Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Sage and the Five

So had a thought today. What would happen if Sage joined the Five in resurrection. Using her power to activate second mutations into evolving there powers during resurrection. For example Beak could go in there and finally gain the actual ability to fly. What other mutations could benefit from this. Maybe some of the Monsters from Nightcrawlers last book, evolve them but let them keep their wits about them.

BANNED

Is this still a thing she can do? You'd think the nation of Krakoa would be all about some secondary mutations! (Also, it's a concept I like, in theory, if the secondary power is actually related in some way to the original.)

I think that's one power best forgotten, tbh.
    It has no link to her personality, power or history. Was it used outside of Beast and Lifeguard ?

BANNED

How does Angelica Jones's ability to generate microwave energy link to her personality and history for example?

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    How does Angelica Jones's ability to generate microwave energy link to her personality and history for example?
    Red is associated with fire. She's linked via aesthetics.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    I think that's one power best forgotten, tbh.
    It has no link to her personality, power or history. Was it used outside of Beast and Lifeguard ?
    She also uses it on:

- Rogue, to activate the full extent of her powers and let her use anyone she has ever absorbed, causing her to "burn out" and lose her powers for a while after.
    - Slipstream, to activate his latent mutant abilities.
    - Gambit, to reactivate and jumpstart his powers after he had temporarily lost them in X-Treme.

But all of those are in the same run.

Ultimate Member

I really liked 'Tessa's' living computer mind powerset, and thought it had tons of potential before Sage became a telepath / power-activator / mutant-detector and gosh knows what else. Claremont just kind of lost the plot, IMO, and kept tossing new stuff at her, and I lost interest quickly. (Although the art was amazing in that run.)

But Hope has also been suggested to have some sort of ability to tweak other people's mutations, which suggests that she could ensure that, if, say, Paralyzer (the Mutant Force / Resistants member who shoots electricity, but also has crab pincers for hands and feet, and can't wear shoes or wipe his butt or play with his peen) resurrected with his standard electrical powers, but also *hands!* Grabbers, for grabbing stuff! Pointers, for pointing at stuff! Thumbs, for gouging people's eyes! Wait... Isn't that what thumbs are for?

(Or perhaps a mutation that lets electricity play over his body and turn parts of him crabby and carapaced and pincer-y, when he wants to be, and zark, a different energy charge and he transforms back to a completely human-looking third-rate Electro.)

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    She also uses it on:

- Rogue, to activate the full extent of her powers and let her use anyone she has ever absorbed, causing her to "burn out" and lose her powers for a while after.
    - Slipstream, to activate his latent mutant abilities.
    - Gambit, to reactivate and jumpstart his powers after he had temporarily lost them in X-Treme.

But all of those are in the same run.
    Ah ! That series was wild I should probably read it again !
    I was talking about Sage and her powers. I have no problem with "secondary powers" when they're linked with the rest of what defines the character. Beast's beastly form, Nightcrawler's invisibility in the dark, Ultimate Kitty being able to be more dense, and the most egregious, Frost's diamond form, that fits her visuals, thematics and personnality. Sage's "reading dna and jumpstarting mutants" had no association with her previous established powers (telepath with high analysis capacity) and no thematic or aesthetic link with her character.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I really liked 'Tessa's' living computer mind powerset, and thought it had tons of potential before Sage became a telepath / power-activator / mutant-detector and gosh knows what else. Claremont just kind of lost the plot, IMO, and kept tossing new stuff at her, and I lost interest quickly. (Although the art was amazing in that run.)

But Hope has also been suggested to have some sort of ability to tweak other people's mutations, which suggests that she could ensure that, if, say, Paralyzer (the Mutant Force / Resistants member who shoots electricity, but also has crab pincers for hands and feet, and can't wear shoes or wipe his butt or play with his peen) resurrected with his standard electrical powers, but also *hands!* Grabbers, for grabbing stuff! Pointers, for pointing at stuff! Thumbs, for gouging people's eyes! Wait... Isn't that what thumbs are for?

(Or perhaps a mutation that lets electricity play over his body and turn parts of him crabby and carapaced and pincer-y, when he wants to be, and zark, a different energy charge and he transforms back to a completely human-looking third-rate Electro.)
    Yep. It's been mentioned Hope generally subconsciously better the mutant powers she helps ressurect. Like Xavier's TK, apparently.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

As much as I loved X-Treme X-Men and the work Claremont did on Tessa, and actually enjoyed the way she used her powers on Rogue, Slipstream, etc., I agree that telepathy + computer mind + genetic manipulation all became a bit too much.

To reply to the OP though, I'd argue that Sage's power the way it was described in X-Treme X-Men would actually make more sense within the Five that Hope's does.

Hope has always been described more as a power mimic than a power manipulator. She activated the 5 Lights before but never augmented or manipulated other mutants' powers at least as far as I recall... whereas that's exactly what Sage did on multiple occasions.

Sage is redundant with Hope in the mix

It is her history. She was created with those powers. They werent tacked on decades later

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    As much as I loved X-Treme X-Men and the work Claremont did on Tessa, and actually enjoyed the way she used her powers on Rogue, Slipstream, etc., I agree that telepathy + computer mind + genetic manipulation all became a bit too much.

To reply to the OP though, I'd argue that Sage's power the way it was described in X-Treme X-Men would actually make more sense within the Five that Hope's does.

Hope has always been described more as a power mimic than a power manipulator. She activated the 5 Lights before but never augmented or manipulated other mutants' powers at least as far as I recall... whereas that's exactly what Sage did on multiple occasions.
    Hope amplified the powers of the omegas in Planet Size X-men. From the beginning she was able to jumpstart mutations and stabilize them and thats where the power manipulation came from, which has since been expanded on. What Hope does with the resurrection is that she boosts and synchronizes The Five's powers so that they are used in perfect unison to make teh resurrections possible. Sage hasnt really manifested that skill
    Last edited by Havok83; 06-05-2023 at 05:09 PM.

I'd like to see maybe a "corrective" aspect. Since we're talking about activating genes, maybe "tweak" it so the mutant can better manage it. Firestar's power doesn't give her cancer... Jubilee doesn't burn off her hair... Synch doesn't speed up his aging... Elixir can FREAKING GROW BACK KARMA'S LEG AND HELLION'S HANDS AND CURE CYKE'S BRAIN DAMAGE!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shortpack! View Post
    I'd like to see maybe a "corrective" aspect. Since we're talking about activating genes, maybe "tweak" it so the mutant can better manage it. Firestar's power doesn't give her cancer... Jubilee doesn't burn off her hair... Synch doesn't speed up his aging... Elixir can FREAKING GROW BACK KARMA'S LEG AND HELLION'S HANDS AND CURE CYKE'S BRAIN DAMAGE!
    Yeah, a mutant version of Masque who can tweak another's mutation, perhaps only to 'un-twist' a mutation that is considered incomplete or has some drawback that doesn't seem likely to be intended, like that lady from PADs Madrox mini who had the power to ignite her body on fire like the Human Torch, but no immunity to the actual pain of what she was doing, or a mutant like Cyclops or Rogue or Wither who have no or inconsistent control of their mutation.

I'd love a character who was a one-person mutant 'Body Shoppe,' able to 'fix' mutations. The only character who explicitly seems to have had something like that was Tarn the Uncaring, and, frankly, he was not inclined to use his power to *help* his fellow mutants...

Quote Originally Posted by Shortpack! View Post
    The Five are already doing that, if the person asks.

It's been stated on panel why Cyclops and Karma don't want/need "fixes". Hellion hasn't died yet.
    As for the damaging powers... the only way would be to make them invulnerable or superhealing. Firestar's powers is litteraly what gives cancer to people.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Firestar's powers is litteraly what gives cancer to people.
    The Firestar thing is irksome because she was already cured of that, way back when she was an Avenger for a hot minute. She mentioned it to Hank Pym, and he designed a new costume for her that would regulate her body's radiation whatchamawhoozi so that she wouldn't be harmed by it, which she thought was pretty cool, and then he mentioned that her body would adapt to this new regulation in 'a month or two' and then it would be a permanent thing her body did, and she wouldn't need the special costume anymore. She almost broke down and cried that he not only designed something to protect her, but that it would completely cure her (by essentially training her body to regulate her powers the way it should have from the start) in a couple of months.

And then, she went back to the X-franchise, and she's back to her powers giving her cancer? I do not get it. Was she not interesting enough without the 'my powers are killing me' angst, like Cyclops refusing to get his eyes/brain fixed? I mean Xavier finally abandoned that damn chair, and Rogue may even be able to touch Gambit this week (I have no idea...) so a character doesn't *have* to remain saddled with a curable affliction...