Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 99
  1. #61
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Satellite titles are definitely a good idea. Many classic stories would never have been told without a satellite to provide that additional space.

    If they don't sell as well as the main title, oh well. That's why they're satellite books. And sales are Marvel's concern, not mine. If it makes financial sense to Marvel for them to publish satellite books, they'll keep doing it. If it doesn't, they won't.

    But strictly as a fan and a reader, I like having at least one satellite title out there.
    The titles could do very well as long as they tell a story that was rarely featured in The Amazing Spider-Man. Sometimes, the satellite titles could provide an expanded view on stories that was overlooked in ASM, such as Peter Parker and Tigra working together on a case that was previous featured in the main series. After all, Tigra is a Police Officer with the NYPD.

  2. #62
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Strange View Post
    There are too many satellites. They compete with each other for the same public.
    Which is why they should be different from each other. The best method for the satellite books is to feature stories that was never explored in ASM. I would love to see The Morklocks(X-Men) become prominent features in the pages of Spider-Man's world. The idea for a satellite book is to features stories that is not in the pages of ASM. The idea of having stories that were once in the pages of The X-Men, Avengers, and other parts of the Marvel Universe to Spider-Man would be amazing. Spider-Man against The Shadowking would be epic...

  3. #63
    Spider-Fan Since '95 WebSlingWonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,414

    Default

    Spectacular Spider-Man comes back with a new 21-issue run and critical acclaim, including an Eisner win. Satellites are back in style.

    Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man sells to 14-issue run, mild to poor numbers, mild critical acclaim and solid fan appeal, and even got two more issues than originally planned. Signals the death of satellite titles.

    Maybe it's just the series/name? Creative team? I think a lot of factors go into a series not having high sales other than "Spider-Man satellites are dead". And increasing production on ASM would not be good. They have a hard enough time keeping up with 2 a month. What good would 3 a month do besides cause burnout?
    The Amazing, Spectacular, Sensational Web-Slinger!

  4. #64
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Spectacular Spider-Man comes back with a new 21-issue run and critical acclaim, including an Eisner win. Satellites are back in style.

    Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man sells to 14-issue run, mild to poor numbers, mild critical acclaim and solid fan appeal, and even got two more issues than originally planned. Signals the death of satellite titles.

    Maybe it's just the series/name? Creative team? I think a lot of factors go into a series not having high sales other than "Spider-Man satellites are dead". And increasing production on ASM would not be good. They have a hard enough time keeping up with 2 a month. What good would 3 a month do besides cause burnout?
    Remember when BND-era brain trust decided to cancel the satellite books in favor of featuring ASM 3-times a month? What Marvel should bring back is Avenging Spider-Man that would feature a core set of (Non-Spidey created) allies working together in a story arc. It could be model after Batman: Legends of The Dark Knight...

  5. #65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Spectacular Spider-Man comes back with a new 21-issue run and critical acclaim, including an Eisner win. Satellites are back in style.

    Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man sells to 14-issue run, mild to poor numbers, mild critical acclaim and solid fan appeal, and even got two more issues than originally planned. Signals the death of satellite titles.

    Maybe it's just the series/name? Creative team? I think a lot of factors go into a series not having high sales other than "Spider-Man satellites are dead". And increasing production on ASM would not be good. They have a hard enough time keeping up with 2 a month. What good would 3 a month do besides cause burnout?
    I started this thread when Spectacular was ending, so it's not based on a difference in reputation for FNSM.

    Even though Spectacular had some good reviews, and paved the way for Zdarsky's Life Story mini-series, it sold poorly after the first few issues, especially when you take into account the level of talent on art.

    There are a few factors that contribute to lower sales.

    Fans don't think satellites are important, something that is supported by various creative and editorial decisions over the years (JMS ignoring events outside ASM, Marvel publishing a thrice-monthly ASM solidifying the idea that this is the title where big things happen, Zdarsky telling a story that takes place over the course of several days and is published in the course of an year without touching events in ASM)

    As for what good a thrice-monthly Amazing Spider-Man would do, there is a simple answer: it could make more money.

    It also allows Nick Spencer, a decompressed writer to tell his stories faster. Readers are clear about how events in different stories are connected, when it's all in one book.

    There are going to be downsides. It requires more editorial coordination. There will likely be a decline in readers of Amazing Spider-Man, and even though total sales may go up, there could be long-term costs to some fans leaving the book.

  6. #66
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I started this thread when Spectacular was ending, so it's not based on a difference in reputation for FNSM.

    Even though Spectacular had some good reviews, and paved the way for Zdarsky's Life Story mini-series, it sold poorly after the first few issues, especially when you take into account the level of talent on art.

    There are a few factors that contribute to lower sales.

    Fans don't think satellites are important, something that is supported by various creative and editorial decisions over the years (JMS ignoring events outside ASM, Marvel publishing a thrice-monthly ASM solidifying the idea that this is the title where big things happen, Zdarsky telling a story that takes place over the course of several days and is published in the course of an year without touching events in ASM)

    As for what good a thrice-monthly Amazing Spider-Man would do, there is a simple answer: it could make more money.

    It also allows Nick Spencer, a decompressed writer to tell his stories faster. Readers are clear about how events in different stories are connected, when it's all in one book.

    There are going to be downsides. It requires more editorial coordination. There will likely be a decline in readers of Amazing Spider-Man, and even though total sales may go up, there could be long-term costs to fans leaving the book.
    Satelites are really for the hard-core fan, not the casual one. I acknowledge satelites can be important ( see Death Of Jean DeWolffe as just one example), but unless you subscribe to the comic and ( or) again are a hard core fan, they can easily be missed. I remember when the DeWolffe issues came out I ignored them. Why? They were not in my local store ( unlike Amazing), I was also busy with other things in life, so I did not get the issues until I found out what happened. Beyond that, there is the price involved in comics. I guess the best way to explain is by comparison. I live near Asheville, NC, and I am a big New York Islander and Pittsburgh Steeler fan ( but not big enough to buy NHL Center Ice and NFL Sunday Ticket. Why? Bcause of my in excess of $250 Dish and internet bill), but when it comes to the Yankees, I want those games, so I subscribe to MLB Extra Innings ( no matter the cost).

  7. #67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Satelites are really for the hard-core fan, not the casual one. I acknowledge satelites can be important ( see Death Of Jean DeWolffe as just one example), but unless you subscribe to the comic and ( or) again are a hard core fan, they can easily be missed. I remember when the DeWolffe issues came out I ignored them. Why? They were not in my local store ( unlike Amazing), I was also busy with other things in life, so I did not get the issues until I found out what happened. Beyond that, there is the price involved in comics. I guess the best way to explain is by comparison. I live near Asheville, NC, and I am a big New York Islander and Pittsburgh Steeler fan ( but not big enough to buy NHL Center Ice and NFL Sunday Ticket. Why? Bcause of my in excess of $250 Dish and internet bill), but when it comes to the Yankees, I want those games, so I subscribe to MLB Extra Innings ( no matter the cost).
    It was the norm for satellites to sell a lot better than they do now.

    Check out 1987. Amazing Spider-Man was 1th, Web was 21st and Spectacular was 23rd.
    https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...10Diamond.html

    Or 1998. Amazing in 18th. Peter Parker in 23rd. Spectacular in 26th. Sensational in 30th.
    https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...8/1998-04.html

    Amazing Spider-Man would typically sell better, but not to the extent it does now.

    Part of it is that readers were trained to see the satellites as mattering, especially due to crossovers and character developments referenced in multiple books.

    But I wonder if another factor is that Spider-Man fans had less choices. Now, you could get digital comics, reprint TPBs, back issues, with ease.

  8. #68
    Kinky Lil' Canine Snoop Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    8,518

    Default

    I'd actually take 18 issues of ASM a year to get more consistent art again and encourage tighter plotting. Ignore everything I said earlier! Let the satellites come!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark
    That's what I have over Beelzebub now, Honoka-chan. He thinks he's a third-year school idol. I know what I am. And in this fight-- that makes me INVINCIBLE!

  9. #69
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It was the norm for satellites to sell a lot better.

    Check out 1987. Amazing Spider-Man was 1th, Web was 21st and Spectacular was 23rd.
    https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...10Diamond.html

    Or 1998. Amazing in 18th. Peter Parker in 23rd. Spectacular in 26th. Sensational in 30th.
    https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...8/1998-04.html

    Amazing Spider-Man would typically sell better, but not to the extent it does now.

    Part of it is that readers were trained to see the satellites as mattering, especially due to crossovers and character developments referenced in multiple books.

    But I wonder if another factor is that Spider-Man fans had less choices. Now, you could get digital comics, reprint TPBs, back issues, with ease.
    I think it is oversaturation in the market and economics Look how many Spider-Man related titles are out and are coming out. Personally speaking it is only Amazing and MJ for me.

  10. #70
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Strange View Post
    There are too many satellites. They compete with each other for the same public.
    That is exactly right. I will throw in the cost of comics as well ( not exactly .15 cents anymore).

  11. #71
    Astonishing Member Captain Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    3,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Satellite titles have a history of lackluster sales. The big question is whether doing these is a good idea? Is it worth the low sales for whatever reason? Are there ways to do it better/ more successfully than we've seen in the last 15 years? Or should Marvel cut their losses, and just publish Amazing Spider-Man?
    Well in the 21st century I'd agree with you.

    However satellite Spider-man books sold well for the better part of 25 years through the late 90s Marvel bankruptcy.
    The original Spectacular title ran for 263 issues, from 1976 thru 1998(bankruptcy)
    Next was Web of that ran for 129 issues, from 1985 to 1995
    Spider-man, no adjective that McFarlene started then became PP:Spider-man ran for 100 issues also. 1990 to 1998
    Unlimited, a quarterly book, had 22 issues from 1993 to 1998

    The character is good for a few satellite titles but they need a distant flavor which these four titles above did manage. All while ASM thrived, FIVE titles.

    Whose to say how some of the other lesser satellite titles they tried would've done if Bankruptcy hadn't been an issue.
    Sensational Spider-man was done during this but only went 33 issues, 1996 thru 1998 (some suggest this was a 'Web of' replacement).

    1998 tough year for Marvel fans.


    When I was reading them all it felt like the Spider-man editorial team essentially broke his rogues gallery up. Allowing for maximum development of all foes and support cast. A-list foes stayed largely in ASM, B-list in Spectacular with C-list and tryout characters in 'Web of' while Unlimited could tell stories from a range of places(by this time including 2099).

    New satellites need to do something like that.
    Last edited by Captain Craig; 11-18-2019 at 08:24 AM.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

  12. #72
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Sudbury, UK
    Posts
    1,923

    Default

    Batman/'Tec and Superman/Action Comics are doing fine, so my initial though is that Spider-man absolutely should be maintaining a secondary title. I think this just proves that people aren't into what FNSM is selling.

    I'll be honest and say that I'm not a Taylor fan, I gave this a few issues and it wasn't for me. I find his writing to lack charm or likability. Ironically, I found the opposite with Dennis Hopeless (who also does the killing your heroes thing), who I'd love to see get a crack at a satellite SM title.

    I don't think it helped that this was sold on the idea of a more down to earth, smaller scale SM comic and within a few issues there was reality warping super-cults or whatever.

    I think Zdarsky's run is somewhat overrated (though overflowing with charm!) and I found his choice of story and pacing were a bit strange. Like, suddenly Peter has a sister (I know she was from Family Business) who is a super-spy and is the new Vulture and there are aliens and pan-dimensional travel and guest heroes. Also, Spidey was acting way out of character at points and the dating thing (though OOC) was a hilarious idea.

    It certainly was different, and I do absolutely understand why people were so happy with it but I wonder if part of that was anti-Slott sentiment or just wanting a new voice on the character.

    The again, maybe the lack of interest is because people are getting all the satellites they need with Mile's and Gwen's comics. Maybe they were getting it with Silk or Spider-Woman. We have had at least one alternative spider ongoing/mini to 616 Peter Parker Spider-man since USM launched, so maybe people simply don't want more 616 Peter.
    Just. Be. Nice.

  13. #73
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I'd actually take 18 issues of ASM a year to get more consistent art again and encourage tighter plotting. Ignore everything I said earlier! Let the satellites come!
    I would rather see Marvel return the the monthly format for ASM with a consistent artist. The biweekly format that was dominant for over a decade had limited storyline potential that could have been addressed in the satellite titles. Avenging Spider-Man had a very good potential as it could had been used for writers (who have never had the chance to write Spider-Man) to write a 3-part or 5-part mini series within a series. Marvel threw that away with the Superior Spider-Man Team-up with one writer(Chris Yost) whose guest characters are not memorable. Yost could had used The Black Widow with Spock, which could have led to her knowing the Spider-Man is not Peter Parker...

  14. #74
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Batman/'Tec and Superman/Action Comics are doing fine, so my initial though is that Spider-man absolutely should be maintaining a secondary title. I think this just proves that people aren't into what FNSM is selling.

    I'll be honest and say that I'm not a Taylor fan, I gave this a few issues and it wasn't for me. I find his writing to lack charm or likability. Ironically, I found the opposite with Dennis Hopeless (who also does the killing your heroes thing), who I'd love to see get a crack at a satellite SM title.

    I don't think it helped that this was sold on the idea of a more down to earth, smaller scale SM comic and within a few issues there was reality warping super-cults or whatever.

    I think Zdarsky's run is somewhat overrated (though overflowing with charm!) and I found his choice of story and pacing were a bit strange. Like, suddenly Peter has a sister (I know she was from Family Business) who is a super-spy and is the new Vulture and there are aliens and pan-dimensional travel and guest heroes. Also, Spidey was acting way out of character at points and the dating thing (though OOC) was a hilarious idea.

    It certainly was different, and I do absolutely understand why people were so happy with it but I wonder if part of that was anti-Slott sentiment or just wanting a new voice on the character.

    The again, maybe the lack of interest is because people are getting all the satellites they need with Mile's and Gwen's comics. Maybe they were getting it with Silk or Spider-Woman. We have had at least one alternative spider ongoing/mini to 616 Peter Parker Spider-man since USM launched, so maybe people simply don't want more 616 Peter.
    Hopeless left the ball drop on Spider-Woman badly. He should have made Peter Parker a reoccurring guest in Jessica's book instead of Silk. Why does Marvel feel that they need to cater the heroines towards girls(who are actually reading The Amazing Spider-Man). Hopeless could had brought at larger audience to Spider-Woman if he had created a story between Peter and Jessica for a story arc...

  15. #75
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Hopeless left the ball drop on Spider-Woman badly. He should have made Peter Parker a reoccurring guest in Jessica's book instead of Silk. Why does Marvel feel that they need to cater the heroines towards girls(who are actually reading The Amazing Spider-Man). Hopeless could had brought at larger audience to Spider-Woman if he had created a story between Peter and Jessica for a story arc...
    The reason why Marvel did this sad to say, is Political Correctless. Silk is a good example of this: Not only is she in Spider-Woman but in an All Asian team with Master of Kung Fu etc..The problem of course, is unless the story is excellent, you are limiting yourself to your targeted demographic audience. This is what happened with Charlie's Angels. The original movie had a cast and a story that could appeal to people regardless of gender. The new one, had Kristen Stewart and unknowns coupled with a preachy message so naturally it bombed.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 11-19-2019 at 11:23 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •