View Poll Results: How do you rate the episode?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

2 22.22%
  • B

4 44.44%
  • C

3 33.33%
  • D

0 0%
  • F

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Gifted: 2.04 outMatched Discussion (Spoilers)

Summary: "The Struckers, minus Andy, begin to rebuild their broken trust, while Thunderbird, Blink and Eclipse visit Wire, hoping to convince him to help again. But when they get there, they learn that something terrible has happened from Wire's brother, Graph. The team discovers that the Inner Circle is on the way to raid a mutant detention facility, so they make moves to try to intercept them. Meanwhile, Jace is contacted by a member of the Purifiers."

It looks like the most action packed and suspense filled episode of the season to date, but we will see, this thread has a poll attached to rate after viewing.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-16-2018 at 06:30 PM.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

"The Struckers, minus Andy, begin to rebuild their broken trust, while Thunderbird, Blink and Eclipse visit Wire, hoping to convince him to help again. But when they get there, they learn that something terrible has happened from Wire's brother, Graph. The team discovers that the Inner Circle is on the way to raid a mutant detention facility, so they make moves to try to intercept them. Meanwhile, Jace is contacted by a member of the Purifiers."

I prefer that description much more, it feels more impartial

Puts "the team" into context. Although the "so" in the "so they make moves" still bugs me. Like that doesn't necessarily follow they need to do that... meh.

Agreed this is the first more action oriented episode and we will find out more about the various characters abilities I guess, such as Andy vs Lauren or whoever battles Thunderbird and Blink (looks like Polaris but could be misleading edit)

What will I watch for?

1) Purifiers what are they like

2) What is the mission the Inner Circle undertakes like, does it seem to have a noble purpose attached, will there be massive "collateral damage" or not

3) How good are the emotional moments particularly during these confrontations

4) Slightly more specific but what are Polaris' mutant abilities like now that she is no longer pregnant, back to the weakness of season 1 or something different
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 10-16-2018 at 03:49 PM.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    ... 4) Slightly more specific but what are Polaris' mutant abilities like now that she is no longer pregnant, back to the weakness of season 1 or something different
    It doesn't appear so, and I hope not. Lookin' forward to her kickin' some major ass tonight, now that she's back in the field.

Amazing Member

I’m happy that they did away with the mutant siblings can’t harm each other thing for the comic. Always thought that was dumb. Also why are they not revealing Twist’s face? She’s an OC and doesn’t even have a cool look.

This show is so annoying.. Constant teases and way too light on the action. I wish we could get a CW-like show for X-Men characters. The Gifted and Legion are too ashamed to go full out comic.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

This episode did a lot better balancing character and action. Still want more action, but I appreciate the improvement. Do wish we could have gotten more from the Inner Circle, but I really enjoyed the darker aspects of the Underground. Nice to see the writers balancing things out.
    Last edited by Soulsword323; 10-16-2018 at 06:32 PM.

BANNED

Figured I'd save the mods time, and just post my RT thoughts all @ once:

Well, the way Caitlin's been about Andy makes more sense now. And damn, John takin' the damage, up close & personal like.

Clarice is really annoying me. Her deal with Erg seems to have had an adverse effect on her.

First half's been solid, but the second looks to be where all hell lets loose. Caitlin's desperation mode is scary, and conflicting, but I like it.

And I was right, now THAT was intense. Death & destruction everywhere, Mags gets a mention, Graph vs. Sage, and Andy casually shows his new attitude. Oh, and Caitlin's gone nuts.

Things just got serious. A Caitlin induced OD & an Andy induced injury to Lauren. The IC have their quarry, and they mean business. What Lorna did to those patients, was pretty heartless also, especially considering her own personal eXperience there.

And so the IC begins waging a propaganda war, rather successfully, I might add - #MutantUprising! The Struckers, OMG, they're such a mess. They're crumblin', just like Reed's power effect.

2 weeks from now, looks like it's time to Twist & SHOUT!

Mighty Member

My hatred of Andy skyrocketed.

I'm confused with Jace Turner. He needed to be convinced that using drugs to turn children into mindless battle machines was wrong ... but is not willing to be a part of the Purifiers. Paula is right. He needs to move on.

This episode was better balanced in terms of the action and soap were driven around an event that drove the episode instead of the other way around.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-16-2018 at 07:09 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    This episode was better balanced in terms of the action and soap were driven around an event that drove the episode instead of the other way around.
    Could the frost sisters be at least partially controlling Andy and Lorna?

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Also, love that Lorna's dad pulled some strings to get her out of that institution. Love that.

Ummmm so just found myself annoyed by some of the characters and arcs in general.

That cop arc doesn't need that much focus.

The Strucker family dynamic is boring. And they definitely made them mom look super lame this episode.

Going that far and being that desperate to get her son back. Yeah I get her pregnancy was hard. But it just didn't land well.

Daddy Strucker power issues.

I literally only have interest in the Inner Circle

Sister Strucker was annoying too.

Blink seemed different this episode and why did Thunderbird bring a hatches and blade against Lorna.

They need to get to the juicy bits already

I get they're trying to breakdown the Struckers to build them back up. But a lot of these characters are not likable right now. IMO.

"The Struckers, minus Andy, begin to rebuild their broken trust, while Thunderbird, Blink and Eclipse visit Wire, hoping to convince him to help again. But when they get there, they learn that something terrible has happened from Wire's brother, Graph. The team discovers that the Inner Circle is on the way to raid a mutant detention facility, so they make moves to try to intercept them. Meanwhile, Jace is contacted by a member of the Purifiers."

Agreed this is the first more action oriented episode and we will find out more about the various characters abilities I guess, such as Andy vs Lauren or whoever battles Thunderbird and Blink (looks like Polaris but could be misleading edit)

What will I watch for?

1) Purifiers what are they like

2) What is the mission the Inner Circle undertakes like, does it seem to have a noble purpose attached, will there be massive "collateral damage" or not

3) How good are the emotional moments particularly during these confrontations

4) Slightly more specific but what are Polaris' mutant abilities like now that she is no longer pregnant, back to the weakness of season 1 or something different
    1) Didn't get much but we saw they seemingly are tatted, reminiscent of sort of KKK/Aryan Nation infiltration of police departments.

Understandable Jace has resistance to that, but then of course he changes his mind after witnessing the heroic mutant soldiers stand up for themselves. Typical Jace and very similar to his initial moral qualms in season 1 re: Trask which he then overcomes in the name of "Justice".

2) Hmm can't say for sure if the purpose was completely noble seems somewhat practical self serving like "recruit new powerful ally" but I also think the message that was sent to mutants in general was a positive one. Collateral damage seemed relatively contained so that was good as well.

3) Well the Lorna vs Thunderbird/Blink scene was OK not amazing for me but OK.

Andy vs Lauren/Marcos was much much better.

4) Seems like we don't have a real answer to this one yet they felt pretty limited given she didn't really do much with them but maybe she CAN do a lot more just didn't need to this episode.

Good episode, saved all the good stuff for the end like usual, hope ratings will be OK! I gave this ep a "B". Can't quite give "A" because not quite enough action for my taste, and far too Underground oriented. But it was pretty good and watchable

Caitlin = dangerously psychotic villain

Marcos = ready to literally murder Lorna and Andy. So much for "saving" or "rescuing" anyone, glad that BS is out the window and we can stop pretending Underground are the good people now.

Andy calmly dispatched them both , of course with 0 intent to do serious harm and of course he has feelings for Lauren still. Maybe she'll eventually wake up and join him.

That Humvee was pretty impressive seeming, looked quite rugged and durable.

The scene with all the escaped patients running wild and even attacking one another was a bit stereotypical for "crazy people" but it was at least exciting

I do wonder if Lorna bears any moral culpability for that mutant being stabbed... maybe. But she didn't directly fight Thunderbird or Blink she simply gave them a distraction she knew they'd feel duty bound to deal with and stop chasing her.

It's sad Wire was killed by the Cuckoos, really really wish they could just mindwipe but I have to assume they simply can't. Wire wasn't exactly an angel with a heart of gold but still, that's the kind of thing that makes Inner Circle not have the sympathy it ought to among the fandom. Wish the show would tone some of that down and be a bit more nuanced.

Jace is back where he already should've been in episode 2... makes episode 2 feel wasteful regards to his character.

Looking very much forward to the next episode which seemingly will shift focus back to the Inner Circle and we can finally get their side of things, since this whole episode was so overwhelmingly full of Underground talking points even if they did begin to realize and accept that their friends don't need "saving". Glad they finally are starting to get that. Next step = realize their ex friends are not "evil" and are just a lot more proactive than themselves. Not sure they'll ever reach that next step but here's hoping.
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 10-17-2018 at 01:02 AM.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by shadowbox View Post
    I’m happy that they did away with the mutant siblings can’t harm each other thing for the comic. Always thought that was dumb. Also why are they not revealing Twist’s face? She’s an OC and doesn’t even have a cool look.

This show is so annoying.. Constant teases and way too light on the action. I wish we could get a CW-like show for X-Men characters. The Gifted and Legion are too ashamed to go full out comic.
    Yeah not revealing the patient is a little much considering one second later we see what has to be her in the preview lol

I actually like how this show is trying to blend realism with the comics, more sci fi. It definitely should have more action though I do agree about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    And damn, John takin' the damage, up close & personal like.

Clarice is really annoying me. Her deal with Erg seems to have had an adverse effect on her.

Mags gets a mention, Graph vs. Sage, Oh, and Caitlin's gone nuts.

What Lorna did to those patients, was pretty heartless also, especially considering her own personal eXperience there.

And so the IC begins waging a propaganda war, rather successfully, I might add - #MutantUprising!

2 weeks from now, looks like it's time to Twist & SHOUT!
    Yeah that was interesting showing T-bird just "tank" shotgun blasts. Kind of one of the best things you can do with a character like that (just ask Wolverine). I also was intrigued by him suffering so much from them, and actually requiring medical attention after. Puts a sort of limit on how durable he really is.

Blink was annoying for me as well this episode, way too self righteous but also way too much sarcasm again. I get they think that is her schtick, or maybe her coping mechanism for stressful situations but it is SO much.

Yeah the "her birth father pulled strings" was a sort of quite obscure Mags reference but it counts.

I was upset Graph overcame Sage, her brain is a literal computer, she should be the god in that world.

Caitlin (and Marcos, and Jace) have all gone nuts IMO.

Idk if Lorna freeing them was heartless but the stabbing was possibly indirectly her fault. But she bet that T-bird/Blink would help them out it was just a gamble to gain her time since she had no interest in directly battling them.

Yeah I think this act will inspire a lot of other mutants. Will it also inspire folks like Jace Turner? Sure. But that's inevitable for the greater good end result.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    My hatred of Andy skyrocketed.
    Shakes head slowly.... that is all

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Agree

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Could the frost sisters be at least partially controlling Andy and Lorna?
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Also, love that Lorna's dad pulled some strings to get her out of that institution. Love that.
    Yes super minor and "blink and miss it" reference but it was a reference

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Going that far and being that desperate to get her son back. Yeah I get her pregnancy was hard. But it just didn't land well.

I literally only have interest in the Inner Circle

Blink seemed different this episode and why did Thunderbird bring a hatches and blade against Lorna.
    Agreed with all 3, mostly #2 for sure

They turned Caitlin utterly obsessive and murderous , as they have done with both Marcos and Jace. Our heroes everyone. Stop the mutie menace! From... freeing more ... unjustly detained prisoners...? Or something? Yeah let's stop em

Blink is just WAY too sarcastic but yeah she has a bit of an "edge" and feels some emotional distance because of her whole Morlocks spy role I would guess

Some people said T-bird's axes were not made of metal but they SURE looked like they were. He is just damn lucky Blink is so wrong about Lorna being "bad" or I mean... she could have easily killed them both if she chose. Easily. Within seconds.

Hell, the Inner Circle could have taken out the entire Underground at any point in the past 6 months. They've not done it, and the Underground are desperately trying to attack (and KILL) them. But hey, Underground must be good. Because...? Idk

OBEY

Hell, the Inner Circle could have taken out the entire Underground at any point in the past 6 months. They've not done it, and the Underground are desperately trying to attack (and KILL) them. But hey, Underground must be good. Because...? Idk
    We must be watching a different show no where is the underground trying to KILL the Inner Circle until this show and it was after Reeva tried to kill Marcos at least that how it felt to him. There is no good guy and bad guys there is protagonists and antagonists. Inner Circle and Underground both have valid positions in true X-men fashion . Now if we are leaning to the tradition good bad guys stuff then Inner Circle body count is starting to get up there Inner Circle just this season has killed most of the members of the inner circle,various people who did work for them, and Wire. The Underground must be good Because? they aren't murdering innocent people yet while Reeva was very close to killing Andy. Will the Underground remain the traditional good guys? This show started to show the are willing to cross the line but for Good Guys yeah Team " we haven't committed mass murder twice" aka the underground get to where the white hat.

My thoughts on the episode

Last week I was fine with the Stuckers last week but this week my death watch is back on

1. Catlin,Andy, Reed Strucker are all tied for first place. I really should give Andy first place but they so heavy handy push Reed and Catlin character arcs that they easily tied Andy on the annoying scale.
    2. Lauren was plenty annoying as well but what will move up her into annoying race is if she wakes up and still believing in the power of love for her brother after he tried to hurt her

2. The whole drug the guy till he nearly dies was super telegraphed and felt amazingly cringe to watch

3. The rest stuff was just Meh.At least the show is finally beginning to move along after set up more stuff. I think we have one more set up episode where we find out more of the plan,who did they free and how the purifiers play a part in this but I think Gifted is going to really start to shine after next week show.

Random musing

- Let's give the Native American Guy the Tomahawk,He would have been fine with two knives ala Warpath.

- Reeva has really interesting planning,I mean Sage could have opened up all of the doors and Andy didn't to break through all of those walls

-The Underground is really "Outmatched" powerwise seriously Reeva,Cuckoos,Lorna and Andy by themselves can take out the Underground. Let us mentally prepare ourselves for the jobbing that needs to happen to make this a interesting fight.

- Speaking of powers please give Blink her light quils/arrows/knives

BANNED

This wasn't very good. Go back and look at all the things people were posted about being excited to see this week. None of it happened. None. There was no real action, nothing interesting - the best people can get excited about is a couple of vague Magneto references. The episode was a huge let-down.

Any casual viewers left to this show are going to start their exodus really soon. It's just not a well written show right now.