Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 99
  1. #76
    Astonishing Member Inversed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Hopeless left the ball drop on Spider-Woman badly. He should have made Peter Parker a reoccurring guest in Jessica's book instead of Silk. Why does Marvel feel that they need to cater the heroines towards girls(who are actually reading The Amazing Spider-Man). Hopeless could had brought at larger audience to Spider-Woman if he had created a story between Peter and Jessica for a story arc...
    While it would've been cool to see Peter and Jessica interact for a full story, Hopeless' Spider-Woman actually really benefited from not having to shove Peter into her story. Instead they could focus on her more established relationship with Carol, the more obvious connection with Ben, the surprisingly sweet relationship growth with the porcupine, and her baby. Honestly don't really see the book as catering "specifically for girls", felt fairly gender neutral to me, even when they focused on stuff like the town of abused partners.
    (Also Silk only appeared in the Spider-Verse tie-in and Spider-Women crossover in her book, that's it)
    Current Reading List: Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Sonic The Hedgehog, Absolute Carnage, Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man, Gwenpool Strikes Back, Runaways, The White Trees

  2. #77
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    45,438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    While it would've been cool to see Peter and Jessica interact for a full story, Hopeless' Spider-Woman actually really benefited from not having to shove Peter into her story. Instead they could focus on her more established relationship with Carol, the more obvious connection with Ben, the surprisingly sweet relationship growth with the porcupine, and her baby. Honestly don't really see the book as catering "specifically for girls", felt fairly gender neutral to me, even when they focused on stuff like the town of abused partners.
    (Also Silk only appeared in the Spider-Verse tie-in and Spider-Women crossover in her book, that's it)
    I feel like I need to ask the pre-requisite "Why would Peter even appear in a Jessica Drew book" question ?

  3. #78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I'd actually take 18 issues of ASM a year to get more consistent art again and encourage tighter plotting. Ignore everything I said earlier! Let the satellites come!
    I suspect Marvel's happy with selling more issues of a twice-monthly title as one of their best selling books. Maybe there are some readers who would pick up the book if there were less issues, but I doubt it would be anywhere close to enough to make up for the lost income of six profitable issues per year.

    Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Batman/'Tec and Superman/Action Comics are doing fine, so my initial though is that Spider-man absolutely should be maintaining a secondary title. I think this just proves that people aren't into what FNSM is selling.

    I'll be honest and say that I'm not a Taylor fan, I gave this a few issues and it wasn't for me. I find his writing to lack charm or likability. Ironically, I found the opposite with Dennis Hopeless (who also does the killing your heroes thing), who I'd love to see get a crack at a satellite SM title.

    I don't think it helped that this was sold on the idea of a more down to earth, smaller scale SM comic and within a few issues there was reality warping super-cults or whatever.

    I think Zdarsky's run is somewhat overrated (though overflowing with charm!) and I found his choice of story and pacing were a bit strange. Like, suddenly Peter has a sister (I know she was from Family Business) who is a super-spy and is the new Vulture and there are aliens and pan-dimensional travel and guest heroes. Also, Spidey was acting way out of character at points and the dating thing (though OOC) was a hilarious idea.

    It certainly was different, and I do absolutely understand why people were so happy with it but I wonder if part of that was anti-Slott sentiment or just wanting a new voice on the character.

    The again, maybe the lack of interest is because people are getting all the satellites they need with Mile's and Gwen's comics. Maybe they were getting it with Silk or Spider-Woman. We have had at least one alternative spider ongoing/mini to 616 Peter Parker Spider-man since USM launched, so maybe people simply don't want more 616 Peter.
    Detective Comics and Action Comics have a decades-long reputation so that it's not obvious that other titles are more important.

    Granted, (Adjectiveless) Spider-Man would probably do okay, but it may get a little confusing for readers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Well in the 21st century I'd agree with you.

    However satellite Spider-man books sold well for the better part of 25 years through the late 90s Marvel bankruptcy.
    The original Spectacular title ran for 263 issues, from 1976 thru 1998(bankruptcy)
    Next was Web of that ran for 129 issues, from 1985 to 1995
    Spider-man, no adjective that McFarlene started then became PP:Spider-man ran for 100 issues also. 1990 to 1998
    Unlimited, a quarterly book, had 22 issues from 1993 to 1998

    The character is good for a few satellite titles but they need a distant flavor which these four titles above did manage. All while ASM thrived, FIVE titles.

    Whose to say how some of the other lesser satellite titles they tried would've done if Bankruptcy hadn't been an issue.
    Sensational Spider-man was done during this but only went 33 issues, 1996 thru 1998 (some suggest this was a 'Web of' replacement).

    1998 tough year for Marvel fans.


    When I was reading them all it felt like the Spider-man editorial team essentially broke his rogues gallery up. Allowing for maximum development of all foes and support cast. A-list foes stayed largely in ASM, B-list in Spectacular with C-list and tryout characters in 'Web of' while Unlimited could tell stories from a range of places(by this time including 2099).

    New satellites need to do something like that.
    I don't think bankruptcy limited the satellite books.

    Spider-Man comics were consistent successes.

    However, the satellite books haven't done as well for some time.

    It's worth noting that when the satellite books were intertwined, any one title was inaccessible due to crossovers and references in the other book. And if you want to bring back four monthlies and a quarterly unlimited series, why not just have a weekly title? Instead of having a different creative team for each chapter of a crossover, you could have a different creative team for each complete story.

    It could also be that readers were conditioned to see satellites as expendable. If this is the case, it may take Marvel some time to reverse the trend.

  4. #79
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    While it would've been cool to see Peter and Jessica interact for a full story, Hopeless' Spider-Woman actually really benefited from not having to shove Peter into her story. Instead they could focus on her more established relationship with Carol, the more obvious connection with Ben, the surprisingly sweet relationship growth with the porcupine, and her baby. Honestly don't really see the book as catering "specifically for girls", felt fairly gender neutral to me, even when they focused on stuff like the town of abused partners.
    (Also Silk only appeared in the Spider-Verse tie-in and Spider-Women crossover in her book, that's it)
    Hopeless could had used the opportunity to establish Jessica's relationship with Peter Parker as well. Carol isn't the only close friend she has. While I agree that Peter doesn't need to shoved into her story, there are stories where they could work together. Especially if Jessica makes a non-crossover reoccurring guest appearance in the pages of Spider-Man and vice versa. Like Carol, Peter would be making a reoccurring guest appearance on occasion. It would have been nice if Hopeless had created a Spider-woman story where Peter Parker and Carol Danvers work alongside Jessica in a story arc. Together, Jessica Carol, and Peter would form Three's Company because they have that vibe between them.

  5. #80
    Fantastic Member Hugo Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Hopeless could had used the opportunity to establish Jessica's relationship with Peter Parker as well. Carol isn't the only close friend she has. While I agree that Peter doesn't need to shoved into her story, there are stories where they could work together. Especially if Jessica makes a non-crossover reoccurring guest appearance in the pages of Spider-Man and vice versa. Like Carol, Peter would be making a reoccurring guest appearance on occasion. It would have been nice if Hopeless had created a Spider-woman story where Peter Parker and Carol Danvers work alongside Jessica in a story arc. Together, Jessica Carol, and Peter would form Three's Company because they have that vibe between them.
    Now Pacheco has this opportunity. I hope she takes the opportunity to show both Spiders interacting.

  6. #81
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like I need to ask the pre-requisite "Why would Peter even appear in a Jessica Drew book" question ?
    Because Peter and Jessica are friends. I addition, the Spider-Man audience is much larger than Spider-Woman. Jessica(at least in my opinion) sees Spider-Man as a close friend in the same manner as Carol Danvers. Thus, this was the reason why I feel that Peter should make a reoccurring guest appearance as it would bring the Spider-Man readers to Jessica's world. It didn't hurt Brian Reed Ms. Marvel series where Spider-Man appeared 7 times throughout the entire 50 issue run. This gave the opportunity to transform Carol Danvers relationship with Spider-Man from professional to mutual relationship in the same manner as Jessica Drew. Too bad we have not seen any interaction between Peter and Jessica or Peter and Carol for the past 8 years because no writer was interest with further develop their respective friendship with Spider-Man.

  7. #82
    Fantastic Member Hugo Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    290

    Default

    I liked Peter and Jessica interacting in Bendis' Avengers:





    https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/original/9/96213/4418359-9619504840-Scan1.jpg

    Last edited by Hugo Strange; 11-21-2019 at 10:10 AM.

  8. #83

    Default

    One potential wrinkle is the Amazing Spider-Man schedule.

    Does making Amazing Spider-Man come out twice a month signal to readers that the major events in Peter's life occur in this book.

    It also complicates the satellite books when ten issues of Amazing Spider-Man are published in between the first and last chapters of a six issue storyline?

    On the other hand, does making Amazing Spider-Man more expensive creative an opportunity for an entry-level satellite book?

    The other question that hasn't been resolved is whether satellite books sell poorly because most satellite books won't sell well, or because the hooks just aren't that commercial. A review of Zdarsky's Spectacular Spider-Man credited him with telling all sorts of stories (time travel, secret siblings, intimate issue-long conversations) which isn't an easily explainable high concept and doesn't showcase how a series is different from Amazing Spider-Man.

    Would it work better if we had books with easily understandable concepts alongside the twice-monthly Amazing Spider-Man? If The Legendary Spider-Man were a monthly title with twelve issue runs by writers and/ or artists who had made their mark on the character before (Peter David & Giusepe Camuncoli followed by JM Dematteis & Terry Dodson.) and Web of Spider-Man were a team book focusing on Spider-Man's allies, a bit like the rebirth Detective Comics.

  9. #84
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    One potential wrinkle is the Amazing Spider-Man schedule.

    Does making Amazing Spider-Man come out twice a month signal to readers that the major events in Peter's life occur in this book.

    It also complicates the satellite books when ten issues of Amazing Spider-Man are published in between the first and last chapters of a six issue storyline?

    On the other hand, does making Amazing Spider-Man more expensive creative an opportunity for an entry-level satellite book?

    The other question that hasn't been resolved is whether satellite books sell poorly because most satellite books won't sell well, or because the hooks just aren't that commercial. A review of Zdarsky's Spectacular Spider-Man credited him with telling all sorts of stories (time travel, secret siblings, intimate issue-long conversations) which isn't an easily explainable high concept and doesn't showcase how a series is different from Amazing Spider-Man.

    Would it work better if we had books with easily understandable concepts alongside the twice-monthly Amazing Spider-Man? If The Legendary Spider-Man were a monthly title with twelve issue runs by writers and/ or artists who had made their mark on the character before (Peter David & Giusepe Camuncoli followed by JM Dematteis & Terry Dodson.) and Web of Spider-Man were a team book focusing on Spider-Man's allies, a bit like the rebirth Detective Comics.
    In my opinion, it would be best to have ASM published on a monthly schedule basis. This gives the creative team time to construct well thought out stories without the stress on the time commitments on their other projects. Look at what the twice a month commitment had done to Dan Slott's run on ASM?

  10. #85
    Kinky Lil' Canine Snoop Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    8,466

    Default

    ASM will never be 12 a year ever again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark
    That's what I have over Beelzebub now, Honoka-chan. He thinks he's a third-year school idol. I know what I am. And in this fight-- that makes me INVINCIBLE!

  11. #86
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,712

    Default

    They need to showcase something different in sattelite books.

    Detective Comics - Detective stuff/Mysteries/Batfamily
    Batman - Main Batman stuff.

    Action Comics - More OTT action stuff, currently more down to earth stuff
    Superman - Main Superman stuff.

    So I'd use Amazing as a springboard for unusual Spiderman stories, globetrotting/magic/cults/spies/comedy

  12. #87
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    In my opinion, it would be best to have ASM published on a monthly schedule basis. This gives the creative team time to construct well thought out stories without the stress on the time commitments on their other projects. Look at what the twice a month commitment had done to Dan Slott's run on ASM?
    Having ASM run twice a month did nothing negative for Slott's run. The people who don't care for Slott's style would complain about it just the same whether it came out once or twice a month.

    Coming out twice a month gives ASM the pace it needs. I have plenty of nostalgia for the days when ASM could come out once a month with satellite books filling in the gaps for a Spidey hungry readership but it's a different world now.

  13. #88
    Fantastic Member RD155's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Agreed. Having ASM come out twice a month wasn’t the issue with Slott for me. His stuff was just hit or miss and more miss then hit after a while. I don’t know how he was allowed to have such a long run on the title. Whether the title was once or twice, his ideas just weren’t good to me.

    Twice a month is a good idea for a title like this .

    As far as satellites go im always torn on them. Spider-Man does deserve some side titles because hellyou make a case that the X-men have 6-7 right now with plenty more on the horizon. However, a reader should never be “forced” to read other titles just to keep up with a story. It’s a Tightrope you have to walk by attempting to make the satellite title seem important and relevant without essentially forcing the reader to read it just to keep up with events from the “main” title.
    Last edited by RD155; 12-06-2019 at 07:59 AM.

  14. #89
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    Agreed. Having ASM come out twice a month wasn’t the issue with Slott for me His stuff was just hit or miss and more miss then but after a while. I don’t know how he was allowed to have such a long run on the title. Whether the title was once or twice, his ideas just weren’t good to me.

    Twice a month is a good idea for a title like this .

    As far as satellites go im always torn on them. Spider-Man does deserve some side titles because hellyou make a case that the X-men have 6-7 right now with plenty more on the horizon. However, a reader should never be “forced” to read other titles just to keep up with a story. It’s a Tightrope you have to walk by attempting to make the satellite title seem important and relevant without essentially forcing the reader to read it just to keep up with events from the “main” title.
    The key to a satelite title is this: Are the stories good and do you see character development? If they are then go for it. If it is just about extra $$$$ for Disney then forget it. I Do not expect perfection ( in my humble opinion, only Jesus Christ, pyramids and diamonds are perfect). I do not expect every story from Spencer to be good ( even Ditko had clunkers). But I expect quality more often then not. ASM under Dan Slott became the opposite. It got so bad, I expected to dislike every issue, and felt ASM would suck until he left the book. Did every issue suck? No but I came in expecting the worst, and after Silk, I decided to save time and money ( not to mention not wanting to be angry or ( at best) disappointed) and dropped the book. The 2099 story is disappointing ( especially the use of Doctor Doom), but after years of Slott and no new Spider-Man comics I can tolerate it.

  15. #90
    Fantastic Member RD155's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    The key to a satelite title is this: Are the stories good and do you see character development? If they are then go for it. If it is just about extra $$$$ for Disney then forget it. I Do not expect perfection ( in my humble opinion, only Jesus Christ, pyramids and diamonds are perfect). I do not expect every story from Spencer to be good ( even Ditko had clunkers). But I expect quality more often then not. ASM under Dan Slott became the opposite. It got so bad, I expected to dislike every issue, and felt ASM would suck until he left the book. Did every issue suck? No but I came in expecting the worst, and after Silk, I decided to save time and money ( not to mention not wanting to be angry or ( at best) disappointed) and dropped the book. The 2099 story is disappointing ( especially the use of Doctor Doom), but after years of Slott and no new Spider-Man comics I can tolerate it.
    No doubt this current Doom story is disappointing. Honestly Spencer’s run lately has been mediocre and creeping dangerously close to not enjoyable at all right now. I think the fact that what came before Spencer being so bad has influenced people into enjoying what’s going on right now in ASM. The expectations are just lower. I was on board with everything Spencer was doing but he just hit this wall and hasn’t recovered his balance consistently yet.

    Times like this call for another title just to get that Spider-Man fix because ASM isn’t cutting it currently.
    Last edited by RD155; 12-06-2019 at 10:46 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •