Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Wait, Sports Illustrated is doing double covers for their commemorative issues now? Fine by me!

Serious question: since the champion Toronto Raptors are from the only non-American NBA city, do they meet with Canadian PM Justin Trudeau INSTEAD of US President Donald Trump or in addition to Trump?

I would love it if the answer is "instead".

BANNED

The Golden State Warriors are in bad shape. Let's hope the doctors give Durant and Clay good BPC ligament repair peptides so they can be back 100 percent next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeneuron View Post
    The Golden State Warriors are in bad shape. Let's hope the doctors give Durant and Clay good BPC ligament repair peptides so they can be back 100 percent next season.
    No realistic chance either of them come back to play at any point next regular season, and after this neither of them are rushing back for next year's playoffs. You aren't seeing KD or Klay next season.

And while I hope they eventually get healthy, I hope both of them bolt from the Warriors as free agents: Durant to the Nets and Thompson to the Clippers.

When does the parade in Toronto start?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Wait, Sports Illustrated is doing double covers for their commemorative issues now? Fine by me!

Serious question: since the champion Toronto Raptors are from the only non-American NBA city, do they meet with Canadian PM Justin Trudeau INSTEAD of US President Donald Trump or in addition to Trump?

I would love it if the answer is "instead".
    Damn good question. If memory serves, the last non-American team to win a championship in the four major sports were the Blue Jays who won the World Series in 1993. I don’t recall if they went to the White House when Bill Clinton was in office, but he wasn’t a fraction as polarizing as Trump who’s gone out of his way to antagonize athletes of color, and teams with predominantly African-American rosters, such as last year’s Warriors and the 2017 Super Bowl Champ Philadelphia Eagles already told him to pound sand when offered invitations. Will the Raptors follow suit? It wouldn’t surprise if an invitation isn’t made because it’s a Canadian team, plus, I think Trump is on the outs with Truedeau anyway, all the more reason to ignore the Raptors.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Breaking breaking, the Lakers and Pelicans have agreed to a deal for Anthony Davis with the Lakers trading Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, and three first-round picks, including the No. 4 overall in 2019 Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Breaking breaking, the Lakers and Pelicans have agreed to a deal for Anthony Davis with the Lakers trading Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, and three first-round picks, including the No. 4 overall in 2019 Draft
    Just got an alert about the trade. Lord have mercy, what a haul New Orleans got back for Davis. I hope LaVar Ball likes the food at Commander’s Palace. Heh!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Just got an alert about the trade. Lord have mercy, what a haul New Orleans got back for Davis. I hope LaVar Ball likes the food at Commander’s Palace. Heh!
    New Orleans just committed a robbery. That is NOW a scary team.

Ball is NOT happy according to someone on Twitter who claims to have filmed his reaction from a distance and he was NOT happy.

And Hart & Ingram posted too-BOTH are HAPPY.

Now Labrat got what he wanted now lets see him win it with Davis and whatever scraps of players they can get. Because right now that window is open for a limited time. The pressure is on them.

The three no. 1 picks is steep. The three players can be replaced by guys that can support Lebron and AD better.
    But we shall see, people said Toronto was crazy to trade for Kawhi for a one year rental.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 06-16-2019 at 06:08 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The three no. 1 picks is steep. The three players can be replaed by guys that can support Lebron and AD better.
    But we shall see, people said Toronoto was crazy to trade for Kawhi for a one year rental.
    I think the Lakers are banking on their future success making those picks pretty worthless, but there's always the chance that this whole experiment goes horribly awry and the Lakers handing over prime picks several years down the line long after blowing up the team. Then again, the Lakers have been pretty terrible at drafting for as long as I can remember, granted they usually are in contention and picking low, but they've had a run of high picks in the last few years and the results have been pretty mediocre, though Randle and Russell both went on to have success with other teams. Their usual MO is to poach All-Stars from other teams rather than developing their own, and this Davis acquisition fits that bill perfectly.

I'm not sure why New Orleans wants to trade that No. 4 pick, they're in full rebuild mode now so there's no point in trying to get an expensive veteran over taking a flyer on another top prospect that will be on a rookie deal for the next four years. Hell, why not package one of those Lakers pick to try to move up into the Knicks spot and snag RJ Barrett to team up with Zion? Nothing wrong with stockpiling young talent, even if the team chemistry doesn't quite shake out those guys can all be valuable trade assets.

Extraordinary Member

The Lakers have Lebron. Their entire strategy right now is win with in the next 3-4 years and hope he doesn't decline soon. They needed to do this. That's just where they are at. That can't wait to let young guys develop.

The Lackers gutted the roster and mortgaged their future for Davis, and there's ZERO guarantee the trade will reap rewards. At best, L.A. is no better than fourth or fifth in the West, and it'll still be a Herculean task to even make the playoffs, never mind go far once they get there.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The Lackers gutted the roster and mortgaged their future for Davis, and there's ZERO guarantee the trade will reap rewards. At best, L.A. is no better than fourth or fifth in the West, and it'll still be a Herculean task to even make the playoffs, never mind go far once they get there.
    They're guaranteed a deep playoff run as long as LeBron and AD can gel decently well and don't end up in an overblown struggle for alpha dog status, but this being the Lakers, what are the chances of that NOT happening? Also, the way the media portrays LeBron's constant search for "help" can't possibly sit well with the role players who are basically talked about as if they don't exist, even though every successful team has relied on guys who can come off the bench and provide shooting, defense, energy, or whatever. And who is going to step up and provide veteran leadership when the inevitable early struggles lead to even more intense media scrutiny?

The Lakers still have 30 million in cap space, you can assume they'll be an attractive destination for at least one of the big name FAs this year

The world champion Toronto Raptors will have their championship parade tomorrow starting at 10 AM EST.

Championship parades, IMHO, are the true epilogue to the NBA year. So the 2018-2019 season is basically in the books.

Which means it's time to wrap up this thread.

Thanks to all who participated in the thread the past year. I know it seems like each NBA season thread on CBR gets fewer and fewer responses that the year before, but I guess the Venn diagram of comic book readers and basketball fans on this site is just smaller than it is for other sports (esp the NFL). Be that as it may, I still enjoy reading and "writing" about my favorite sport here.

And no worries, the 2019 NBA Off-Season Thread will be getting started up on here shortly!

Peace.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 06-17-2019 at 09:05 AM.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Someone posted a Thanos meme about Lakers trading the whole team away for Lebron. It reminded me of this a year or two ago. That Lebron is THANOS...and he wields the Infinity stones lol...

"The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.