Page 47 of 52 FirstFirst ... 37434445464748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: Invaders (2019)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    Hey. So I wasn't following Invaders but got today's issue...

I may be off my head here, but is Zdarsky writing Namor as gay? The way the death of his war buddy crushed him and his moving in with that Peterson seemed a little HUH? to me
    I don't think he's making Namor gay, no. But you're not alone in wondering if there is some subtext going on. Its not impossible that he could be introducing a bisexual element to Namor...but I was wondering more about either Randall Peterson or Tommy Machan. Wartime can create strong bonds so there may not be anything to Randall bringing Namor into his family and naming his kids after him, but it does make me wonder. And although we never really got to know the real Tommy Machan very well, I do sometimes think I get a bit of a vibe off the alternate persona in Namor's head that is based off him.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Can't help but think that a lot of readers, after reading the end of this weeks issue, are wondering where the heck Ka-Zar is in all this.
    Drowned I hope. I don't want to offend Ka-zar fans but I still can't forgive the "I'm better than any atlantean in the bottom of the sea" yup, is not like people usually gets crushed under extreme deeps, should be unable to see without light or or would need, you know, breathe.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Oh I'm never forgetting what a load of bull that Ka-Zar thing was.
    Yup, neither I am.

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    Hey. So I wasn't following Invaders but got today's issue...

I may be off my head here, but is Zdarsky writing Namor as gay? The way the death of his war buddy crushed him and his moving in with that Peterson seemed a little HUH? to me
    Like someone who is a hugger and a bit attached to my friends, I feel a bit misunderstood seeing how people doesn't seem to understand that when you lacks familiar support, yes, you can get a bit overly attached to your friends, at the extent that their deaths can crush you as the death of any loved familiar. And sometimes you feel better living with friend who cares about you, that surrounded of people who makes you feel uncomfortable.

As I see it, Namor never has gotten acceptation in his realm, he is barely tolerated because he is strong enough to kill those who disrespect him, and yet he had has to face revolutions time to time since his people seems to accept any pretender over him. His biological family were frequently plotting to kill him and take the power to themselves or ashamed of him. Damn he was even some time exiled because his grandfather didn't wanted to see him, and her mother label him of a mistake and those were the only two people who actually cared for him until the introduction of Dorna and Namorita.

It's so unbelievable that he has gotten attached to those who accepted him and even show him respect and admiration? After years of being barely tolerated, a young man sees him as his hero but still, he lets that young man die. That should have crushed him. Xavier playing with his mind and never letting the wound heal certainly didn't help.

About living with Peterson, well he had two options a) return to the sea to be surrounded for responsibilities and deal with bunch of people who secretly disdain him in the best scenario and openly tried to kill him in the worst and certainly weren't going to help him, or b) live with people who cared for him, (really, this is something I can relate in a personal level) and were able to understand the pain he were feeling because they also were in the war, so understand the PTS that he was facing. I don't blame him for choosing B even if it didn't lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Namor fighting off the crown/Marchan's influence could explain almost everything about Namor in the 'modern' era. His attraction to women that he shouldn't be, but a lot of stuff.
    The crown seems to be a new element, but Marchan could be a much better explanation for Namor fits of rage than the "chemical unbalance because he is a hybrid"

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    August sales figures are out. 14,248. So it looks like Invaders has indeed leveled out around 14.5K +/-. Which puts it above several other books at the same issue number. It is not as high as I wish, but it is much better than others. Keeping my fingers crossed for a third arc!
    I cross my fingers too, let's hope that this numbres gets enough for the greedy directives.

Late to the party on this issue, but it was great to see Spitfire. I was hoping Zdarsky would be able to bring a bit of the story overseas to include her or Union Jack (or both!).

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    Late to the party on this issue, but it was great to see Spitfire. I was hoping Zdarsky would be able to bring a bit of the story overseas to include her or Union Jack (or both!).
    It was great to see her. That was one of the storylines (the British Invaders) that I wish Robinson had gotten to (along with Killraven) in his All New Invaders run. It also made me miss Paul Cornell's Captain Britain run.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I think there is another point to bring up. From a cultural perspective, how do we even know that Atlanteans have the same hang ups or thoughts / concerns over same sex/gender issues. Maybe they don't have the same way of relating to it?

When our country first invaded Iraq, those years ago, there was serious de-briefing of American soldiers as to what they would see. They were told that Middle Eastern and Muslim men are often very affectionate with each other in a way we might(our culture) see as accepting of homosexual behavior. Of course that is not the truth.

There are other cultures around the world where the stigmas attached to such friendly/overly friendly perspectives are not the same as ours.

Likewise, Atlantis would seem to be influenced by ancient Roman cultures or similar and they too had a different perspective.

Cancelled!

INVADERS #12
    CHIP ZDARSKY (W)
    CARLOS MAGNO & BUTCH GUICE (A)
    Cover by BUTCH GUICE
    It all ends here! Can NAMOR be redeemed as the world drowns? Or will THE SPEAR crush THE INVADERS and remake the world in their image?
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Cancelled!

INVADERS #12
    CHIP ZDARSKY (W)
    CARLOS MAGNO & BUTCH GUICE (A)
    Cover by BUTCH GUICE
    It all ends here! Can NAMOR be redeemed as the world drowns? Or will THE SPEAR crush THE INVADERS and remake the world in their image?
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
    Wow. You seem so happy about it.

Again, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is just the end of the ARC.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

This story has been great, but I've never been sure it was sustainable. Twelve issues is respectable. Either way, this story would have to retool if it didn't end.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Wow. You seem so happy about it.

I never said I was happy about it. And I don't think they'd say "it all ends here" if it wasn't the final issue.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

So long, sweet prince.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Noooooooooooooooooo
    "Cable was right!"

Namor is supposed to be showing up Immortal Hulk, around this time.

Considering how aligned their goals have been as of late, and the fact that Hulk's going after ROXXON, Namor should get some closure on that point.

Also, considering Ewing they might fight the Avengers again.

Well I have mixed feeling about it, one hand of course I wish Invaders will get published for a long time, but also I like when tales have intro-climax-conclusion structure, and doesn't get extended without sense so if the arc is well closed I would be at peace with it. I only will get disappointed if the end of the arc feels rushed and unnatural.

Of course always is there the possibility that "the end" refers to the end of the arc and not the end of the issues.

Was it actually an ongoing though ?

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Forgot to post it here but it is confirmed that Invader 12 is the last issue. It was an ongoing but marvel canceled it. They had said nothing about this being a limited series.
    Screenshot_20190919-155028_Twitter.jpg
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis