Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

that was certainly a lot better than his last return game

well entertaining for different reasons at least

Well it's been over a month into the new season. Time for a pulse check. Who are your Top 3 MVP candidates so far at this point?

Me:

3. Kawhi Leonard, Toronto Raptors

2. Giannis Antetokounmpo, Milwaukee Bucks

1. LeBron James, Los Angeles Lakers

LBJ gets it right now from me over the other two mainly by virtue of playing in the much tougher Western Conference.

Also, crazy thought:

What if the NBA added an Offensive Player of the Year (OPOY) Award?

Think about it: all those all-O no-D players could legit win a worthy award that counted mainly scoring and assists (looking at you current James Harden, prime Dirk Nowitzki and prime Steve Nash).

All those all-D no-O players would still have their valid Defensive Player of the Year (DPOY) Award to chase (hello, current Rudy Gobert, prime Ben Wallace, and prime Tony Allen).

Having those TWO awards would then free up the Most Valuable Player Award to be reserved strictly for the best two-way players in the league.

It would also open the door for the rarest individual accomplishment in the sport:

The Basketball Triple Crown.

Can you imagine one player winning the OPOY, DPOY, and MVP awards, all in a single season??? All-time greatness right there.

I can think of only 2 two-way players in NBA history who would have pulled it off for sure: Wilt and Jordan.

I could also see Kareem, Hakeem, and LeBron going for it.

Maybe both Robinsons (David and Oscar) as well.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 11-23-2018 at 06:14 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Maybe both Robinsons (David and Oscar) as well.
    Oscar's last name was Robertson.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    Oscar's last name was Robertson.
    Ye gods, I knew I should have waited until after my first coffee of the day to post that. I have sports-blasphemed. Or just slurred their last names together ...

So, uh, how about poor Markelle Fultz? Where should he go from here?

Warriors lose to the Raptors in a pointfest last night. Finals preview maybe? The Raptors were really scary last season, too, but then flopped come playoff time (thanks to a Lebron-led Cavaliers)
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

My Detroit Pistons beat the world champion Golden State Warriors! And they had Steph Curry back too!

Eastern Conference Finals 2019 here we come!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

My Sixers topped Memphis 103-95 last night for their eighth win in their last nine games behind 24 points by JJ Redick and double-doubles by Joel Embiid (15 pts, 14 rebs) and Ben Simmons (19 pts, 12 rebs). as of this morning, Philly (17-8) is three games behind Toronto in the Atlantic division.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Just got an alert from Bleacher Report that the 5-19 Bulls canned Fred Hoiberg.

Lebron and Wade's final matchup went about as perfectly as you could ask, with the game ending on with Lebron guarding a Wade attempt to tie the game

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Lebron and Wade's final matchup went about as perfectly as you could ask, with the game ending on with Lebron guarding a Wade attempt to tie the game
    One of those guys is a stone-cold lock as a future first-ballot Hall of Famer and also the greatest player of his franchise's entire existence.

The other guy? It's murky: He may, or may not, end up as widely-accepted greatest player of all time in his sport.

In other "news", the Clippers are openly aiming to bag BOTH Kevin Durant AND Kawhi Leonard next summer with enough cap space by then for 2 max contracts.

I can't see KD going anywhere that he is not immediately and undoubtedly the Alpha on the squad. That's the only reason he'd leave the Warriors in this first place (jealous of Steph).

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    In other "news", the Clippers are openly aiming to bag BOTH Kevin Durant AND Kawhi Leonard next summer with enough cap space by then for 2 max contracts.

I can't see KD going anywhere that he is not immediately and undoubtedly the Alpha on the squad. That's the only reason he'd leave the Warriors in this first place (jealous of Steph).
    That would explain rumors of Durant wanting to go to the Knicks which has been a dumpster fire for at least the last decade now. I guess KD subscribes to Lucifer's dictate about preferring to rule in hell (New York) than serve in heaven (Golden State).

Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Anthony Davis has requested a trade out of New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Anthony Davis has requested a trade out of New Orleans
    Yeah, I heard about that too. Can't say I'm surprised, it was only a matter of time. As to a possible landing spot, to quote Captain Renault from Casablanca, round up the usual suspects, in this case, they being the Lakers, Celtics and Warriors. It'll be interesting to see what happens next.

I mean he's one of those players that you throw just about any assets you have to get short of a handful of players in the league

Edit: Interesting to note that Boston by rule CANNOT trade for Davis right now because of Kyrie's contract and only being allowed one rookie super deal on a roster
    Last edited by Hiromi; 01-28-2019 at 09:10 AM.