Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    No doubt this current Doom story is disappointing. Honestly Spencer’s run lately has been mediocre and creeping dangerously close to not enjoyable at all right now. I think the fact that what came before Spencer being so bad has influenced people into enjoying what’s going on right now in ASM. The expectations are just lower. I was on board with everyone Spencer was doing but he just hit this wall and hasn’t recovered his balance consistently yet.

Times like this call for another title just to get that Spider-Man fix because ASM isn’t cutting it currently.
    Amen to that. We need a satellite book to get a different voice from ASM. There are plenty of writers and artists out there who would love to make a Spider-Man book. Let's give them a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Having ASM run twice a month did nothing negative for Slott's run. The people who don't care for Slott's style would complain about it just the same whether it came out once or twice a month.

Coming out twice a month gives ASM the pace it needs. I have plenty of nostalgia for the days when ASM could come out once a month with satellite books filling in the gaps for a Spidey hungry readership but it's a different world now.
    And the thing is during Slott's run, it only actually ran twice a month during the Big Time and Superior eras. Once Peter came back in 2014, the book would switch between once a month and twice a month, either alternating every month or just when they felt like it.

I do think ASM benefits from being twice monthly, since it gives the story pacing some more time to do more with the resources it has within a smaller amount of time. Plus when you do get a story that's kind of a dud (like current arc for example), you only have to wait 2 and a half months for it to conclude rather than 5 whole months.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    The key to a satelite title is this: Are the stories good and do you see character development? If they are then go for it. If it is just about extra $$$$ for Disney then forget it. I Do not expect perfection ( in my humble opinion, only Jesus Christ, pyramids and diamonds are perfect). I do not expect every story from Spencer to be good ( even Ditko had clunkers). But I expect quality more often then not. ASM under Dan Slott became the opposite. It got so bad, I expected to dislike every issue, and felt ASM would suck until he left the book. Did every issue suck? No but I came in expecting the worst, and after Silk, I decided to save time and money ( not to mention not wanting to be angry or ( at best) disappointed) and dropped the book. The 2099 story is disappointing ( especially the use of Doctor Doom), but after years of Slott and no new Spider-Man comics I can tolerate it.
    Another Silk mention, everyone take a shot!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    And the thing is during Slott's run, it only actually ran twice a month during the Big Time and Superior eras. Once Peter came back in 2014, the book would switch between once a month and twice a month, either alternating every month or just when they felt like it.

I do think ASM benefits from being twice monthly, since it gives the story pacing some more time to do more with the resources it has within a smaller amount of time. Plus when you do get a story that's kind of a dud (like current arc for example), you only have to wait 2 and a half months for it to conclude rather than 5 whole months.

Another Silk mention, everyone take a shot!
    Why do you think people take shots at her? Maybe it has something to do with altering Amazing Fantasy 15 ( sort of like reinventing the wheel), or the fact she was a brutal character ( at least in Amazing)?

Astonishing Member

Having ASM run twice a month did nothing negative for Slott's run. The people who don't care for Slott's style would complain about it just the same whether it came out once or twice a month.

Coming out twice a month gives ASM the pace it needs. I have plenty of nostalgia for the days when ASM could come out once a month with satellite books filling in the gaps for a Spidey hungry readership but it's a different world now.
    Regularly rotating artists, as necessitated by a twice-monthly schedule, weakens a series' identity.

Having rotating artists is fine when you have a team of rotating artists like the last double-shipping era (Superior) and not the Spencer run where a completely new artist joins the book every other arc.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

It's preferable, but not ideal. It's weird that so many Marvel/DC comics take this approach, but often hire artists with wildly different art styles. Hard for a book to build an identity that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    In my opinion, it would be best to have ASM published on a monthly schedule basis. This gives the creative team time to construct well thought out stories without the stress on the time commitments on their other projects. Look at what the twice a month commitment had done to Dan Slott's run on ASM?
    I'm not sure there's any perceivable difference in quality between Slott wrote the book twice a month and when he had a slower schedule. He is also a slower than average writer.

It's worth comparing comics to other industries. The lead writers on a TV show will often be expected to write much more, and be restricted in their ability to take on other projects.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

It's also been a really long time since Amazing Spider-Man was a typical monthly for an extended amount of time.

During the Clone Saga, crossovers were more typical than not, so you couldn't just follow Amazing Spider-Man.

During the Mackie relaunch, we had the same guy writing two titles.

During the JMS run, Marvel increased production to 18 issues a month because there was more money that way.

A twice-monthly schedule makes more sense than any of those approaches.

It's better to have a title that can be followed independently, to have the same writer on one book rather than two, and to have a consistent schedule.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Having rotating artists is fine when you have a team of rotating artists like the last double-shipping era (Superior) and not the Spencer run where a completely new artist joins the book every other arc.
    I think the artists used during the current run have been selected for their respective arcs due to their individual strengths. I remember Spencer said Ramos was the go-to artist for Hunted as he is fast and Spencer wanted it to mirror the big arcs Ramos did with Slott. If the writer is big enough, they often suggest the artists they want for each story and the editor goes about getting them.

The current production schedule of modern comics means its incredibly difficult for most artists to do a monthly for a significant amount of time. Purely because there is greater attention to detail and the need to be "realistic". Which artists still working regularly can do a book month-to-month? JR jr can. Bagley was knocking Ultimate Spider-man out twice a month for about 2 years straight at one point.

If a book needs a rotating team of artists to ensure it comes out monthly, so be it. But I do agree that the artists should have a style that compliments the other. That way it helps give it a certain "look".

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

How was Taylor’s FNSM? I’ve got the first two issues, but haven’t read them yet. I figured I’d ask people who probably have read it their opinion on it first.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 01-03-2020 at 11:20 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    How was Taylor’s FNSM? I’ve got the first two issues, but haven’t read them yet. I figured I’d ask people who probably have read it their opinion on it first.
    Kinda odd that you are requesting an opinion on books you've already purchased? So if the opinions are all negative, are you just going to sit on those?

BTW, you actually passed up a thread that talks about that run to find and bump this thread. It actually has FNSM and Taylor in the title of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Kinda odd that you are requesting an opinion on books you've already purchased? So if the opinions are all negative, are you just going to sit on those?

BTW, you actually passed up a thread that talks about that run to find and bump this thread. It actually has FNSM and Taylor in the title of the thread.
    I bought the first two, but am thinking about picking up the rest of the run if I heard good things about it, as well as what I thought of it once I’ve read those two issues.

I forum searched Taylor, and didn’t notice the thread you’re talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post

A new reader with the first two issues might want to know what people think of the other 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I bought the first two, but am thinking about picking up the rest of the run if I heard good things about it, as well as what I thought of it once I’ve read those two issues.

I forum searched Taylor, and didn’t notice the thread you’re talking about.
    Here are two threads on the larger run.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...aylor+friendly
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ghlight=taylor
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    A new reader with the first two issues might want to know what people think of the other 12.

Here are two threads on the larger run.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...aylor+friendly
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ghlight=taylor
    Thanks so much. I’ll give them a read.

My preferred monthly schedule would be:

1st week: ASM
    2nd week: Venom
    3rd week: ASM
    4th week: Spider-Man Mini-Series (a.k.a. Symbiote Spider-Man)

That is a solid monthly schedule of Spidey lore. Plus, there’s the other character books (which I don’t read) to get more Spidey universe stories so there’s no need for satellite titles.

Amazing Mary Jane
    Black Cat
    Miles Morales: Spider-Man
    Ghost Spider

- Jason G. Carr