Page 38 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: Invaders (2019)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I did for a second before the reveal. There's also an Aquaman story (I think it was called American Tidal) that has a similar premise of people turning into Atlanteans. Although it's not the concept it's what one does with it that matters. It feels that Namor has quite possibly gone too far here.
    It was American Tidal (2003 - 2007). It kicked off with a massive earthquake that hit San Diego. A huge portion of it sunk into the ocean and was subsequently dubbed "Sub Diego." Initially, they thought everyone drowned. But when they went to recover the bodies, it was revealed that thousands were able to breathe underwater.

Like the current storyline in Invaders, it involved a chemical being used to mutate humans into water-breathers (a scientist developed it for the purpose of allowing people to survive if the polar caps were devastated by global warming.) It was never meant to be used. But when the earthquake hit, the facility plunged into the sea and the chemical was mixed into the saltwater where it rapidly mutated.

It just goes to show, with Marvel, it’s never as bad as you think at the cliff-hanger last issue. When this issue comes out, Namor didn’t set off three Nukes, but chemical weapons changing Earthers into blue Atlanteans, and then protecting them by flooding them with sea water. And Jim Hammond isn’t dead. Tony Stark is working on him, and Jim is another form of the Vision, and we know the Vision self-repairs. Both Namor and Jim have now been beheaded, so...

I think this all has something to do with Tommy, because Tommy appears in flashback here, and suggests they have to do something after WWII. Namor says he’ll fix the world, so, whoever is controlling Namor, (and it is in the form of Machin), is suggesting this attack to Namor. But I can’t see any purpose to this attack, except from a sea-people Stand-point, but it’s very vague. You have to consider Roman, Na, and Stephenson were long-game participants in this too. This was not a sper-of-the-moment plan. This has been going on since Roman became a Naval officer, and now he is a top ranking officer. It’s like we’ll learn later that Tommy had discovered something about the god whisperer and had Namor concoct a long-term plan on Tommy’s anniversary 50 years later? It reminds me of the Red Skulls Final Sentinel that Steve Rogers had a triggered memory the Sentinel would erupt from the ground and attack on the 25th anniversary after the War. This thing with Namor feels like the same thing.
    Last edited by jackolover; 06-15-2019 at 06:58 PM.

Looks like Tony was right. Namor should have been stopped. Namor has crossed a line with those bombs. It's quite a bit like what the Inhumans did. Cap has to realize that Namor is a king first and a teammate and friend a distant second. His people's fate will always come before anything else. Even if he has to do despicable things to ensure it.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 06-16-2019 at 01:59 AM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    They weren't targeting a group at all. They actually didn't kill the person who tried to stop it since the person who tried to stop it was Emma Frost who is still alive.

Did Namor work on this serum for years? Is this some previous story or something I missed here?
    Not at the beginning, but soon they were conscious that they were affecting a group and they didn't care, until too late when the group was already screwed. And just because Emma tricked them with a mental illusion, doesn't make their actions better or excusable at all. They were affecting a group and when requested to put down their chemical weapon instead of help or caring, they got enraged and resort to killing, putting their experiment above the lives of others and condemned to death a person for the crime of not wanting his people to die. But again this is a discussion for other place.

About the serums not only is implied that this is a plan who has been in Namor mind for years, but also we have previous examples of serums who has been made to hel normal humans breathe on water, to make Atlanteans able to breathe air. I even remember a issue of Nick Fury when he takes a serum to infiltrate Atlantis who turns him blue, well in the same issue he infiltrates Atlantis (roll eyes) defeats Attuma (more roll eyes) and gets away with it.

So that kind of experiment is not really that new, making it a weapon to unwillingly affect others is the dark twist.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
    About the serums not only is implied that this is a plan who has been in Namor mind for years, but also we have previous examples of serums who has been made to hel normal humans breathe on water, to make Atlanteans able to breathe air. I even remember a issue of Nick Fury when he takes a serum to infiltrate Atlantis who turns him blue, well in the same issue he infiltrates Atlantis (roll eyes) defeats Attuma (more roll eyes) and gets away with it.

So that kind of experiment is not really that new, making it a weapon to unwillingly affect others is the dark twist.
    Which issue is that one with Fury? I don't read his comics, but I always thought of him as a master spy, still with how Marvel writers constantly write Namor and other water characters as weaker than surfacers when they should be stronger in water makes me roll my eyes too.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Which issue is that one with Fury? I don't read his comics, but I always thought of him as a master spy, still with how Marvel writers constantly write Namor and other water characters as weaker than surfacers when they should be stronger in water makes me roll my eyes too.
    From the mini Nick Fury #4 2017 (July?).

I also not really fan of the character, is nothing against him, he is a fine, is just that I can't follow the entire marvel universe, but when I see that Atlantis is related I can't just not peep a bit. Also I'm very curious about what happened with Attuma since that was his last apparition and then is stated that he is working with Namor to restore Atlantis to his past glory. I always thought that those two could have and interesting dynamic since Attuma is such breath hater jerk and Namor is just...Namor (and hate each other) but sadly never got continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
    From the mini Nick Fury #4 2017 (July?).

I also not really fan of the character, is nothing against him, he is a fine, is just that I can't follow the entire marvel universe, but when I see that Atlantis is related I can't just not peep a bit. Also I'm very curious about what happened with Attuma since that was his last apparition and then is stated that he is working with Namor to restore Atlantis to his past glory. I always thought that those two could have and interesting dynamic since Attuma is such breath hater jerk and Namor is just...Namor (and hate each other) but sadly never got continuity.
    thanks! I totally agree, im only peeking at major x for atlantis/namor stuff but i really cant follow every comic either. I really wish someone would pick up on that on thread, or just give us an update on whats going on with all of namor's old supporting cast and foes cause the way krang was handled in First Mutant was interesting, but I cant see that happening long term with Attuma, still seeing namor and attuma try to work together would have been very interesting. however unless namor gets his own comic solo, it very unlikely we will get anything.

Having recently caught up on this series by buying issues #5 & #6 last weekend, I really am thinking of giving up on this title.

For the flashback to WWII in issue #6, it really doesn't feel right having Whizzer and Miss America fighting in Germany back in 1943 (I'm more use to Whizzer and Miss America being stateside, while Union Jack and Spitfire fought along side the Invaders in Europe), and I'm definitely tired of crazy Namor.

Still figuring out if it would be worth it to give the "Dead in the Water" arc a chance or if I should just cut bait now.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    April sales figures are out. Not the best news, but Invaders is still doing better than several other Marvel titles. It doesn't appear to be leveling out in the 20K as I hoped, but I think it is leveling off.

# 48 Invaders 01.....36,462 +1000 2nd printing

# 86 Invaders 02.....19,772 + 2nd printing

# 49 Invaders 03.....33,465 (22,422 calculated actual ordered / #117 dollar ranking)

#114 Invaders 04.....16,460
    And for May 2019, the numbers from Diamond Distribution show:
    139th - Invaders #5 - 15,430 copies
    https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...9/2019-05.html

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Having recently caught up on this series by buying issues #5 & #6 last weekend, I really am thinking of giving up on this title.

For the flashback to WWII in issue #6, it really doesn't feel right having Whizzer and Miss America fighting in Germany back in 1943 (I'm more use to Whizzer and Miss America being stateside, while Union Jack and Spitfire fought along side the Invaders in Europe), and I'm definitely tired of crazy Namor.

Still figuring out if it would be worth it to give the "Dead in the Water" arc a chance or if I should just cut bait now.
    If you don't care for Zdarsky's 'crazy' Namor, then I wouldn't continue. The second arc may have more focus on the other Invaders, but it appears Namor will still be the antagonist. Which, as a Namor fan, who has ... been disappointed by the lack of Namor storylines / focus, I'm very happy to see rectified here.

I'm cool with the appearances of Whizzer and Miss America, but I do wish we'd see more of the British Invaders.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And for May 2019, the numbers from Diamond Distribution show:
    139th - Invaders #5 - 15,430 copies
    https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...9/2019-05.html
    Disappointing to say the least.

On the bright side, Bleeding Cool is reporting that Marvel is going to overship Invaders #7, the first issue of the new arc, by 100%! I really hope retailers take advantage of this and GIVE AWAY some issues. Especially to folks who are buying other Zdarsky books.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Previews for Captain America and the Invaders: Bahamas Triangle are up! Link Steve punching Nazis, no other Invaders shown in this preview but the comic isn't far off, I'll be glad when it comes out, while I do like that the focus is on Namor in the current Invaders ongoing I was hoping for something more than Namor is a 'mad king', I do really miss the old Namor and Invaders relationship where they weren't on opposite sides and they were fighting on the same side.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Previews for Captain America and the Invaders: Bahamas Triangle are up! Link Steve punching Nazis, no other Invaders shown in this preview but the comic isn't far off, I'll be glad when it comes out, while I do like that the focus is on Namor in the current Invaders ongoing I was hoping for something more than Namor is a 'mad king', I do really miss the old Namor and Invaders relationship where they weren't on opposite sides and they were fighting on the same side.

I'm really looking forward to this old school Roy Thomas Invaders! I love this cover by Zircher. Looks like he's channeling his inner Gil Kane, who also did a couple of Invaders covers.

I think it's hard to have the old Invaders relationship in a book that is set in the present. They all have baggage, their conflicting commitments, and have changed, since those days, especially Namor and Bucky. And of course, Steve is now dealing with the Secret Empire fallout.

Remember that line from AvX from Namor? The one where Phoenix Namor says something like, "who have thought we would look at those terrible days of war as the better times."

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I'm really looking forward to this old school Roy Thomas Invaders! I love this cover by Zircher. Looks like he's channeling his inner Gil Kane, who also did a couple of Invaders covers.

I think it's hard to have the old Invaders relationship in a book that is set in the present. They all have baggage, their conflicting commitments, and have changed, since those days, especially Namor and Bucky. And of course, Steve is now dealing with the Secret Empire fallout.

Remember that line from AvX from Namor? The one where Phoenix Namor says something like, "who have thought we would look at those terrible days of war as the better times."
    I love that cover the best!!!

I do remember it! New Avengers (2010) #29 it was a AvX flashback, It's one of my favorite Namor and Cap moments, its such a shame that was never explored in more detail, that Phoenix Namor and the trauma of a being made of fire taking over Namor (a character deeply connected to water) was not really explored for more than a few lines.

Yes! that's the panel! Of course, Namor is far more eloquent than I.