and a lot of Atlantisesses..
    You think? ;p
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I think that last bit Dr. Strange was a spell, wasn't it?

It's was Morgan Le Fey in Atlantis Rising. Though Llyron takes 'advantage' of that.

I'm not sure if it counts, but during Fear Itself, I don't think Atlantis was destroyed, but conquered by Nekkod and his allies.

You left out the Wakandan attack. So, at least FIVE times since 2007? So, like every TWO YEARS. Ridiculous.

In the 70s, there was the chemical dumping "cloud" that put all the Atlanteans in a coma -- which I guess technically doesn't count as destroying the city, but was where Neptune talked about Atlantis being destroyed.

There was the Deluvia stuff.

Of course, there's the first destruction of Hyborian Atlantis.

And then the implied, but never documented, destruction of Kamuu's mid-Atlantic Atlantis, when the Atlanteans moved to South Pole.

Did the Oracle's ice breaking actually destroy Atlantis? I know it caused damage and killed people.

Same with the Nazis. I'm not entirely sure.

In FF 4, Atlantis was destroyed by atomic testing. However, according to this LINK, they say it was retconned / changed to an outpost of Atlantis. And those same issues retconned Antarctic Atlantis being destroyed by Destiny.

You think? ;p
    The Oracle did hurt some people and buildings but I don't think Atlantis was fully destroyed at the time? IIRC the Doctor Strange Team up, he put a spell to help Namor after he was going crazy, like he was the one who helped him become sane again? I have to look it up again. But man, Namor has gotten so many Amnesia storylines, lol. Also yeah! I DID forget the Wakanda attack! so there is another time that Atlantis was destroyed.

Rev, that little nod to Everett you pointed out? I wrote a tweet about it, and Zdarsky replied saying he loved it too and that it was Butch who did that! I found that was very awesome! Link

Mighty Member

Came across this video this morning. Before they became the Invaders they were the Atlas distribution heroes of Timely Comics. Didn't know that Captain America, Namor and the Human Torch almost ended up as part of the DC Universe. This interesting video details that story.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeQfZPyVLms

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Came across this video this morning. Before they became the Invaders they were the Atlas distribution heroes of Timely Comics. Didn't know that Captain America, Namor and the Human Torch almost ended up as part of the DC Universe. This interesting video details that story.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeQfZPyVLms
    Cool video, Thor-El! Thanks for posting. I didn't know about the offer to buy the characters, but I knew Marvel was in some financial straits and that they were forced to use a distributor owned by DC and that limited the number of titles they could put out.

I don't know exactly how that would have worked out. I get the feeling that they might have buried the characters, especially Namor. I mean, they didn't immediately start publishing Captain Marvel / Shazam after they got their hands on him, did they?

Rev, that little nod to Everett you pointed out? I wrote a tweet about it, and Zdarsky replied saying he loved it too and that it was Butch who did that! I found that was very awesome! Link

That's cool! I would have thought it was Zdarsky's idea, but it's nice to know Guice is enough of a fan to add it.

Mighty Member

Cool video, Thor-El! Thanks for posting. I didn't know about the offer to buy the characters, but I knew Marvel was in some financial straits and that they were forced to use a distributor owned by DC and that limited the number of titles they could put out.

I don't know exactly how that would have worked out. I get the feeling that they might have buried the characters, especially Namor. I mean, they didn't immediately start publishing Captain Marvel / Shazam after they got their hands on him, did they?
    Yes, its also interesting that when the characters were relaunched the first time by Timely Captain America's title only lasted two issues while Namor lasted a bit longer. Proof of the higher popularity of Namor at that time.